D II State Semi-Final: Massillon (12-1) vs Archbishop Hoban (13-1)

Who wins?

• Hoban

Votes: 121 55.8%
  • Massillon

Votes: 96 44.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In reading the Hoban - STVM thread about the two schools not playing in football anymore, the arrogance of some of the Hoban people is ridiculous. Everything at Hoban has changed since the dynasty began. I don’t know if it’s Tim Tyrell and the culture there or what, but the institution is nothing like it used to be. And to actually see some of the Hoban people on here complaining because schools like Lake Catholic, NDCL and Padua won’t play is hilarious. Lake Catholic is a Division IV school. You play St. Edward for God’s sake and you’re mad that LC won’t play. Not our fault you guys can’t find games. So now your rival STVM has dropped you. Maybe it’s time for Hoban to do some soul searching and see why nobody wants to play.

With all that said, Go Massillon Tigers!
Don't know about the LC situation (I thought they were closing....lol), but Hoban has an absolute legit gripe about St V. St V is a bunch of hypocrites who form all star team after all star team in basketball, but when Hoban does it in football they take their ball and go home crying to mommy? Naw, sorry, I can't get on board here, sans LC.

Don't know about the LC situation (I thought they were closing....lol), but Hoban has an absolute legit gripe about St V. St V is a bunch of hypocrites who form all star team after all star team in basketball, but when Hoban does it in football they take their ball and go home crying to mommy? Naw, sorry, I can't get on board here, sans LC.
With 6 state championship I would say St. V had their day in the sun with all-star football teams.

Drew Pasteur’s rankings had 5 of the Top 10 teams in D2 coming from Region 5. Region 7 only had Massillon in the Top 10. Lake would be next at #13.
Interesting but doesn't answer my question. Massillon beat a Federal league co-champion to make it to the final 4. Hoban beat the Suburban National league champs. Which team and league would you consider the stronger of the two?

Interesting but doesn't answer my question. Massillon beat a Federal league co-champion to make it to the final 4. Hoban beat the Suburban National league champs. Which team and league would you consider the stronger of the two?
You actually asked 2 questions. You asked if Hoban was in an easy region. Region 5 is better top to bottom than Region 7. It's really not that close. Hoban and Massillon were clearly the best 2 teams in each region though.

You actually asked 2 questions. You asked if Hoban was in an easy region. Region 5 is better top to bottom than Region 7. It's really not that close. Hoban and Massillon were clearly the best 2 teams in each region though.
l would say Lake would be the second best team in region 5. I think from top to bottom the Federal league is a better league than the Suburban National league. JMO

His post also completely misrepresents the sentiment. It's obvious why Padua, LC and NDCL have moved on. The point was, STVM is not those schools, and is more than capable of getting and developing players to compete on the field with Hoban, as their regular season game this year shows. It's all about a few, aggrieved adults who don't care what the players want, the students want, or the alumni wants.

It wouldn’t matter which region these 2 teams were in they would still be where they are now. Give it a rest, you try so hard but it’s always pointless as to the game going to be played. 🤦🏻‍♂️

If it doesn't make much a difference, the OHSAA always choose to maximize the inconvenience.
Huh? This does exactly the opposite. It's always about travel, and they always send the Toledo teams down 75 to play vs the SW OH region in this situation. You now have 2 teams traveling about 90 minutes to play instead of all 4 having to do it.

It wouldn’t matter which region these 2 teams were in they would still be where they are now. Give it a rest, you try so hard but it’s always pointless as to the game going to be played. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I couldn't agree more!! This is the matchup everyone was looking forward to, both teams took care of business and here we are. Some people over analyze it. Time to strap on the pads and get after it next Friday. If anyone thinks Lake was an easy opponent they are nuts!

"If anyone thinks Lake was an easy opponent they are nuts!"

Lake is a fine opponent and program.

But based on some of the comments around here about other sporting topics, I'd say plenty of people are nuts and the state of mental health in this country is equivalent to the Tom Arth years at Infocision Stadium.

And speaking of Infocision Stadium, while I'd love to see images of Wes Chandler, Charlie Joiner and Air Coryell lighting up the scoreboard in a high octane game....that ain't happening.

Since many others have submitted a prediction, so will I. I'll submit multiple predictions:

1. Tigers win 17-6.
2. Next to no one will be looking to WHBC or Gannett for game coverage or analysis.
3. This will be the biggest crowd at Infocision during the Joe Moorhead Zips season of 2022.

That's all I got, it ain't much, I could be wrong, I hope I'm right, it's Saturday morning and I need more coffee.

Last edited:
I think this will be a good game. Sperling is great but Massillon’s D is the best I’ve seen since 2005. Massillon hasn’t had to load the box to stop the run either so Long won’t have an easy time throwing over the top. Yards will be tougher for Hartson against Hobans front 7 so Moore is going to finally have to open the playbook a little more. Slaughter will have to have a good game like he did vs St Ed’s.

This should be a good one
You have to commit extra people to Hoban's run game, or you have no chance to stop it. Sperling is almost always great, but their starting o-line has finally gotten back and healthy the last few weeks, and it's made a noticeable difference in what the run game has looked like.

l would say Lake would be the second best team in region 5. I think from top to bottom the Federal league is a better league than the Suburban National league. JMO
I disagree that Lake would be the second best team in Region 5. Drew Pasteur would have them as the 6th best team in Region 5. Lake is an excellent team for sure though. I agree that the Federal League is a better league than the Suburban National League but Region 5 is much more than the 3 teams in the Suburban National.

I agree it wouldn't matter which region Massillon and Hoban were in, but that's a straw man argument. It doesn't change that Region 5 is better top to bottom than Region 7.

I disagree that Lake would be the second best team in Region 5. Drew Pasteur would have them as the 6th best team in Region 5. Lake is an excellent team for sure though. I agree that the Federal League is a better league than the Suburban National League but Region 5 is much more than the 3 teams in the Suburban National.

I would take Lake in a head to head game with Hudson. We will never know.

I agree it wouldn't matter which region Massillon and Hoban were in, but that's a straw man argument. It doesn't change that Region 5 is better top to bottom than Region 7.
Let's see. This is a Massillon and Hoban thread. You mention Massillon and Hoban in your posting. Yep! You must be trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.