Coverage of High School Sports

Do you have the 2003 Crestview vs DSJ district game at Elida where the Knights won on a last second shot? I believe it was on Channel 25.
I'll have to look. I was actually in the hospital recovering from a ruptured appendix that week. I wasn't home to record it on the VCR and I don't know if I had someone else do it. I had to listen to the game on the radio and when the nurse came into to take my vitals she commented that my blood pressure was a little high. I told her why and she said she'd come back and take my BP later.

I think there is an opportunity for the media and other outlets to find a way to work with platforms such as Hud'l. I know Hud'l already has some forms of Social Media presence, but it's mainly national from what I've seen.

Hud'l and these newer types of platforms for video and data collection could be a great resource to get more coverage to schools. It's already a great platform for athletes to get their "highlights' out there and for coaches using it for film study.

It's definitely a "raw" resource currently if used for the purpose of media coverage. But I think there are certainly opportunities for collaboration to get an additional product that could be used for this purpose.

Having some kind of restricted access that is specifically catered for media usage would be a tremendous resource. There won't need to be as much live coverage and you could still get useful data that can easily be shared.

Now...I feel there are a lot of hoops and technology that needs to be crafted to get a good overall product. But this is the type of idea I think could work progress coverage in the future.

Well put.

I remember one of the issues with the Enquirer was somewhere around 10-12years or so ago, The Enquirer changed where it was printed. Instead of being printed in Cincy, it is now printed in Columbus. I remember when this happened as one of my jobs was calling in our score, stats, storyline to the Enquirer for home games. And when that switch happened, the deadline changed to 10pm instead of Midnight. Well, our games were not over by 10pm. So, you would call in, report as you did before and it wouldn't be in the Saturday newspaper as it was previously (only a couple games where a beat reporter went to was), and then on Sundays, there'd be little to nothing because it was the Sunday paper and it would get buried and you'd be lucky to get a box score.

The Enquirer created their own demise with their abysmal business decisions and awful writing. It's really hard to read any story without glaring grammatical, spelling, or factual errors, and it was that way well before they let go most of their staff and moved printing operations to Columbus.

Fox 19 does a great job and they are fun to watch. I wish they'd do a 45 minute or even hour long Friday night show because of how entertaining they are; but I understand the crazy time constraints of cutting, editing, writing scripts for the dozen plus games they have highlights for.
Fox8 Cleveland does a 30-minute show right after the 10PM news.

I'll have to look. I was actually in the hospital recovering from a ruptured appendix that week. I wasn't home to record it on the VCR and I don't know if I had someone else do it. I had to listen to the game on the radio and when the nurse came into to take my vitals she commented that my blood pressure was a little high. I told her why and she said she'd come back and take my BP later.

1712761507735.png

Yappi & Sykotyk you are correct about the coverage of a big high school game with 5 star players as opposed a good basketball contest with solid teams. As a transplanted Ohioan whose son makes a living covering high school bball,he always says it does no good going to that game with 30 other hoop scouts/reporters. He can provide much needed exposure for lesser recognized boys & girls to college coaches and it is appreciated on both ends.

Has coverage for HS sports gone down? Maybe. Has participation in HS sports gone down. Yes. Has game attendance been declining? Yes. Are we living in times where peoples feelings get hurt way to fast? Yes. Are people too coddled. Yes. Are people "SOFT"- YES! I am not a believer in coddle, be careful who's feeling you hurt with an opinion. Tip toe around crap. That is all a joke to me. The coach that mentioned about calling a defense weak, obviously it hit a nerve. If people are calling out your defense as weak, then start stopping teams. Pretty simple concept to me. The Yappi forum is an awesome way for many of us that love HS football to banter, discuss, argue, etc.. over things we normally wouldn't have an opportunity to message about. It's fantastic HS football entertainment for us. As long as no one is calling out a PLAYER negatively, then I feel like it's ok to voice opinions. And thanks to Yappi we can. (Just 1 man's opinion).

Last edited:
Would like to see an OHSAA TV app like Indiana's IHSAA TV app. Just a collection of affiliates with their live & recent broadcasts for replay. Usually semi state (Final 4 known as State in Ohio) & state championships are controlled by them & have to pay to watch.

