Coaches: Are you still getting paid for the spring track season?

claynation

There seems to be uncertainty about this among the coaches I've personally surveyed. Figured it was ripe for a proper Yappi discussion.

I sure hope so, I need to buy supplies for XC. Is it possible we could lose the fall season?, as Herbstreit has speculated.

Last edited:
I hope so. There is a TON of prep work as a coach to prepare for the season and a ton that coach indoor even though they don't get paid. I can reason getting paid the full sum. A half sum (which I think alot of boards are going to do) is also a little reasonable but most coaches that are passionate are working year round and going to the other sports that their athletes are in. In the whole $ of the district, a coach's stipend is pennies to the other costs to run the district. Not getting paid at all is outrageous.

Not to mention all of the equipment needing to be put away... 2 hj pits, pv pit, hurdles, cages for discus, etc... 80 uniforms and sweats to collect if passed out!

How many coaches are still working during the postponement? I know our distance Coach is still sending out weekly mileage and workouts they can be doing.

I know a lot are still giving workouts to athletes but I am concerned that these kids doing these workouts unsupervised is totally wrong. If something goes wrong (like an injury, medical emergency, inclement weather, some type of altercation with others in their community) while doing these workouts not being supervised by a licensed coach, it could lead to some serious harm to these athletes.

I wish if this is allowed that coaches could at least be there as a safety net. But it would be impossible to implement the social distancing because the students will all come together On a track with 8 lanes.

I know a lot are still giving workouts to athletes but I am concerned that these kids doing these workouts unsupervised is totally wrong. If something goes wrong (like an injury, medical emergency, inclement weather, some type of altercation with others in their community) while doing these workouts not being supervised by a licensed coach, it could lead to some serious harm to these athletes.

I wish if this is allowed that coaches could at least be there as a safety net. But it would be impossible to implement the social distancing because the students will all come together On a track with 8 lanes.
Most cross country coaches give their runners some type of training plan or weekly mileage target during the summer. This isn't much different. Whether they're supervised or not, runners run.

Coaching is not babysitting! We aren't coaching infants. This is a pet peeve of mine. Over coaching and over supervising. These kids are just running, jumping, skipping and throwing. Things that really don't require supervision. Things little kids can do.

I'm not there to monitor how they are feeling good or bad. I'm not there to motivate. Is the weather affecting things? I'm not there to coach technique, so you don't give them things to do that are too advanced or might teach a bad habit if done incorrectly. Strip it down to basics. Maybe make it more fun than you normally might since they are doing it alone. Scale it back. Remember that it's not all about the elite performers. 90% of the kids just do it because they like it. They just need a plan. Some will follow it and maybe even go above and beyond. Most will not do most of it. Some won't do anything. Running, jumping, skipping and throwing is just basic human movements. Kids play not rocket science. Don't overthink and don't over coach.

Our staff is still getting paid... but we are still doing a lot of work. Not working with kids, but now doing a lot of "other things".
some have been listed, like maintaining equipment (hurldes, pits, uniforms) and Facilities. We were in the middle of our fundraiser and will continue that until mid-April. (will not make much $, but still have all the paperwork). still going to do a recognition program for the team - it may be digital, but still needed. and we will be able to update our history that we have been behind on...ie Record boards, All-Ohio Pics, trophy cases.
As far as working with the kids goes - many are still "keeping up" and working on thier own or with siblings / parents. Most tell me they are keeping safe, but I would say some are not.... we will reinforce guidlines for staying safe.

Maybe I am just a lucky coach, but most of our kids ARE doing their conditioning without supervision. Even for Jumpers, Sprinters and Throwers, there is a base period and the month of March and April is still part of that.... Plus, getting outside (keeping social distance in mind) and being active is still much better than being closed in for, not only this virus, but also for everything else.
Now technical events like pole vault, long jump, high jump and hurdling are tough without a track (ours is locked) and could be unsafe without a coach. most of our kids are still doing some things. Like:
Our hurdlers took 2-3 hurdles home and are doing drills, and know the distance to the first hurdle and can practice that.
Our throwers took implements home and are suppose to do 20-30 "powers a day from a slab of concreate (patio) along with their drills
Our vaulters have short pole (cut off broken poles cut down to 4 feet or so) that they carry while doing sprints (up to 200 meters)
high jumpers repeat their "J" and long jumpers work on their approach - dont' need a pit, just a tape measure, do the steps; and most have basketball court at home so they practice their dunks (some it is just a baseball to dunk or they lower the rim).
All of there kids do some running and speed drills (even our throwers). The Distance kids are doing fartlek runs instead of 600 meter repeats, but they will be in shape. Like someone said, "5'8 may be the new 6'2", but that's OK. AND the kids will be prepared if there is a season. If/When the season is officially canceled, then the Kids WILL ALSO be prepared.... not for meets, but for life.
my hope is that if the Season is Cancelled, then the kids will continue to do the preparation because it is GOOD FOR THEM.
There are hundreds of examples where you want to prepare for something even though it is unlikely that the outcome will be favorable.
Maybe...
*These kids will still be able to prepare for an interview for a Job that they will not likely get.... it's still good to Prepare....they may get another job.
*Maybe they will save money for a house (or car or a college) that they will probably not ever afford.... but they will be able to get something else.
*Maybe they will practice for a season that never comes... but they will become more athletic or learn how to persevere by themselves
and they may find that giving up on their goals closes doors that are difficult to reopen and will close many other doors.

For almost all of these kids, there will be life after the Corona Virus.... They are smart enough to know that the odds are against them, but "giving up" is never a good option IMO. As far as false hope goes, IMO, there is not such thing