D II State Semi-Final: Massillon (12-1) vs Archbishop Hoban (13-1)

Who wins?

• Hoban

Votes: 121 55.8%
  • Massillon

Votes: 96 44.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Eds the only common opponent? If so, a bad measure of how this one will go. Eds played their best game against Hoban.

This should be a great one. Hard to pick a favorite. Massillon's front 7 needs to show up and be ready. If they can hold, they'll be fine.

Trust us we know. Their last 2 games were ridiculous. If anything it shows either of you can be beat if not playing well and Massillon is, so we'll take that. Massillon will need a break or 2 and a big play here or there. But if Hoban or Ed is playing lights out, well... they're runaway trains.

Should Massillon beat Hoban and then go on to win the state title, is it possible that a college coaching position my be offered to Moore? If so, would he take it?
Wildcat, I've got a little more time this morning. Your question deserves more than a simple yes or no answer. Plus I've had some time to think about it. My speculation on the matter is informed by some 7 1/2 years of relationship with Nate, during which I've formally interviewed him some 150-200 times I think, as well as just being around each other a heck of a lot.

The quick take is that I think Nate and his wife, Becca, and their son and daughter are so happy in Massillon that it would take an extraordinary offer for them to leave. They enjoy what I would characterize as unparalleled success and favor with the community in the playoff era. And they are deeply invested in Massillon, emotionally and as symbolized by their recent construction of a beautiful new home. And it seems to me that Nate wants to coach his son, Eli, now a 9th grader, through his entire high school football years as a Tiger. And I rather suspect they wish for their daughter, Ella, to similarly experience her entire Massillon Washington years.

Fast forward 5 years, kids in college, and the Tigers have enjoyed the kind of success that the program seems to be on the precipice of achieving. Nate will then be in his mid forties. Again, my opinion is it would take a great offer for him to leave, either that of a significant college's head coach position or a key assistant's role with a path to the top job. An Ohio State would be obvious, but not at the bottom of the ladder. My guess is it would have to be like a Larry Johnson of the o-line or a Kevin Wilson level of influence. A similar Cincinnati opportunity would be a homecoming for the Moore's to their hometown, and a University of Dayton might represent a sentimental homecoming to his alma mater, but only as head coach or again, a clear path to that position. I don't think many of the MAC schools would interest him, unless it was UToledo/Jason Candle type money. I can't imagine he'd go to a D2 or D3 program. He has too much here. My opinion. He and I have never spoken about this. Although I once sent them a message that if they ever did leave, it would be a sad day for Massillon. He and they are that beloved, and are that good at leading a program in all respects.

I think what happened to Tom Arth at Akron is not lost on these big time coaches in Ohio. If Moore wins this year, he is immortal in Massillon (if he isn't already). Some of these MAC schools are a disaster, and it's not guaranteed that you'll get the time to right the ship before they turn on you.

Granted, that job at Akron landed Arth a gig with the Chargers in sunny Los Angeles, but how long will it last?

Sometimes chasing the money isn't all what it seems.

"Some of these MAC schools are a disaster"

I know disasters. I was married to one, dated a few and worked jobs with a few. And because I know disasters, a disaster expert if you will, I can say unequivocally, a few in the MAC need to be in I-AA or whatever they call the division Youngstown State is in these days.

Now, that still means it's a great opportunity for athletes to play college football but for Akron and some of the others in the MAC to continue to lose more money (and games) being D-1 than an almost abandoned Sears store at an obsolete shopping mall just isn't making sense to me.

"I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here being a lifetime Tiger fan, but first a little back story. My Dad was a lifelong Tiger fan, only missing 5 games since 1965, until ALS took his away his ability to go, and ultimately took his life this past January. In that time frame he attended over 615 Varsity games, myself attending over half of them with him. That total doesnt include practices, scrimmages and the underclassmen games he attended as well. When I was a young child before the computer generated points, I spent my Saturday mornings looking up scores in the AP results in the paper while my Dad did the computer points by hand. I spent a lifetime going to all the games with him, all the special memories of decades of away games, to Altoona, Indiana, Cincinnati and all the other great cities the Tigers have played. All of our special Beat McKinley breakfasts we had as a family, always playing the 1974 vinyl record of Bill Caples and the Eddie George pass. My family has lived and breathed Tiger football since 1965. It's part of us, and we have a lifetime of memories to share and remember my Dad and all that he experienced. That's what it means to be a Tiger. I will continue my Dad's lifelong passion and continue to be a fan , forever and always."

This. This right here from MOBIE1.

Last edited:
Massillon could be playing IMG and the usual trolls would still be whining about Massillon recruiting with the same old schtik. Hilarious.

