Cross County Conference

Tri-Village Tames Broncos

The Bronco's had the 1st score of the night, but their elation was shortlived as Tri-Village took control of the game from there. They would go on to reel off 42 points and put the game out of reach. All this was done with the services of their backup quarterback – defensive tackle Finkbine. Who not only...

Summary and pics at:

Chris Tilton Sports

Milton’s AJ Lovin sets school record for points in a game. 6 td’s, two 2-pt PAT’s and kicked a 1-point PAT.
Miami East is a good team but couldn’t match Milton’s speed. They will lose to Covington and FL. End up 7-3. MU has a tough schedule coming up which includes Spfld Northwestern, Mid Madison, Waynesville and Valley View.

The big difference again I think will be consistency. I do not ever see MU dropping to 3-7 etc in the new league. I see TC, Riverside, Lehman easily having those type of awful years.
I have to agree. Consistency from MU is key. Pearce is the glue that molds MU Football and with Mark Lane as AD, you’re going to see Milton sports rise to a higher level of competitiveness across the board. Our Basketball team should be VERY strong the next 3-4 years too.

It was not an overly impressive first week for the conference. I had an overall record of 5-5, that is not counting the forfeit that Arcanum had, as well as not hearing how the Bradford game went. That's with wins for Covington, Miss Valley, Ansonia, Tri Village and National Trail. Fort Loramie had a close battle with a very tough Minster. Aside from that it's too early to tell how things will shape up. Miami East, TVS, Bethel and TCN all had pretty bad losses. What's everyone's thoughts?

Bradford got smoked. I believe it was 48-0.
Miami East will be a good team this year. Running game by 33 is going to be hard to stop. Milton came in with a chip on their shoulder due to last years debacle.
I think Ft Loramie wins the league easily with Covington being the only challenger. East a distant 3rd. I think the Vikings finish 7-3 losing to Milton, FL and Covington.
Everyone else will struggle to get to 5-5. Very competitive after East

Either Covington is that good or St Henry is WAY down. Probably both

Were way down, Covington is not that good. I can't place them in term of the CCC, but in terms of a MAC team they would not be good.

SH is a 2 win team.

If were lucky we win 2. Covington is getting minimal points from us at best, and none at worst.

I thought 5 wins for St Henry. Now I say 5 wins would get Brad Luthman MAC Coach of the year. 2 wins probably in St Johns and Parkway but those are definitely NOT a given.

Exactly right the Hawk kid from Parkway sounds like a load, and we could not tackle at all. He may go for 500 against us.

St H used to be an annual powerhouse. Times change. Covington will be good in the CCC. FL will dominate that league.

Bradford got smoked. I believe it was 48-0.
Miami East will be a good team this year. Running game by 33 is going to be hard to stop. Milton came in with a chip on their shoulder due to last years debacle.
I think Ft Loramie wins the league easily with Covington being the only challenger. East a distant 3rd. I think the Vikings finish 7-3 losing to Milton, FL and Covington.
Everyone else will struggle to get to 5-5. Very competitive after East
It's still a little too early to tell, but Ansonia, Arcanum, National Trail and Miss Valley are the teams that I believe have a shot to get to 5-5 or better in the conference. Ansonia should be for sure, and Miss Valley is my wild card pick. They are 1-0 right now and have 3 games on schedule that I believe are wins for sure (Tri Village, TVS, Bradford). Add onto that games with Bethel, Trail and Arcanum. I think Miss Valley could very well end up 5-5 or 6-4 which would be impressive.

I was impressed with Covington and Fort Loramie. Two very nice showings against two MAC schools. Even St. Henry being down, that's an impressive win by Covington, especially by that margin.

St H used to be an annual powerhouse. Times change. Covington will be good in the CCC. FL will dominate that league.
I didn't mean it as a shot at Covington, I just honestly don't see enough CCC football to be able to accurately predict where they would end up. I can only place them relative to the MAC.

Covington's game this week is huge, a home game against Minster. A win by the Buccs would make a statement for sure, not just for them, but for the entire league as well.

I didn't mean it as a shot at Covington, I just honestly don't see enough CCC football to be able to accurately predict where they would end up. I can only place them relative to the MAC.
Totally understand. St Hank is going through the normal rollercoaster that we all go through. Still a highly respected school and town. Would love to get them on the schedule with Milton-Union.

Covington's game this week is huge, a home game against Minster. A win by the Buccs would make a statement for sure, not just for them, but for the entire league as well.
It would be a huge win for Covington and our league. I am hoping they are better than I am thinking. We will find out Friday night.

Here is the league games I have for this week. It should be an interesting week.

