Cory Rawson Forfeits Playoff Game

jafo

Per WOSN Twitter Cory Rawson and Pandora Gilboa playoff game has been cancelled. C-R says low numbers and injuries are the reason. NOT Covid related. P-G moves on to the next round.

I think this is a bad look. They had TWO chances to back out and didn't.

Last edited:
Vanlue coach all but admitted in the Findlay paper today that this season very well could be their last season of football. Didn't discuss 8 man option. The school is down to 155 k-12 (under 12 in each grade). It states they lose 100 kids to open enrollment. When 40% of kids leave a school system the school system clearly has issues.

Vanlue coach all but admitted in the Findlay paper today that this season very well could be their last season of football. Didn't discuss 8 man option. The school is down to 155 k-12 (under 12 in each grade). It states they lose 100 kids to open enrollment. When 40% of kids leave a school system the school system clearly has issues.
Have a link to the article? And plenty of people have said this forever but how much longer can they hang on staying open?

Have a link to the article? And plenty of people have said this forever but how much longer can they hang on staying open?
Does anyone remember what the state said about how many students a school had to have in order to exist back in the late '50s? The school I graduated from consolidated in 1960. I've got the information in an old yearbook, just have to find it.

They've had multiple chances to do something with the Arcadia district but it's always been voted down. I get people being proud, but it seems like there could be a better way to do this. I'd assume the open enrollment loss is to Arcadia and Carey?

Cory-Rawson staying in the playoffs in their situation was not smart. That's just a lack of leadership. I don't get it - these small schools need 8-man. It seems to me Danbury had a lot more fun this year than they have in the past. Holgate is the same. The more schools that show interest, the quicker you'll get OHSAA to make a move.

They've had multiple chances to do something with the Arcadia district but it's always been voted down. I get people being proud, but it seems like there could be a better way to do this. I'd assume the open enrollment loss is to Arcadia and Carey?

Cory-Rawson staying in the playoffs in their situation was not smart. That's just a lack of leadership. I don't get it - these small schools need 8-man. It seems to me Danbury had a lot more fun this year than they have in the past. Holgate is the same. The more schools that show interest, the quicker you'll get OHSAA to make a move.
I think after this season and going into next year the floodgates will open in terms of people going 8-man. It just makes logical sense.

Keep 6 divisions in 11 man and add 1 for 8 man if you ask me
How about merge D-I with D-II, merge D-III with D-IV, merge D-V with D-VI, and convert D-VII to 8 man. Go back to the good ole A, AA, AAA format.
Seriously though I think 5 divisions is enough plus, one division of 8 man with what would have formerly been mostly D-VII and some D-VI schools.

Alternatively, the state could force the consolidation of public schools that do not have a minimum enrollment per grade.

Does anyone remember what the state said about how many students a school had to have in order to exist back in the late '50s? The school I graduated from consolidated in 1960. I've got the information in an old yearbook, just have to find it.
Not sure what it was back then but apparently currently the state has the authority to force a merger of any public school with less than 325 pupils in a K-12 district. Generally the state will only force a merger if the district is in fiscal emergency, severely under performing etc.

Not sure what it was back then but apparently currently the state has the authority to force a merger of any public school with less than 325 pupils in a K-12 district. Generally the state will only force a merger if the district is in fiscal emergency, severely under performing etc.
Back then I think it may have been 200 or close to it.

Gentlemen,

Is it actually a forfeit? I can remember reading that, at least according to OHSAA, a game that was never started cannot be a forfeit. Is Cory-Rawson going to be credited with a playoff appearance and given a loss? Is P-G going to be credited with a playoff win? I rather doubt it.

Odd it is not on their website. Since paper sold it has gone down hill. But here is the quote from paper I got.

"Our enrollment numbers are down to 155 total kids K-12. The days of Vanlue football could be numbered unfortunately." Kloepfer said. "Each year we seem to get a team out there. But with our numbers being down, it just feels like our days are numbered."

Note: at the most they will only have 8 players returning from this years team.

Gentlemen,

Is it actually a forfeit? I can remember reading that, at least according to OHSAA, a game that was never started cannot be a forfeit. Is Cory-Rawson going to be credited with a playoff appearance and given a loss? Is P-G going to be credited with a playoff win? I rather doubt it.
The original WOSN tweet used the word "forfeited". Both P-G and C-R have said the game has been cancelled. I do not think it is being considered a playoff appearance for either school.

In other news, C-R AD tweeted this morning that they intend on playing the remainder of their schedule. That schedule would be Ridgemont, at Arlington and Bluffton. Good luck with that, Hornets.

Good luck. I'd be interested to see what it says

Dont they call their rivalry the consolidation confrontation? Honestly there's got to be some sort of tax break or something to sweeten the deal to build one K-12 complex in between Arcadia and Vanlue.

Bad look on Cory's part. At the junior high level they were already playing 8-man. Why not jump at the chance to join the Northern 8 while they still can. Danbury did amazing. I don't think there's any turning back for them. And best of all.. STRYKER got their first varsity win! I really hope 8-man starts to catch on.

Alternatively, the state could force the consolidation of public schools that do not have a minimum enrollment per grade.
Sounds like a good idea in theory and I agree with you but that also causes resentment. Especially if the Consolidatee was well supported. Case by case basis.

Minster's playoff football game with Delphos Jefferson has been cancelled. Minster will move on to play at Allen East on Saturday, Oct. 17 in the second round of the playoffs.

I'm not sure what the # is or used to be, but Put-in-Bay has fewer than 100 K-12 and Kelleys Island has fewer than 15 K-12. Both have years with no graduating class.

As long as the district is solvent, there is no expectation to consolidate.