Hoban (and Ed) and Massillon (or any public school including Winton Woods with double our CB) are on completely different planets as far as "acquiring" talent and anyone with a brain knows it. Resident Yappi trolls excluded.

Nearly 350 and 12 pages devoted to this thread and only a combined 15 references to the starting QBs. That's a sad commentary on where these threads invariably lead.

I think Yappi is primarily focused on those first 2 numbers. (you're welcome btw).

Love em or hate em nobody puts more ****es in the seats in Ohio hs football history past present or future and we wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Nearly 350 and 12 pages devoted to this thread and only a combined 15 references to the starting QBs. That's a sad commentary on where these threads invariably lead.
It is a shame. I come on here to read about the upcoming game, and most of the posts are just trash, negative, non game related and non interesting to me. I wish everyone would just post good things about this awesome game that we are all looking forward too and blessed to have the opportunity to go see.

Lol...I love that you research my post history... kind of creepy but OK. You mean the four time state champion (actually won those ON the field) ursuline Irish? Yeah they got beat by a good Canfield team. I still managed to come on here and not disappear which seems to happen to many of your buddies year after year.
Before 1972 where did they play football?

The Massillon guys on this forum are THE MOST arrogant people in the world. First off, they spend insane amounts of time on this forum trying to belittle anyone who dares to disagree with them. Their entire lives revolve around HS football and their beloved Tigers. I can only imagine how hard they take it when the Tigers lose. One or more of these Massillon yappites might commit suicide if they lose. And it’s a shame because the Massillon fan base are among the best when it comes to being humble, gracious and kind. They support their team better than any other school. I know because I have friends and business associates from Massillon. Also my Father always admired Massillon and had a great group of friends from Massillon. I would say don’t get a negative impression of Massillon based on on the Yappi Massillon knuckleheads.
Every school on here are knuckleheads!!!!!

And back to the game.

Friday night's forecast calls for 47 degrees and a 58% chance of rain. Who would a slick field favor?

A serious question, I'm personally disappointed that Lamar Sperling is not going to a bigger school. I thought he was Big Ten material for sure. Is it Buffalo because of a lack of scholarship offers or is it the best opportunity to start right away and possibly move through the transfer portal?

Also, is it possible playing with so much talent around him has diminished his accomplishments in the eyes of the recruiters? I've seen posts saying that the Hoban line creates 3-4 yards for every carry regardless who is running the ball.

A serious question, I'm personally disappointed that Lamar Sperling is not going to a bigger school. I thought he was Big Ten material for sure. Is it Buffalo because of a lack of scholarship offers or is it the best opportunity to start right away and possibly move through the transfer portal?

Also, is it possible playing with so much talent around him has diminished his accomplishments in the eyes of the recruiters? I've seen posts saying that the Hoban line creates 3-4 yards for every carry regardless who is running the ball.
This article concerning his committing to Buffalo provides a little insight as to what his options were.

This article concerning his committing to Buffalo provides a little insight as to what his options were.

Looks like some other bigger schools were taking a look but not yet willing to offer. Maybe getting that opportunity at DI was the most important factor. We have another local QB from Stow (Kyle Vantrease) go there and transferred out for his final year having prolific numbers this season. Either way, I hope he has success at Buffalo and will follow his career there.

And back to the game.

Friday night's forecast calls for 47 degrees and a 58% chance of rain. Who would a slick field favor?
I can’t imagine the fields being as slick (ice) as it was last Friday in Parma and I am sure in Twinsburg for Hoban as well.
I don’t think a slick field favors either team, unless it is pouring rain both teams will stick with the game plans of running the ball and passing here and there to mix it up.

I think the kid is a fantastic player. However, I think part of the problem as far as his recruiting is that he doesn't appear to have the big strength or crazy speed that jumps out at you, nor is he some freak physical specimen. He is supremely talented but it shows in his production as opposed to plays that jump off the film at you. He kind of reminds me of prior Hoban running Todd Sibley, a kid that just produces huge numbers.

As an aside, after transferring from Pitt to Albany, Sibley has had a thousand yard rushing season this year.

Looks like some other bigger schools were taking a look but not yet willing to offer. Maybe getting that opportunity at DI was the most important factor. We have another local QB from Stow (Kyle Vantrease) go there and transferred out for his final year having prolific numbers this season. Either way, I hope he has success at Buffalo and will follow his career there.
I think it is a size problem. A lot of the big schools think a smaller back won’t hold up playing major college football. I also think they miss out on some very good talent because of that thought process. Sperling has ran for Hoban 3 years now and is used extensively, 20 plus carries a game. He has held up very well. I think going to a school like Buffalo is a good move. Probably play sooner. Scouts will see him and RBs in the NFL have a relatively short life span so he could very well find a spot on an NFL roster in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.