D III State Semi-Final: Bloom Carroll (13-1) vs Tippecanoe (13-1)

Who wins?

• Tippecanoe

Votes: 35 51.5%
  • Bloom Carroll

Votes: 33 48.5%

• Total voters
Should BC even show up?
I know nothing about BC, you care to share? I think people are just impressed by Tipp beating Badin and their performance the whole season. Tipp’s QB is absolutely legit, with over 2,000 passing yards on 70% completion with 900 rushing yards. Tipp’s defense is also legit and they are just so well coached, they rarely make mistakes and they force the other team to make mistakes, plus they have the best kicker in the state.

Don’t know how the Tipp/Badin game went, but one thing in the back of my mind for this one is (if all other things are equal) I would probably prefer to be in Tipp’s shoes than BC’s from a mental standpoint. BC made the Final Four for the previous two seasons — rough loss to MLC first time and a loss to Clinton-Massie that still gives people night terrors.

Game vs Watty on Friday: combination of grit and good fortune. Game vs C-M last year: had grit, but poor fortune in the worst way. It can be really tough to kill the demons of repeated losses that come at a specific stage of a tournament; doesn’t matter the sport or school. And it’s not a matter of looking ahead or lack of preparation: if BC beat C-M last year I’d feel differently on this… kids who win at X stage as underclassmen/juniors return as seniors who don’t take hits to confidence (doesn’t mean they repeat victories by default, but they can see the game better); kids that eat a loss or two by the same token can take different trajectories when they return as seniors. Those trajectories can be positive and thoughtful, or they can be a little emotional and get ‘caught up.’

I don’t know what Tipp people’s expectations were, but outside-looking-in it looks like a “house money” situation at this point after dethroning Badin. That can be a slight advantage in the Kids’ Game.

Don’t know how the Tipp/Badin game went, but one thing in the back of my mind for this one is (if all other things are equal) I would probably prefer to be in Tipp’s shoes than BC’s from a mental standpoint. BC made the Final Four for the previous two seasons — rough loss to MLC first time and a loss to Clinton-Massie that still gives people night terrors.

Game vs Watty on Friday: combination of grit and good fortune. Game vs C-M last year: had grit, but poor fortune in the worst way. It can be really tough to kill the demons of repeated losses that come at a specific stage of a tournament; doesn’t matter the sport or school. And it’s not a matter of looking ahead or lack of preparation: if BC beat C-M last year I’d feel differently on this… kids who win at X stage as underclassmen/juniors return as seniors who don’t take hits to confidence (doesn’t mean they repeat victories by default, but they can see the game better); kids that eat a loss or two by the same token can take different trajectories when they return as seniors. Those trajectories can be positive and thoughtful, or they can be a little emotional and get ‘caught up.’

I don’t know what Tipp people’s expectations were, but outside-looking-in it looks like a “house money” situation at this point after dethroning Badin. That can be a slight advantage in the Kids’ Game.
Going into this season most people were expecting a 7-3 type season. Even at the beginning of the playoffs most people, myself included thought it would be a close game against Trotwood, then Tipp blew them out. I would definitely say Tipp is playing with house money.

Let’s look at both teams victories over teams with atleast 7 wins
Tippecanoe-
Bellbrook D3 9-3 (14-10)
Troy D2 7-4 (21-7)
Piqua D2 9-3 (23-20)
Trotwood Madison D3 7-5 (43-14)
Western Brown D3 11-2 (41-30)
Badin D3 13-1 (20-17)

Lost to Xenia D2 10-1 (22-27)

Bloom-Carroll-
Logan Elm D4 8-3 (41-20)
Tri Valley D3 9-3 (20-7)
Sheridan D3 11-2 (17-7)
Bishop Watterson D3 12-2 (33-28)

Lost to Harvest Prep D5 13-1 (7-20)

Let’s look at both teams victories over teams with atleast 7 wins
Tippecanoe-
Bellbrook D3 9-3 (14-10)
Troy D2 7-4 (21-7)
Piqua D2 9-3 (23-20)
Trotwood Madison D3 7-5 (43-14)
Western Brown D3 11-2 (41-30)
Badin D3 13-1 (20-17)

Lost to Xenia D2 10-1 (22-27)

Bloom-Carroll-
Logan Elm D4 8-3 (41-20)
Tri Valley D3 9-3 (20-7)
Sheridan D3 11-2 (17-7)
Bishop Watterson D3 12-2 (33-28)

Lost to Harvest Prep D5 13-1 (7-20)
BC also played teays valley 5-5 D2
Tipp must stop the run. Can they?