Reactions: bb9
George Kellas of Wheeling and later Steubenville deserves a mention here.On the airwaves of WWVA 1170 and local tv stations he always did his best to tell us how lucky we were to be in the Ohio Valley and how good we had it in football and life in general.

Lima media in general does a great job covering regional sports. Newspapers are hemorrhaging staff and it certainly shows. The amount of AI sports articles seems to be on the increase and is an abomination.

I talked to a prolific reporter a couple months ago about coverage of HS sports. The thing that struck me was that he was going to cover a local girls basketball game because he would likely be the only reporter there. On the flip side, he had an opportunity to cover a very popular boys basketball game on the same night and decided not to go to it because there would be 30 other reporters* covering the game.

The treatment he would receive from the two different venues was completely different. At the girls game, they were excited to have him and treated him very well. At the boys game, he would be jammed into a small space and asking for any favors would usually cause him problems.

Now to my own personal story, I typically do previews for football, boys and girls basketball, baseball, and softball. It takes alot of time and energy and there is no monetary benefit. I enjoy doing them and reading the information that the coaches provide. Recently, I was working on the softball previews and I received messages back from several of the coaches thanking me for doing the previews and bringing awareness to the game. That is the type of feedback that makes me want to cover schools/sports more whether they are state champions or they don't win a game.

For the other sports, I occasionally get a thank you but it is fairly rare. While football is the most popular sport on here, it is also the most difficult. I have received two complaints from coaches that they refused to participate. Both were from schools that have a small following on here but not in the top 50. The one complaint was something that was said in one of the posts about an assistant coach. The post was removed quickly but the fact that it was said at all was too much for this school. The other complaint was nothing specific but didn't like that people could post negative things (ex. pass defense is weak) while "hiding" behind a screen name. He would not participate in the football previews until the site stopped allowing anonymous posting. I know that the internet has changed drastically and some younger people do not value anonymity, but there are still plenty that rely on it. It allows for more free flow of information. The Bishop Sycamore story is a good example.

I thought this could be an interesting topic to discuss in the offseason. Where do you think coverage of HS is going? Is it a good direction? Bad direction? More of the same? Or just different?
Columbus Grove has live streamed Football, Boys Basketball, and Girls Basketball with play by play and color commentator using Hudl cameras. Other activities can be shown with no on air personalities. In the HS gym they were even able to get more angles by tying their security cameras into it. Money raised helps support Athletic Department (future commercials) and the Athletic Boosters(streaming fees). The on air personalities come from Zsportslive. They have the radio feed going simultaneously. It's done really for the 1st year, and should only get better. Beauty of it is if you don't see it live, with your subscription you can go back and watch when you want to.

I don’t think the coverage has changed as much as the medium used to produce content and the platforms where it is hosted. You are better off familiarizing yourself with league websites if you’re in search of stats and box scores. Youtube, Tik Tok, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram all have video content that far surpasses what we had decades ago. It’s out there, you just won’t find it in a newspaper or most Friday night recap shows. I will say Columbus and Dayton Friday Night coverage is still solid. There are many older 10 TV and Operation Football videos on Youtube if you want to compare. Storied Rivals does a great job producing NFL Films style content and their videos are free on Youtube. There are plenty of teenagers and twenty-somethings putting out content within minutes of games finishing on those platforms. Unless veteran writers become well versed in those mediums and modernize they’ll be surpassed by a fifteen year old with a high speed camera their parents bought and an Instagram and/or Twitter account.
Print media is a thing of the past for most under the age of forty. Go to your local retailer and you’ll be hard pressed to find anything more than tribute magazines.
I’ll add Lima area print and broadcast media is probably the closest to what was seen in larger metro areas decades ago.

That is VERY true. Post COVID, there are a lot more videographers/photographers than there is print media. And a LOT of the print media is behind subscription paywalls. Video highlights are a huge help, especially for teams that don't get a lot of coverage in the area. Some of my favorite channels are Storied Rivals, 3rd Coast Hoops, and Next Gen. They were all huge inspirations in one way or another for me to produce video.

