D II State Championship: Archbishop Hoban (10-0) vs. Massillon (10-1)

Winner?

• Washington

Votes: 105 42.0%
  • Archbishop Hoban

Votes: 145 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has the feel that the stars are aligning for the team that many people say have never won a "real title". Seriously: what are the odds that the day before the state final, this game is actually moved to PBTS. You couldn't write a story like this. If you're a Hoban fan, that can be scary. Somethings in life are just meant to be. Only time will tell. Should be a great close game!

Last edited:
To Massillon's credit, they are one of the few places that could muster the volunteers to pull this off with such little notice. I'm sure that's a primary reason they ended up there.

Agreed. If you're going to move it on such short notice, you might as well send it to Massillon, where the infrastructure is in place, volunteers and staff have experienced it before, and frankly, I think Massillon is better able to handle it than Benson right now from a logistical standpoint given the timeframe. Other than the small window to prepare, this is a lay-up because you're only accommodating 1500 people.

I'm certain the OHSAA knows this isn't ideal. I credit Hoban for agreeing to it.

Massillon is the Home team.

Home team listed first.

Division VII

Friday, November 20, 1:15 p.m. - New Bremen (9-2) vs. Warren John F. Kennedy (9-2)

Division II

Friday, November 20, 6:15 p.m. - Massillon Washington (10-1) vs. Akron Archbishop Hoban (10-0)

Division V

Saturday, November 21, 1:15 p.m. - Kirtland (10-0) vs. Ironton (11-0)

Division III

Saturday, November 21, 6:15 p.m. - Columbus St. Francis DeSales (9-1) vs. Chardon (11-0)

Division IV

Sunday, November 21, 12:15 - Van Wert (10-1) vs. Mentor Lake Catholic (8-2)

Division VI

Sunday, November 22, 5:15 p.m. - New Middletown Springfield (11-0) vs. Coldwater (11-0)

OHSAA is being slow to update their site.

"The schedule remains the same as announced Wednesday, with games on Friday and Saturday at 1:15 and 6:15 and then Sunday at 12:15 and 5:15. Of note, in the Division II title game, Akron Archbishop Hoban High School has agreed to play Massillon Washington on Massillon’s home field. The OHSAA has now designated Hoban as the home team in the game. "

OHSAA Moving Football Championships to Massillon Washington This Weekend

Kinda short notice, don't know how this ticket thing will work out

Nothing really to figure out, I am sure that any people who were going to go to game in Columbus will just go to Mass now? They can only fit up to the state guidelines no matter where they play

Nothing really to figure out, I am sure that any people who were going to go to game in Columbus will just go to Mass now? They can only fit up to the state guidelines no matter where they play

Will be interesting to see if the volunteer workers "accidentally" leave a back gate open and some massilon fans get in without tickets. Something tells me mass will have more fans on their side.

Good point. Pretty much same people going no matter where. Hoban family & Massillon family.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...-division-ii-football-state-final/6323429002/

Bauer shouts-out two of the half-dozen Akron kids on Massillon roster:

Massillon also features senior wide receiver-defensive back Martavien Johnson and senior defensive end Mike Miller, who both previously played at Hoban and Buchtel.

“We know what they bring to the table,” Bauer said. “They have a lot of talent, a lot of capabilities and are super big competitors. That will make the game very entertaining. We are all good buddies still and we still keep in contact. It will be a fun time playing against those guys again. It will be a little different, but that is just how it worked out.”
That's funny. Bauer's older brother played for Green. Picking a school for athletics goes both ways.

I meant getting tickets on short notice. Was wondering how that would be done by Massillon Ticket office.

I actually got lucky getting a ticket this time. My friend who has a daughter in the band told me band members get 2 tickets. My friend and his girlfriend live really close to the stadium and he says they are staying home and watching it on stream. Crazy!!. So he sold them to me and the wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.