Tipp is better than they look on film and in person, they will not wow you with size or speed. A scrappy bunch that flies to the ball on defense. Offense is serviceable and balanced. Badin ran the ball on Tipp and Badin isn't a great running team in '22. The area that Tipp beat Badin in was the red zone. Badin made 2 trips there in the first half that could have turned the tide in the game and came away with 3 points.

Tipp is going to use a slant and angle 50 defense to try and stop BC. They are going to give up yards but you have to finish in the red zone, Badin didn't.

Tipp has a great kicker, BC will likely start all their drives from the 20... you'll need to go 80. 6 of 8 Badin drives started at the 20. Special teams killed Badin, a blocked punt, blocked fg and 2 long ko returns ultimately doomed the Rams.

I haven't watched BC but Tipp is a well coached scrappy bunch that made plays in the regional when Badin didn't. Controlling the clock and finishing with TDs instead of fg will be your recipe for a victory.

Tipp QB is good football player. Kid makes plays, he wont wow you getting off the bus but hes a solid fb player. He made 3 throws vs Badin that will likely make him a legend in Tipp City. Overall Badin D limited Tipp (270 yds total and 70ish rushing) but like I said they made plays when they needed them and earned the victory.

Good luck to both teams Friday 👍

Depends on the style.

Earlier in the season I would have said that if Bloom-Carroll had a lot of size and just ran power between the tackles, Tipp would struggle to stop them. Against Xenia and Troy (to some extent), they lined up with big offensive lines and handed the ball off to big backs and got 4-5 yards per carry without trouble until they either 1. got greedy and threw the ball, or 2. had a penalty.

Lately it appears Tipp has figured out how to adjust to their size disadvantage better though, as it's not like Badin ran all over them when they did run the ball, and Tipp also had decent success against the run when teams like Piqua and Trotwood ran the ball.

So... it'll be interesting to see what improvements Tipp had made in their run defense with this level of test on the horizon. Tipp often plays a bend-but-don't-break defense, so if they can get you behind the sticks with a holding penalty or getting ahead of themselves and throwing the ball, that's where Tipp can take advantage.

DIII is wide open. Tipp City has had a very difficult path to get to this point, and Bloom Carroll will be another difficult test. I do favor the Red Devils though. I think they're balance on offense coupled with their defense, will get the job done. They're comfortable playing in a shootout, similar to the Western Brown game. They're comfortable playing in a defensive battle, similar to the Badin game. I'll go with:

Tipp City 21
Bloom-Carroll 14

Tipp has excellent special teams. They do not turn the ball over, and they have a great red zone defense. Tipp has been outgained in 5 games that they won, and that is because of their bend-don’t break style of defense. With their elite kicker, they are going to make you drive 80 yards every time. They are smaller on the D-line, but they are extremely quick, and their linebackers are big and fast. They have 4 really good DBs and they keep everything in front of them. Rarely do they give up big plays.

Does Tipp get to be the home team this time so that can have more room for fans? Trotwood's visitor side wasn't too big and I suspect Tipp will bring a good crowd, unless the holiday holds people back.
I was at the game Friday and there was plenty of room in the stadium. Neither side was full. The Wapak/Badin game at the same venue seemed to have a larger crowd. I'm guessing the cold kept some folks at home.

I was very impressed with the Tipp D. Badin moved the ball, but Tipp held in the redzone. Tipp QB made two of the best throws I've seen all year. Both well defended and he put them on the money for TD's. And the kicker is a difference maker. Few high school teams have a weapon like that on special teams. I thought Badin was a couple of scores better than them but I was wrong. Don't know anything about BC so making a prediction on this game would be useless. Good luck to the Red Devils. Knocking off Badin was no small task, keep it rolling.

The BC O-Line... 6’4 265, 6’4 280, 5’10 270, 6’10 305, 6’ 330, and 6'3 250
They are going to pound you and pound you, they wont stop. Then they will bring in an even larger set and pound you some more. Just ask Watterson
6’10?? Is that a typo or legit?

