Coldest playoff game you've attended

I remember a playoff game at Baldwin Wallace between Mentor and Berea. I'm not sure the year but the turf was ice covered. Also many freezing Massillon games at the Rubber Bowl.

2005 in canton when st. x kicked the crap out of massilon in the state finals.

jtk
()

1989 Steubenville vs St. Joseph Rubber Bowl state semifinal. My knees were aching in the stands. There were space heaters on the steps to thaw the ice. Can't imagine what the players were dealing with

As a waterboy back in 1994 Garaway played buckeye trail first round it was 5 degrees and snowing all game.
Not looking to debate but just bringing back memories. However, during the first round of 1994 I was a senior and we were playing against Danville at Dover. Our game would not have been far (Im assuming somewhere between Garaway and Trail) from that game you mentioned and the temp was very mild. I still have video of not having sleeves on and I always wore sleeves on cold games.

I drove to Huron in 1996 to see Margaretta and Oak Harbor. I don't remember what the temperature was there but I do recall Cleveland reporting a record low of 14 that day. 11/15/1996

2000 D1 State Championship game in Canton between Solon and Upper Arlington and 2005 D2 State Championship game in Massillon between Toledo Central Catholic and Canfield.

Steubenville Catholic v. DSJ at Massillon Tiger Stadium in 2005. Froze our behinds off.

Girlfriend turned to me in the 3rd quarter and said under no circumstances were we going to Canton and watch the Massillon/X game that evening. :LOL: Defo a 'yes dear' moment. 👼
Same year championship game between Steubenville and Columbus Desales. I want to say temp for 11 am game was 4 degrees and that old turf at PBTS was like concrete.

1983 regional championship between Fremont Ross and Sandusky in Fremont. There was a snow and ice storm the night before the game. It was windy and like 10 degrees at kickoff.

2012 D-VI state semi

ML vs McComb

Cold as can be! It's 21-7 and ML appears poised to go up 28-7, but McComb d holds on downs fairly deep in McComb territory, and Panthers score on the first play after gaining possession. Huge reception and race to the end zone by Jerry Brown to draw McComb within a score at 21-14.

Game is eventually tied 21-21 and goes into THREE OT's!

Flyers finally win, but amazing comeback by McComb - their kids did not quit when things looked bleak.

And it was frigid in the stands during a loooong game!

Last edited:
1981 Tiffin Calvert vs Marion Local @ Lima Bath. Temp. In the teens wind gust up to 25MPH blowing directly into Marion's fans face. Only game l've been at where sat wrapped in a blanket the whole game. The other 3 bodies under that blanket made it bearable.

1981 Tiffin Calvert vs Marion Local @ Lima Bath. Temp. In the teens wind gust up to 25MPH blowing directly into Marion's fans face. Only game l've been at where sat wrapped in a blanket the whole game. The other 3 bodies under that blanket made it bearable.
Oh yeah it was snowing the whole time also.

1986 - D3 Region 9 Final- Campbell Memorial vs Kenston at Warren Mollenkompf stadium

1989- D3 State Semi Final- Campbell Memorial vs Lima Bath @ Mansfield Arlin Field
Great times for sure.
Also great games to watch.
Just amazing that they've gone from D3 to D6.
Devils' fortunes have definitely done a 180 since then. With closed enrollment, could drop even further.

As an old timer who remembers the past fondly, it's such a shame what has happened to this once proud school and community.

Great times for sure.
Also great games to watch.
Just amazing that they've gone from D3 to D6.
Devils' fortunes have definitely done a 180 since then. With closed enrollment, could drop even further.

As an old timer who remembers the past fondly, it's such a shame what has happened to this once proud school and community.
Yes. Not much left. Basketball team has been decent the past couple of years. My alma mater is quite possibly the worst overall sports school in the area. When Sikora came back for the 2nd time, it seemed like he was getting things going in the right direction. He wanted to be AD and Head Coach. Administration went in another direction for the AD and Sikora decided to leave. Been downhill since. Not sure if the football team will ever recover.

2005 in canton when st. x kicked the crap out of massilon in the state finals.

jtk
()
2005 Patrick Henry vs Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy snow and freezing rain the night before concrete aluminum bleachers. 22* at noon 36mph wind

That was the snowiest game, not the coldest in my opinion-
Coldest memorable game was 94’s Rubber Bowl McKinley win over Massillon. That was cold, I’m sure there are others but who cares after that one.

Yeah the "snowiest" game I've ever been a part of was Harding-Elder at the 2002 strate title game. Took us a good 3 houers to drive home from Canton.

i-7sR789w-XL.jpg

As cold as that game was, I remember the state semi vs. Massillon being colder. That said, neither compares to the Harding-Hudson playoff game in the shortenened '20 season. Freezing!

The coldest that I can remember being in Warren was at the Ursuline-Kirtland regional final in '08.