D 1 106 Final

Looked like a standing reversal 2, not a takedown, it is what it is. All weekend these refs want supporting points and clear control and they give a td like that, its just crazy. They clearly got caught up in the moment. Congrats to the flying squirrel winner he will be an internet legend for the week.

Here's the thing, if that sequence happens middle of the second period with the score something like 5-1 there's no way the official awards the takedown until Bickerton returns Dodd to the mat. The startling lack of consistency with takedown calls this weekend highlighted a huge issue with the officiating in this state and the most basic of rules. So many exchanges across the tournament that were ruled completely differently depending on the time of the match and the referee assigned to the match. Even at 106, the ending to the D3 final was relatively controversial for similar reasons

Here's the thing, if that sequence happens middle of the second period with the score something like 5-1 there's no way the official awards the takedown until Bickerton returns Dodd to the mat. The startling lack of consistency with takedown calls this weekend highlighted a huge issue with the officiating in this state and the most basic of rules. So many exchanges across the tournament that were ruled completely differently depending on the time of the match and the referee assigned to the match. Even at 106, the ending to the D3 final was relatively controversial for similar reasons
Agreed. Credit to Bickerton for continuing to wrestle, but that's not awarded a TD in the middle of period. Was there control beyond rection time? I don't see it. As the venerable Fred Feeney likes to say "let it burn", meaning hold the call until control is clearly established.

Not only was the control questionable but the fact that hurdling your opponent is not legal so the control piece should have never come into play. Can't jump over your opponent like that in high school. It's illegal. Has been for a few years.

Not only was the control questionable but the fact that hurdling your opponent is not legal so the control piece should have never come into play. Can't jump over your opponent like that in high school. It's illegal. Has been for a few years.
I read that rule, but I don't see the definition of "hurdling".

Could not have said it better. I feel like the level of wrestling was elite this weekend, but the officials are not anywhere close to the level of competition.

Well when there is time left on clock, officials can and tend to give a bit more time to confirm, but ive seen this type of call numerous times for years in last seconds of a period or match, they have to make a call either way . I saw no controversy call in D3 match with the officials, tough calls sure but no blatant error

I thought that hitting the Flying Squirrel was 100% illegal? And my understanding that is the rules as a result of one wrestler hitting it, the opponent pushing him higher and the kid landed head first and broke his neck.

Not sure though, but exciting none the less.

I thought that hitting the Flying Squirrel was 100% illegal? And my understanding that is the rules as a result of one wrestler hitting it, the opponent pushing him higher and the kid landed head first and broke his neck.

Not sure though, but exciting none the less.
If you read the 2017-2018 NFHS rules interpretation situation 6 it nearly perfectly outlines the exact scenario in this match and rules it illegal. Blown call by the officials, nothing new unfortunately

If you read the 2017-2018 NFHS rules interpretation situation 6 it nearly perfectly outlines the exact scenario in this match and rules it illegal. Blown call by the officials, nothing new unfortunately
Not an official and don't know the exact rule, but I would think the spirit of the rule is to prevent injury for both parties. If you only apply the letter of the rule you can argue that it wasn't illegal (cartwheel not a hurdle, etc), but that breaks the spirit of the rule.

Kids jumping, flipping, cartwheeling in wrestling would go right in line with the no leaving your feet to "hurdle" someone in football. This would leave me to believe that it was illegal.

Not an official and don't know the exact rule, but I would think the spirit of the rule is to prevent injury for both parties. If you only apply the letter of the rule you can argue that it wasn't illegal (cartwheel not a hurdle, etc), but that breaks the spirit of the rule.

Kids jumping, flipping, cartwheeling in wrestling would go right in line with the no leaving your feet to "hurdle" someone in football. This would leave me to believe that it was illegal.
If it was a cartwheel sure, but the rule interpretation explicitly mentions the "flying squirrel" in the interpretation which this undoubtedly is. I get that officials miss calls and are human but this is pretty black and white

2017-18 NFHS WRESTLING RULES INTERPRETATIONS
1710182247153.png

If it was a cartwheel sure, but the rule interpretation explicitly mentions the "flying squirrel" in the interpretation which this undoubtedly is. I get that officials miss calls and are human but this is pretty black and white
We are on the same page. I was attempting to add on from another slide I viewed from NFHS as to why it is illegal.