Bloom Carrolls line might be huge, but I actually think that’s an advantage for Tipp. Tipp’s DTs are all really quick off the snap and stay low, slanting into different gaps, it’s part of Tipp’s 5-2 scheme. BC lineman may be big but I guarantee that are not that quick or agile and they are gonna have trouble with Tipp’s DTs shooting gaps

This battle could come down to redzone success and avoiding turnovers. BC had none vs BW. Unsure of Tipps turnovers vs Badin. BC has a solid FG kicker who has the big leg. I read Tipp also has a superb FG kicker. Could the game come down to a FG Walk-off block or win?

They are going to pound you and pound you, they wont stop. Then they will bring in an even larger set and pound you some more. Just ask Watterson
Ask Bishop Watterson What?

This type of offense doesn't play out if you get behind. It's a boring gimmick offense that if Tipp can get a stop and score or two causes problems. This is where they have gotten lucky so far in the playoffs. They have taken advantage of mistakes, every team to be in the final 4 has gotten some breaks go their way be it a tipped pass or a mishandled exchange. Someone mentioned Tipp is playing with "House Money" and that statement couldn't be more accurate. They have gotten a few breaks that put them in winning situations.

Tipp hasn't seen a team or defense like Bloom-Carroll.
Are you claiming BC defense is better then Badin or others tipp has played. I'll beg to differ. Watterson pretty much did what it wanted. Watterson soph running back at 175 lbs had 105 yds and a td. Watty QB went 16-21 for 225 yards. WR were wide open most of the night. I wish watty would have looked at RB screens or short passes as those were totally uncovered.

Having watched 12 of the 14 Watty games I can say, Desales, Hartley and Jackson all had better defenses then BC. #11 is crazy good and makes a lot of plays but besides that it is NOT top end.

The off line is huge and its very good but not great (well #72 is pretty great) but what sets them apart is the HUGE RB they use on third and short. They run #11 at 6'3 225 and he gets all the 3rd and under 3's by just using size. I'll guess he picked up 6-8 of them when we were shutting down 1st and 2nd downs. Not a shifty back but huge. #19 also huge well over 200 lbs RB and #7 is a real RB who is small but very quick and cuts extremely well. very good player.

I don't know Tipp but BC is an Off running team that is very tough. Its def is good but I highly doubt as good as Badin's was. It loads the box a lot too so if Tip can pass it will hurt BC. They looked lost on 5 WR sets for sure. Also, BC plays like 50% of the kids both ways. They really on a few kids that are tremendously good, really hard.

Bloom Carrolls line might be huge, but I actually think that’s an advantage for Tipp. Tipp’s DTs are all really quick off the snap and stay low, slanting into different gaps, it’s part of Tipp’s 5-2 scheme. BC lineman may be big but I guarantee that are not that quick or agile and they are gonna have trouble with Tipp’s DTs shooting gaps
Every defensive line has been smaller. Maybe quicker. But yet here BC is lining up this Friday for some “pounding” … “that won’t stop” As CBusGuy23 stated. CBus knows lol

Every defensive line has been smaller. Maybe quicker. But yet here BC is lining up this Friday for some “pounding” … “that won’t stop” As CBusGuy23 stated. CBus knows lol
Its not about the dline tipp will have most likely. It will be LB's. BC line big enough to create time to backs to get to hole but 2 of the backs are HUGE with good momentum nearly impossible to get negative runs on. They got 3-5 yds even when you hit them. Watty played plenty of "big backs" but these were extra big with more speed the 225 lb dudes should have in a straight line! The little one #7 is quick and good vision but goes down like a normal back. Got to blitz a lot!

Its not about the dline tipp will have most likely. It will be LB's. BC line big enough to create time to backs to get to hole but 2 of the backs are HUGE with good momentum nearly impossible to get negative runs on. They got 3-5 yds even when you hit them. Watty played plenty of "big backs" but these were extra big with more speed the 225 lb dudes should have in a straight line! The little one #7 is quick and good vision but goes down like a normal back. Got to blitz a lot!

The two best players on Tipp's defense are their two linebackers:

Josh Dietz: 6'1" 188lbs (or 6'1" 205lbs according to his hudl), Sr., arguably the best overall football player on the team
Cael Liette: 5'11" 161lbs (or 6'0" 180lbs according to his hudl), Jr., not huge, but has good speed for a linebacker and is a sure tackler

I'm a bit nervous for Tipp given Bloom-Carroll's size if they're able to push Tipp off the ball and just drive downfield for a handful of yards each play, but if it comes down to Tipp's linebackers, they've got some solid ones.