D II State Championship: Archbishop Hoban (10-0) vs. Massillon (10-1)

Winner?

• Washington

Votes: 105 42.0%
  • Archbishop Hoban

Votes: 145 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to detract from the tone of this thread, but how about some actual football talk?

Contrived by the OHSAA or not, this is really the game everyone wanted (other than the Avon and LaSalle fans of course). Both of these teams have dominated the line of scrimmage this season so it will be interesting to see who wins the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. The sophomore RB for Massillon, Hartson, has been huge but the Massillon offense will have to be a little more diverse in this one or Hoban will just hunker down and focus on stopping the run. Massillon doesn't need to throw it 25 times but enough to keep the Hoban D honest. Johnson, Ballard and Lamp are gamebreakers who need to see the ball. Both teams have plenty of big game experience but it's a hell of an asset to have a QB like Hamm playing in his 3rd championship game. This Hoban team is not the disciplined machine of past years and commits penalties that are uncharacteristic of their teams the last 4 years. That's something they'll need to control in a close game like this one.

I think this will be an outstanding game that could go either way. It's a damn shame we can't all head to Canton take this one in. I think it comes down to whose lines play better and timely turnovers. If I had to guess, Hoban pulls it out late in a relatively low scoring game, something like 21-14. Good luck to both teams.
Good analysis.

Avon has a little bit of history with both these programs via playoffs (both) and scrimmages (Massillon), so I'm not going to pick a favorite in this one.

For the sake of both teams and fan bases, though, I hope each team comes in as healthy as possible, no major injuries during the game, refs not a factor, weather not a factor and the teams go at it hard for 48 minutes and the team that plays the best Friday night wins the D2 crown.

Avon has a little bit of history with both these programs via playoffs (both) and scrimmages (Massillon), so I'm not going to pick a favorite in this one.

For the sake of both teams and fan bases, though, I hope each team comes in as healthy as possible, no major injuries during the game, refs not a factor, weather not a factor and the teams go at it hard for 48 minutes and the team that plays the best Friday night wins the D2 crown.
Since you mentioned Avon. I have to give them a hand for the game they played vs. Hoban yesterday. They came to play. They gave Hoban everything they had and had Hoban on the ropes. When it happened I was not in favor of it and I am still not. With about 1:30 left in the half and Avon had a 4th and 10 from about the Hoban 40, they should have punted and went in to halftime happy down 7-0. Instead they went for it, didn't get it, left Hoban plenty of time, and Hoban went down and got 7 with about :13 seconds in the half. That was huge. But either way, It was a great game to watch and I truly give the Avon coach a lot of credit. They went toe to toe with a team with much more overall talent. Also the Avon Qb played extremely well. Not only did he play well at QB, he was a tackling machine from the safety position. That kid is a stud. Avon did expose Hoban some. I expect the Hoban vs. Massillon game to be close and and won late in the game or overtime. Prayers that neither team gets hit with Covid, and that both teams come out of the game injury free.

Since you mentioned Avon. I have to give them a hand for the game they played vs. Hoban yesterday. They came to play. They gave Hoban everything they had and had Hoban on the ropes. When it happened I was not in favor of it and I am still not. With about 1:30 left in the half and Avon had a 4th and 10 from about the Hoban 40, they should have punted and went in to halftime happy down 7-0. Instead they went for it, didn't get it, left Hoban plenty of time, and Hoban went down and got 7 with about :13 seconds in the half. That was huge. But either way, It was a great game to watch and I truly give the Avon coach a lot of credit. They went toe to toe with a team with much more overall talent. Also the Avon Qb played extremely well. Not only did he play well at QB, he was a tackling machine from the safety position. That kid is a stud. Avon did expose Hoban some. I expect the Hoban vs. Massillon game to be close and and won late in the game or overtime. Prayers that neither team gets hit with Covid, and that both teams come out of the game injury free.
I agree about before the half. I was shocked by not punting and it backfired. 14-0 instead of 7-0.

Avon will give it another try next year.

Well said, as always.

Top 10 classiest posters this guy.

30 days they'll be straight back to work.

The entitled Hoban player quoted in the Beacon Journal who was so unexpectedly hurt by having one whole loss in his entire high school career sounded like he could use a hug and a safe space. Boo-friggin’-hoo!
Picked up by plain dealer too.

This post I quoted from you above is post #17, show me a post in this thread PRE post 17 where Massillon "claims victory." The post you quoted was made by a known Massillon hater.
You are a fool. I am not a MASS. hater. I am a MASS. realist. I give an honest account of what I see of this match-up, which is MASS. winning their first state title. How is that HATING? Hating would be saying, "I hope that Hoban wins on a last second, 80 yard, double reverse, flee flicker with three laterals." I state that MASS. will be joining the VIKINGS as D2 state champs.

I’m a Hoban fan and I do not feel good about this game. I went to the game last night, watched several games on TV and was very disappointed in the Knights. The penalties, walking on the field, and they looked like the had zero passion. I actually heard Hoban coaches yelling at kids not to walk in the second half. Even in the lean years I don’t remember that. If Hoban comes out flat, commits 60+ yards in penalties and turns the ball over..... Massillon wins. Massillon will make Hoban pay for mistakes. If Massillon has fast defensive ends the refs better bring extra flags because the first ones will be thread bare due to holding calls.

cmon Knights step it up get focused and execute.

Massillon could lose 3 straight state title games?
3D842ECC-D3B1-489F-B121-24FC10A10485.jpeg

Watched the Hoban Avon game on tape. Has Massillon seen a D line & LBs like Hobans? Avon stuck in remarkably considering that they hardly slowed down the pass rush every down. IF Massillon can block this D, I think they have a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.