Closed schools thread.

Here's a list of the High Schools that no longer exist that I have film of.

Adena
Amsterdam
Bellaire St.John
Bergholz
Brilliant
Buckeye North
Buckeye South
Cadiz
Canton Lehman
Columbus Central
Dillonvale
Dover St.Joseph
Hopedale
Jefferson Union
Lima South
Mingo
Mount Pleasant (Jefferson County)
Salinesville
Smithfield
Springfield (Jefferson County)
Stanton
Tiltonsville
Wayne (Jefferson County)
Wintersville
Yorkville
Youngstown North
Youngstown Rayen

Growing up in Cincinnati and going to Moeller, I remember Roosevelt High School. They ended up closing in the mid-70’s when I was in high school

Saw these guys play way back when dinosaurs 🦕 ruled the earth, at the Fieldhouse.

Kent State High
Mogadore use to play the Kent State University High School Statesmen. Played games on a Saturday afternoon on KSU campus, although had their own field. My cousin, who attended Stow- Munroe Falls, was accepted to KSU HS. Most students were professor's kids or kids who tested in to the school.

Canton Glenwood (closed 1975, merged into GlenOak)
Canton Oakwood (closed 1975, merged into GlenOak)
Greentown (closed 1953, merged into Hoover)
Hartville (closed 1958, merged into Lake)
Uniontown (closed 1958, merged into Lake)
Canal Fulton (closed 1952, merged into Northwest)
East Sparta (closed 1953, merged into Sandy Valley)
Magnolia (closed 1953, merged into Sandy Valley)
Waynesburg (closed 1953, merged into Sandy Valley)
Marlboro (closed 1957, merged into Marlington)
Lexington (closed 1957, merged into Marlington)
Washington (closed 1957, merged into Marlington)
Boston (closed 1958, merged into Woodridge)
Apple Creek (closed 1955, merged into Waynedale)
Mt. eaton/Paint Township (closed 1955, merged into Waynedale)
Burbank (closed 1953, merged into Norwayne)
Creston (closed 1953, merged into Norwayne)
Sterling (closed 1953, merged into Norwayne)
Marshalville (closed 1938, merged into Dalton)

One thing I'm curious about these consolidations/closures, is how many of them were multiple schools in one district consolidating and how many saw the districts themselves consolidate with neighboring districts to create new schools and districts.

Did Marshallville consolidate with Dalton? I ask because the Marshallville area is part of Green Local (i.e. Smithville) today.

IIRC, Greentown (Greyhounds) consolidated with North Canton in 1957. I believe it was after the consolidation that North Canton added the Hoover name to the HS.

Clinton (Rams) was the co-consolidator alongside Canal Fulton (Indians) to form Northwest.

In SW Stark County, Beach City (Pirates), Brewster (Railroaders), and Navarre (Rams) consolidated to form Fairless.

Before Glenwood (Eagles) opened in the late '50s and later Oakwood (Golden Raiders) in the late '60s, there was Middlebranch HS (Diamonds).

Canton St. John (Crusaders, possibly went by the Fighting Irish until switching to the Crusaders circa 1938) merged with Mt. Marie Academy (all girls) in 1945 to form Canton CC.

Article about a few of the school districts in Stark County:

Did Marshallville consolidate with Dalton? I ask because the Marshallville area is part of Green Local (i.e. Smithville) today.

IIRC, Greentown (Greyhounds) consolidated with North Canton in 1957. I believe it was after the consolidation that North Canton added the Hoover name to the HS.

Clinton (Rams) was the co-consolidator alongside Canal Fulton (Indians) to form Northwest.

In SW Stark County, Beach City (Pirates), Brewster (Railroaders), and Navarre (Rams) consolidated to form Fairless.

Before Glenwood (Eagles) opened in the late '50s and later Oakwood (Golden Raiders) in the late '60s, there was Middlebranch HS (Diamonds).

Canton St. John (Crusaders, possibly went by the Fighting Irish until switching to the Crusaders circa 1938) merged with Mt. Marie Academy (all girls) in 1945 to form Canton CC.

I found the answer.