I don’t think the coverage has changed as much as the medium used to produce content and the platforms where it is hosted. You are better off familiarizing yourself with league websites if you’re in search of stats and box scores. Youtube, Tik Tok, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram all have video content that far surpasses what we had decades ago. It’s out there, you just won’t find it in a newspaper or most Friday night recap shows. I will say Columbus and Dayton Friday Night coverage is still solid. There are many older 10 TV and Operation Football videos on Youtube if you want to compare. Storied Rivals does a great job producing NFL Films style content and their videos are free on Youtube. There are plenty of teenagers and twenty-somethings putting out content within minutes of games finishing on those platforms. Unless veteran writers become well versed in those mediums and modernize they’ll be surpassed by a fifteen year old with a high speed camera their parents bought and an Instagram and/or Twitter account.
Print media is a thing of the past for most under the age of forty. Go to your local retailer and you’ll be hard pressed to find anything more than tribute magazines.
I’ll add Lima area print and broadcast media is probably the closest to what was seen in larger metro areas decades ago.
Very true and awesome points. I was thinking as this topic/thread as traditional media, but you are correct that non-traditional media is blowing up.

I think the issue is mostly about passive content for HS sports. In the past, people grabbed the sports section from the Saturday morning newspaper or watched the Friday night local news and were exposed to HS football whether they were interested or not. Your local team played and you knew the result because the score was reported during the news or you saw it in the paper. Enough people in a community knew the score that it could be a conversation starter with others in town.

Now, unless you are actively looking for this content, it is buried. There are amazing videos and pictures being taken at games that are seen by a dwindling group of diehard fans.

Getting HS football news into more people's homes is the real issue. The casual HS football fan has been the biggest casualty of the dwindling reach of news coverage.

It seems like the most populated areas of the state have the least amount of media coverage. Rural areas all seem to have local papers and stations that give good coverage of their schools. Yappi seems to be much more balanced.
Very true. The Columbus Dispatch does an occasional article about the best players/teams. No scores for BB or the lesser sports. Last year they published (on the website) football results from scorestream. They pulled the plug on all the weekly suburban newspapers a couple of years ago. We are talking suburbs that have 30-45K pop without any news resource except social media!

I was told by the Dispatch that High School Sports had the fewest readers (clicks) on their website so they moved on.

Very true. The Columbus Dispatch does an occasional article about the best players/teams. No scores for BB or the lesser sports. Last year they published (on the website) football results from scorestream. They pulled the plug on all the weekly suburban newspapers a couple of years ago. We are talking suburbs that have 30-45K pop without any news resource except social media!
It's the same here in the Queen City. Half of the coverage that high school sports get--when they actually do--involve recruiting and commitments, not about games. I miss the days of the suburban papers, too, but their sports coverage was so poorly organized. At some point about 25-30 years ago, Gannett (who owns the Enquirer) bought the Community Press papers and would frequently send both an Enquirer reporter and a Community Press reporter to cover the same game. Then Enquirer coverage took over in the Community Press papers' sports pages. Now the Community Press papers are long gone. 15 years ago, the Enquirer had 3 full time reporters to cover high school sports (one of whom focused on Northern Kentucky). Now it might be 1 person.

I was told by the Dispatch that High School Sports had the fewest readers (clicks) on their website so they moved on.
I'd be skeptical of that. A friend used to work for the Enquirer out of college and at the time (mid 00s), high school sports articles were #3 on Cincinnati.com behind the Bengals and Reds.

Re: major metros and bigger cities - generally speaking - regular season high school game stories do poorly. Game previews and agate do even worse. Feature stories and stuff like "top 10 players in the area this season" do better. Even season preview sections, which used to be a staple for every newspaper, doesn't attract enough advertising to pay the bills.
Except, in my experience, NW Ohio. From a distance, it seems like every small town has a newspaper and a radio station that still do it like in the pre-internet days. Presumably, they have the readership and advertising numbers to support it.

I think the issue is mostly about passive content for HS sports. In the past, people grabbed the sports section from the Saturday morning newspaper or watched the Friday night local news and were exposed to HS football whether they were interested or not. Your local team played and you knew the result because the score was reported during the news or you saw it in the paper. Enough people in a community knew the score that it could be a conversation starter with others in town.

Now, unless you are actively looking for this content, it is buried. There are amazing videos and pictures being taken at games that are seen by a dwindling group of diehard fans.