Preble Shawnee @ TVS
Minster @ Covington
St. Henry @ Fort Loramie
Miami East @ Sidney Lehman
Dayton Christian @ TCN
National Trail @ Bethel
Dixie @ Tri Village
Miss Valley @ Riverside De Graff
Ansonia @ New Breman
Catholic Central @ Arcanum
Bradford @ Greenon

Last edited:
As a whole, the league will be challenged in Week 2. Covington and Fort Loramie once again take on MAC opponents. I expect a similar outcome as in Week 1, Minster wins and St. Henry loses. Ansonia adds New Breman to the list of MAC opponents this week. I would expect the Cards to take that game. The potential is there for the league to do well. I favor ME, NT, Fort Loramie, and maybe Arcanum this week. MV can probably at least make it competitive against Riverside. TVS, Covington, TCN, Bethel, and Bradford are all underdogs. Tri-Village vs. Dixie is the one game I'm not sure what to expect. I would probably favor Dixie.

I don't see how you can favor Dixie, both teams bring back the majority of their players off of last years teams and TV won at dixie last year, this year it's at TV.

Picks for the week

Preble Shawnee @ TVS
Minster @ Covington
St. Henry @ Fort Loramie
Miami East
@ Sidney Lehman
Dayton Christian @ TCN
National Trail @ Bethel
Tri Village @ Dixie
Miss Valley @ Riverside De Graff
Ansonia @ New Breman
Catholic Central @ Arcanum
Bradford @ Greenon

From what I heard last week FL was very sloppy. They turned it over 4 time andhad multiple penalties. My buddy told me that they wasted their 3 timeouts early in the 4th quarter because they couldn't substitute right and had to burn timeouts to avoid more penalties. Also heard they were cramping all over the field, just about after every play in the 4th quarter. Score might of been close, but sounds like FL just wasn't ready to go...surprising for a team that made the final four

You can't beat good teams like Minster with those kind of things. From what I have heard and read that St. Henry is awful so they should have a good chance to rebound this week before Miami East and Covington

I like how St Henry when they beat Covington they are very good but when Covington beats them that means St Henry isn't very good. I'll be the first to tell you that Covington is legit this year. They average around 270 on the OL and their tackles are both over 300. Their skills players are fast and will flat out hit you. I believe we will give Minster a run for their money and beat FL to win the CCC outright. St Henry plays FL this Friday. This week will tell us a lot about each of these 4 teams. The only thing holding Covington back is coaching. Coaching is difficult and if you want to beat a really good team you need to adjust by series not by half. If you wait till half time to adjust to Minster you will lose.

those are old enrollment figures....Versailles is the div 5 team with over 165 and I think Coldwater and Anna are in the mid 140's
Coldwater has 147 pts with 7 CB numbers which gives them 154. Anna has 146 with 9 CB which gives them 155 and Versailles has 167 with 0 CB points. The CB points are for kids that go to those schools but do not live in the district because they have open enrollment. So even with the extra points added Coldwater and Anna are in Division 6 with Versailles in Division 5.

I don't see how you can favor Dixie, both teams bring back the majority of their players off of last years teams and TV won at dixie last year, this year it's at TV.
This game is up in the air for me. I think Dixie is better this year than last year. Tri Village could be too. I do know that if the Sarver kid is playing QB again this year, that Tri Village will have the best player on the field by far.

I like how St Henry when they beat Covington they are very good but when Covington beats them that means St Henry isn't very good.
If you can't objectively look at SH last year and see that they were very good. Or look at them objectively this year and tell they are terrible, thats on you. Like I have said I don't watch enough CCC to place Covington in the conference ranking, but they didn't show me anything that would suggest that they would be in the mid to low tier of the MAC. But knowing a bit about Covington I suspect they will go 8-2 in the CCC, but to suggest that they would win anything more than possibly 4 games in the MAC would be ludicrous.

If you can't objectively look at SH last year and see that they were very good. Or look at them objectively this year and tell they are terrible, thats on you. Like I have said I don't watch enough CCC to place Covington in the conference ranking, but they didn't show me anything that would suggest that they would be in the mid to low tier of the MAC. But knowing a bit about Covington I suspect they will go 8-2 in the CCC, but to suggest that they would win anything more than possibly 4 games in the MAC would be ludicrous.
I think this is a fair statement, especially going off the past. I know it was nice for Covington to get a big win in week 1. Regardless of how good Covington is, and how bad St. Henry is, Covington has another shot to go out there this week and earn some respect against a MAC school. Minster is going to be a different animal, but they've got an opportunity to prove what they have.

This game is up in the air for me. I think Dixie is better this year than last year. Tri Village could be too. I do know that if the Sarver kid is playing QB again this year, that Tri Village will have the best player on the field by far.

This. TV won last year by a TD. Both do bring back a good deal of kids from last year. So I wouldn't be shocked to see TV win. I just think Dixie is slightly more improved early in the season.

I think this is a fair statement, especially going off the past. I know it was nice for Covington to get a big win in week 1. Regardless of how good Covington is, and how bad St. Henry is, Covington has another shot to go out there this week and earn some respect against a MAC school. Minster is going to be a different animal, but they've got an opportunity to prove what they have.
And if Covington does go out and get the job done I'll eat the crow, but I just don't see it happening. I'll stick by my 28 point Cats win prediction. People see our final score against Covington and thought it was an indication on the Buccs, and some of that is fair, but I think it is more indicative of how bad we are this year.