Cotton Bowl: #9 Mizzou (10-2) vs. #7 Ohio State (11-1)

Omega

Consolation prize for the Buckeyes. Reward for an unexpectedly great season for the Tigers.

Bucks opened as 6.5 point favorites, but State is looking at potentially 25% of their scholarship players unavailable due being in the transfer portal or opting out for the NFL.

Most notable missing is QB Kyle McCord who is in the transfer portal. That leaves Ryan Day three weeks to choose between Devin Brown and Lincoln Kienholz as starter.

Long story short Missouri has the momentum and motivation while State appears to be staggering into the game.
I would expect the betting line to shift to favor Mizzou as game time approaches. My expectation for the Bucks is simply to use the game to develop their young talent for 2024.

Consolation prize for the Buckeyes. Reward for an unexpectedly great season for the Tigers.

Bucks opened as 6.5 point favorites, but State is looking at potentially 25% of their scholarship players unavailable due being in the transfer portal or opting out for the NFL.

Most notable missing is QB Kyle McCord who is in the transfer portal. That leaves Ryan Day three weeks to choose between Devin Brown and Lincoln Kienholz as starter.

Long story short Missouri has the momentum and motivation while State appears to be staggering into the game.
I would expect the betting line to shift to favor Mizzou as game time approaches. My expectation for the Bucks is simply to use the game to develop their young talent for 2024.
My buddy bets a lot, every week, and he said we were only -2.5.

I expect Brown and Kienholz to split reps to some degree in this game before the portal guy arrives.

Won't even be that mad if Mizz wins since their coach mic dropped on ESPN yesterday

Last edited:
I expect Brown and Kienholz to split reps to some degree in this game before the portal gut arrives.

Won't even be that mad if Mizz wins since their coach mic dropped on ESPN yesterday

You have to love a coach who channels his inner Mike Leach:

Mizzou has a ton of players in the portal too. I don’t know if they’re contributing but there are a lot
Don’t know much about Mizzou other than they have a top 5 WR in Luther Burden and Brady Cook can sling it and pick up yards when he needs to with his legs. That’s to say I don’t know much. They do have 4 players rated as 4* transfers in the portal currently. I’m not sure if those are freshmen living off their recruiting accolades or productive players looking elsewhere, but it’s gotta hurt the talent level and I don’t think they are nearly as deep as the Bucks.

And not his first michigan comment. He earned points. I imagine the sentiment is similar elsewhere
Here in SEC/ACC country the Michigan cheating accusations were pretty much a non issue until FSU and UGA missed the final four. Now their fans feel Michigan should have been banned from the playoffs.

You have to love a coach who channels his inner Mike Leach:

I’m not really sure I understand the context there. Is he suggesting he hired Stalions? I don’t think making light of Michigan cheating makes a lot of sense.

I’m not really sure I understand the context there. Is he suggesting he hired Stalions? I don’t think making light of Michigan cheating makes a lot of sense.
Making fun of the #1 ranked team and questioning their legitimacy for the last couple of years is pure gold.(y)

Mizzou has a ton of players in the portal too. I don’t know if they’re contributing but there are a lot
.......and this is why Bowl Season has been rendered pointless. Why should I as a fan invest $1500 +/- on a bowl trip for my school when none of the top guys on either team will bother to play? If it ain't the CFP, it's a glorified scrimmage involving dudes you didn't even know were on the roster.

.......and this is why Bowl Season has been rendered pointless. Why should I as a fan invest $1500 +/- on a bowl trip for my school when none of the top guys on either team will bother to play? If it ain't the CFP, it's a glorified scrimmage involving dudes you didn't even know were on the roster.
The Rose bowl game was pretty good. It’s kind of like the first game of the next season. Bowl games never meant any more in the past than they do now.

What? 15 years ago bowl games were must see. Now, excluding the playoffs, they are just glorified scrimmages
Must see and being meaningful are not the same thing. And with the CFP they didn’t become less important, the play off bowls just became more important.

Why besides $$$ are there still Bowl Games outside of CFP? Most of the Teams won’t even have the same Players. Some won’t have same Players or Coaches!

Don’t know much about Mizzou other than they have a top 5 WR in Luther Burden and Brady Cook can sling it and pick up yards when he needs to with his legs. That’s to say I don’t know much. They do have 4 players rated as 4* transfers in the portal currently. I’m not sure if those are freshmen living off their recruiting accolades or productive players looking elsewhere, but it’s gotta hurt the talent level and I don’t think they are nearly as deep as the Bucks.
Got a tough walk on RB who they like to use as a battering ram.

Not really. Sure, everyone was enamored with Boise State back then, but I remember as far back as 2008 Alabama just sleepwalking in the Sugar Bowl vs Utah because their season had ended when they lost to Florida in the SEC title game a month prior to that.
They definitely meant more, but I’d agree it was not must see.

Good excuse BUT, nobody felt bad for UGA, when TEN NFL draft picks opted OUT against Texas, about four years ago in the Cotton Bowl, after being shafted at the last second, before the Gumps went on to butcher the Fightin Leprechauns. If McCord is all you're missing, NO EXCUSES!

Here in SEC/ACC country the Michigan cheating accusations were pretty much a non issue until FSU and UGA missed the final four. Now their fans feel Michigan should have been banned from the playoffs.
NOT I, says the SEC /ACC guy who LOVES me some Wolverine meat. My lil high school has offensive starters at both schools. Plus two MORE from Valdosta, on the FSU starting unit offensively. I just wish that three clowns on the selection committee, hadn't forced the committee to forego the twelve team playoff in 2023.

Speaking of the ramifications of not having the same players. Does anybody remember who the first player was, who started this deal about not playing their senior season. Opting to go pro?
I remember Christian McCaffrey sitting out. I think he was one of the first.