Getting HS football news into more people's homes is the real issue. The casual HS football fan has been the biggest casualty of the dwindling reach of news coverage.
High school sports are incredibly dispersed. It's the same issue college sports face extrapolated from a hundred or so major schools to over 15,000 teams. It's impossible to cover them all and most people generally want to know their teams game, maybe a rival or upcoming opponent of their team and maybe some big name regional team and that's it. One outlet just can't cover that many points of interest.

Yet cumulatively there's millions that attend high school football games.

The NFL has 32 teams playing an average of 8.5 home games over an 18 week season. That's 1,050,617 per week average. And we know the NFL uses distributed and not used for most of their teams.

NCAA FBS averaged 44,603 per game among all games last year. The last association wide info I can find is 2019. All 4 levels totaled 45.88 million fans attending. Not counting bowl games and neutral championship games. For 669 teams playing 3,733 total games. An average of 11,430 per game. 334 games per week at the most is 3.82 million on a weekend.

Their is naia and njcaa as well but their numbers are minimal. Maybe a few hundred thousand a week maximum.

High school football has almost 16,000 football playing teams. If on the best weekend there's just 7500 games, high school football would need to average just 509 fans per game to match the NCAA total per week.

The problem is they're 7500 games and it's impossible to cover enough in one go to get the eyeballs college does. And why the NFL despite nearly a 1/3 of the attendees as college each week, can dominate viewership is because it's funneled down to heat a handful of viewing windows on TV that commands even high ad revenue.

I told someone earlier today that I contacted an AD about the coaches getting the info out. In a few more years when most of the folks on this website are gone there won't be anyone wanting to know the stuff we are talking about!

I told someone earlier today that I contacted an AD about the coaches getting the info out. In a few more years when most of the folks on this website are gone there won't be anyone wanting to know the stuff we are talking about!
In my area, we've been on the hook for nearly 10 years to submit box scores, game stories, etc. to the local newspaper. Unfortunately, some of the coaches at my school, especially younger ones who probably don't read the paper themselves, wouldn't do their part and submit their teams' results on a regular basis.

The biggest factor in this issue comes the the reality that most newspapers, radio stations and television stations are not locally owned anymore.

For instance look at newspapers like the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Toledo Blade, Columbus Dispatch , etc are all owned by our of state publishers. Even local weekly or 3 time a week papers have consolidated with each other to expand their revenue base from advertising.

Local radio stations that used to be family businesses are now owned by iHeart, cumulus or clear channel. All based in other states. Instead of hiring local on-air broadcasters or disc jockey the news and music selection is punched up for each individual market on a computer 4 states and 600 miles away.

Television stations are now owned by Gray or Sinclair or News Star. Even though there is local news and some local sports there is more push to cover state or regional topics.

With the elimination of local "Mom and Pop" business by Wal-Mart, Kroger, Meijer, Lowe's and Home Depot; there is less and less local advertising dollars to support local news reporting. This consolidation of businesses has also consolidated our media outlets.

Now there has been an increase in local internet reporting for high school sports by bloggers, YouTube influencers, and Internet podcasts, which is great but people have to go look for them.

Local schools and the same podcasters are broadcasting more games on the internet which is good and can be accessible worldwide but sometimes are behind a paywall.

Times have changed but the coverage of local high school sports may be as wide and deep as ever before if you know where to look for it.

My town's newspaper gives coverage a total of 5 schools, including the one in which the town is located. Because it's a small town paper, there's only one full-time sports writer and the paper's editor also doubles as a second sports writer. Those two also help cover school board meetings and area town council meetings. You get the idea.

Until COVID hit, the paper published 6 days per week - afternoons M-F and Saturday AM. Now, just four short years later, it publishes just three days per week - Tue and Thur afternoons and Saturday AM.

OH Report covers our home basketball games and an occasional football game. There's also a radio station that covers us and two other schools for football and basketball.

While I do agree with the above comment that HS sports are covered in more different ways than ever before, the negative consequence to that is that to a certain degree, it has led to lower in-person attendance.

My town's newspaper gives coverage a total of 5 schools, including the one in which the town is located. Because it's a small town paper, there's only one full-time sports writer and the paper's editor also doubles as a second sports writer. Those two also help cover school board meetings and area town council meetings. You get the idea.

