Complaint About a Tournament Director

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Doesn't matter where these games were, just wanted to vent a little bit.

When you call games the night before because it rains. Then it rains all night. Probably a good idea to push the games back the next morning.

What you don't do is keep the scheduled games listed for 8AM. Have teams show up at 7AM. The fields sit untouched and then let the coaches know that the games are cancelled for the day at 7:15AM.

Rain outs

I remember this happening to us a couple times over the years. Once in Findlay and the other times in Dayton OH...

The Findlay event was so screwed up they tried to swap teams, parks and times so no one knew what the hell was going on. The only communication was having to drive to one of the parks and find your team on the giant white poster board they set up.. I hear things are much better now though Dayton still has issues.

Doesn't matter where these games were, just wanted to vent a little bit.

When you call games the night before because it rains. Then it rains all night. Probably a good idea to push the games back the next morning.

What you don't do is keep the scheduled games listed for 8AM. Have teams show up at 7AM. The fields sit untouched and then let the coaches know that the games are cancelled for the day at 7:15AM.
You happen to call into a radio station about it this morning as a complaint about a bad fathers day weekend?

You happen to call into a radio station about it this morning as a complaint about a bad fathers day weekend?

It wasn't me. Maybe one of the other dozens of Dads at the complex were annoyed enough to call. Just hoping that a future Tournament Director might read this and be a little more aware.

We've had plenty of tournaments where the games were pushed back and eventually cancelled. It's very frustrating to drive to a field knowing the games are cancelled but there is that 1% chance the rain missed the area or the fields have magical drying agent on it so that they are playable.

Not condoning it, but I witnessed a 12U coach threaten to throat punch a tournament director for doing what you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wasn't me. Maybe one of the other dozens of Dads at the complex were annoyed enough to call. Just hoping that a future Tournament Director might read this and be a little more aware.

We've had plenty of tournaments where the games were pushed back and eventually cancelled. It's very frustrating to drive to a field knowing the games are cancelled but there is that 1% chance the rain missed the area or the fields have magical drying agent on it so that they are playable.

Tournament directors need to get drop dead times from each coach as to when they need to know about the start times for the day, especially in the morning, and then adjust their communications to fit that schedule.

With all the means of communications these days this should not be an issue.

If games are to start at 0800, the tournament director needs to know by 630 if the games are going to start on time. Of course, last minute storms can affect it but if it is too wet at 630 AM, then you need to push back the starts and inform every coach immediately.

If games are to start at 0800, the tournament director needs to know by 630 if the games are going to start on time. Of course, last minute storms can affect it but if it is too wet at 630 AM, then you need to push back the starts and inform every coach immediately.

Agreed. The worst part of about this past weekend was that no one touched the fields. Games were called at 7:05 after most of the teams were there.

If the fields are bad enough that you can't make an attempt to get them ready, there is no way the games shouldn't have been pushed back an hour.

Even more frustrating was that it ended up not raining most of the day and they could have played some games starting at around Noon. Maybe a shortened tournament but it would have shown they actually cared.

Agreed. The worst part of about this past weekend was that no one touched the fields. Games were called at 7:05 after most of the teams were there.

If the fields are bad enough that you can't make an attempt to get them ready, there is no way the games shouldn't have been pushed back an hour.

Even more frustrating was that it ended up not raining most of the day and they could have played some games starting at around Noon. Maybe a shortened tournament but it would have shown they actually cared.

Sadly, once you've played enough games that they don't have to refund your money, a lot of directors won't go out of their way to get the fields ready.

Sadly, once you've played enough games that they don't have to refund your money, a lot of directors won't go out of their way to get the fields ready.

Sadly, we've seen this a few times already. I understand not going overboard trying to get games in but at least make an attempt.