Co-Ed High School Varsity Basketball Team in Ohio!

So the coach got a call telling him who was on the team? Sounds like there's a lot more to this story. Who selected the team? Did they have only 11 who wanted to play? Best of luck to them.

So the coach got a call telling him who was on the team? Sounds like there's a lot more to this story. Who selected the team? Did they have only 11 who wanted to play? Best of luck to them.
They don’t have a girls’ team, as the season got canned due to numbers. So, by default, the girls who wanted to continue playing were afforded the opportunity to be playing with the boys.

They don’t have a girls’ team, as the season got canned due to numbers. So, by default, the girls who wanted to continue playing were afforded the opportunity to be playing with the boys.
I get that. Why did the coach get a call telling him he had 8 boys and 3 girls? Wouldn't he have been involved and at least already know how many boys he had? Just curious about the process. Since he was a previous girls coach, what happened to the boys coach?

I commend the girls for wanting to stay at their home school. That said there are very few girls that could compete with the boys let alone 3 from the same school. And if these girls are that good then the program should have no trouble getting more kids involved. There is more to this situation I am thinking. Regardless wouldn’t the school and girls be better off bringing up a few 7th, 8th and 9th graders to fill up the varsity roster. These 3 girls will not get as much playing time with the boys team. JMO

I commend the girls for wanting to stay at their home school. That said there are very few girls that could compete with the boys let alone 3 from the same school. And if these girls are that good then the program should have no trouble getting more kids involved. There is more to this situation I am thinking. Regardless wouldn’t the school and girls be better off bringing up a few 7th, 8th and 9th graders to fill up the varsity roster. These 3 girls will not get as much playing time with the boys team. JMO
7th and 8th graders are not allowed to play high school athletics per OHSAA rules.

7th and 8th graders are not allowed to play high school athletics per OHSAA rules.
Are they "not allowed" or do they just forfeit eligibility down the road?

I remember when OJ Mayo played, he spent two season playing varsity out of state in 7th and 8th grade, then had full eligibility in Ohio starting frosh year.

I also recall watching a player at a small Christian school play 5 years of combined JV and varsity. When I brought it to the attention of the head coach, he inquired about it through ohsaa and found out that they had some special qualification with OHSAA where the schools JV was not considered a certified ohsaa team and therefore they could have 8th graders play up on the JV without loss of eligibility.

Are they "not allowed" or do they just forfeit eligibility down the road?

I remember when OJ Mayo played, he spent two season playing varsity out of state in 7th and 8th grade, then had full eligibility in Ohio starting frosh year.

I also recall watching a player at a small Christian school play 5 years of combined JV and varsity. When I brought it to the attention of the head coach, he inquired about it through ohsaa and found out that they had some special qualification with OHSAA where the schools JV was not considered a certified ohsaa team and therefore they could have 8th graders play up on the JV without loss of eligibility.
They are not allowed, period. At least now. Rule may have been different previously.

under no set of rules ever do you get a 5th year of eligibility. You only get 4 years no matter what. That small Christian school was probably playing loose with the rules and the OHSAA simply didn’t care to make a point of it.

Was it possible the small schools was non-OHSAA? I’ve seen some rosters filled with middle school kids before, but it would have to be a non-ohsaa school.