Until COVID hit, the paper published 6 days per week - afternoons M-F and Saturday AM. Now, just four short years later, it publishes just three days per week - Tue and Thur afternoons and Saturday AM.

OH Report covers our home basketball games and an occasional football game. There's also a radio station that covers us and two other schools for football and basketball.

While I do agree with the above comment that HS sports are covered in more different ways than ever before, the negative consequence to that is that to a certain degree, it has led to lower in-person attendance.
I do agree with the idea that love in person attendence has dropped but it's no only tied to games being streamed on the Internet.

A big problem is tied to participation. Especially with football, a lot of schools that used to field teams of 50-60 players now field teams of 35 players. In many instances some people only attend if they have a family member in uniform, do if there are 15-25 fewer players in uniform you may be looking at 30-50 fewer attendees, or maybe an even bigger drop.

Secondly, there is a big problem in sports at a lot of levels with people under the age of 40, where there is less and less interest in competitive athletics. Look at the large universities in the power 5 football conferences that can't fill their stadiums like they did 40 or 50 years ago. The younger generations just don't care as much about sports in general as those over the age of 40. There are too many other things to draw attention away in 2024.

This is not just a football issue either. Look at all the schools that no longer have a freshman boys basketball team or a JV baseball team. Or schools that no longer have a JV girls basketball or softball team.

Last edited:
The biggest factor in this issue comes the the reality that most newspapers, radio stations and television stations are not locally owned anymore.

For instance look at newspapers like the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Toledo Blade, Columbus Dispatch , etc are all owned by our of state publishers. Even local weekly or 3 time a week papers have consolidated with each other to expand their revenue base from advertising.

Local radio stations that used to be family businesses are now owned by iHeart, cumulus or clear channel. All based in other states. Instead of hiring local on-air broadcasters or disc jockey the news and music selection is punched up for each individual market on a computer 4 states and 600 miles away.

Television stations are now owned by Gray or Sinclair or News Star. Even though there is local news and some local sports there is more push to cover state or regional topics.

With the elimination of local "Mom and Pop" business by Wal-Mart, Kroger, Meijer, Lowe's and Home Depot; there is less and less local advertising dollars to support local news reporting. This consolidation of businesses has also consolidated our media outlets.

Now there has been an increase in local internet reporting for high school sports by bloggers, YouTube influencers, and Internet podcasts, which is great but people have to go look for them.

Local schools and the same podcasters are broadcasting more games on the internet which is good and can be accessible worldwide but sometimes are behind a paywall.

Times have changed but the coverage of local high school sports may be as wide and deep as ever before if you know where to look for it.
BINGO!!! I have worked in the media for 17 years now and have experienced changes in ownership, management, and the ever-increasing strain on circulation and profits in the newspaper industry. Management in offices in Atlanta Georgia (or wherever the corporate office is located) are not vested in high school sports in Ohio. So, they cut costs by decreasing staff and consolidating printing presses.

You can't ignore the change in the financial situation of newspapers, radio and TV stations that resulted from the superior ad targeting provided by companies like Google and Facebook. Why pay for a full page ad in a newspaper or 30 second spot when you can reach your exact audience digitally?

You also can't overlook how a single website--Craigslist--destroyed newspaper classified sections and eliminated all of that revenue.

Coverage of high school sports in the Toledo area is very strong. Thanks in large part to BCSN, a locally produced sports channel with a full focus on the 419 community 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They live broadcast every football playoff game with an area team in it. Great quality and professionalism in the reporting. We are fortunate to have such a company in the area.
The Toledo Blade also does a nice job at covering local sports.

@buccaneers2002 How do they live broadcast every game with a local team on tv if many are played simultaneously (and I presume they don't have that many sub channels if any)?

@buccaneers2002 How do they live broadcast every game with a local team on tv if many are played simultaneously (and I presume they don't have that many sub channels if any)?
They have 3 cable package channels, which they'll broadcast the game of the week live on the BCSN2 channel, and then the rest of the area games are live streamed on their convenient app. They host a "college game day" like show throughout the night as well on the main channel discussing all the games going on.