Marshallville students attended Dalton from 1936-1953 b/c Marshallville only offered a 3-year HS when the state increased its requirement to 4 years of HS. After that, Marshallville chose to consolidate with Green Local b/c the state would not allow students to be transported through 1 school district (Orrville in this case) to get to another (Dalton in this case).

Last edited:
One thing I'm curious about these consolidations/closures, is how many of them were multiple schools in one district consolidating and how many saw the districts themselves consolidate with neighboring districts to create new schools and districts.
Hamler, Deshler, Malinta, and Grelton were separate high schools in the mid 1960s, but all under Patrick Henry Local Schools. They started a football program during this time as a co-op type since each school was too small to have their own. Finally in 1969 the schools consolidated into Patrick Henry High School. I believe the original agreement was 1964 or 1965 between those 4 schools.

Amelia High School
Ashtabula High School
Berea High School
Bettsville High School
Bishop Wherle
Blume High School
Brilliant High School
Louis Bromfield High School
Brookhaven High School
Central High School (Columbus)
Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education
DeVilbiss High School (Toledo)
East High School (Cleveland)
Gilmore High School
Glen Este High School
Hannan Trace High School
Harbor High School
Patterson Career Center (Dayton)
Kyger Creek High School
Lakota High School (West Chester)
Lehman High School (Canton)
Libbey High School
Lincoln High School (Canton)
McAuley High School (Toledo)
Macomber High School (Toledo)
Malabar High School
Marion Catholic High School
Mendon-Union High School
Midpark High School
North Gallia High School
North High School (Columbus)
North High School (Springfield)
North High School (Youngstown)
Olive Branch High School
Pleasant View High School
Roosevelt High School (Dayton)
St. Peter Chanel High School
St. Wendelin High School
South Amherst High School
South High School (Akron)
South High School (Cleveland)
South High School (Springfield)
South High School (Youngstown)
Southwestern High School (Patriot)
Rayen High School
Timken High School
West High School (Akron)
West School (Crooksville)
West Union School
Whitney High School (Toledo)
Whitney Young High School (Cleveland)
Woodrow Wilson High School (Youngstown)
When did Brookhaven close? I remember we (Uniontown Lake) played them in a playoff game years ago. They were absolutely loaded with talent.

Good article, it's probably a good thing that the days of 189 school districts in one county are over. I did not know Clinton was a part of Northwest's district. I would have guessed Clinton was part of New Franklin/ Manchester.

The article mentions that two Stark County farms are part of the Southeast (Wayne County) district. Would that be Waynedale?

Good article, it's probably a good thing that the days of 189 school districts in one county are over. I did not know Clinton was a part of Northwest's district. I would have guessed Clinton was part of New Franklin/ Manchester.

The article mentions that two Stark County farms are part of the Southeast (Wayne County) district. Would that be Waynedale?
Yes, Southeast Local is Waynedale. On the Stark GIS property viewer, I see 2 parcels west of Brewster that are listed as Southeast Local SD.

When did Brookhaven close? I remember we (Uniontown Lake) played them in a playoff game years ago. They were absolutely loaded with talent.
2014. I went to the final Brookhaven boys basketball game, a District Final versus Watterson, at the Fairgrounds Coliseum (aka “The Barn.”) It was a very slow, painful final game for that proud program.

It still doesn’t make any sense that greentown, being in lake township, merged to Hoover.

Latty, Haviland, Scott >>>>> Blue Creek
Blue Creek, Grover Hill, Payne >>>> Wayne Trace
Oakwood >>>> Paulding

Union Wildcats (purple & white) consolidated into Convoy Indians (red & white) in 1953 to form Convoy-Union.
Convoy-Union Indians and Wren Eagles consolidated into Crestview Knights in 1961. Crestview was originally to be called Lincolnview since you could physically see Lincoln Highway from the school, but that idea was not popular. Another name considered was the Black Swamp Bullfrogs or Black Swamp Golden Bears due to the school sitting on the ridge of the former Great Black Swamp.

Convoy High School actually had football from the early 1920s through the early 1930s. One season in the late 20s, Convoy had an undefeated and unscored upon season, outscoring opponents 228-0. They played teams like Payne, Paulding, Hicksville, Rockford, and Celina in that season. The next year, Convoy Indians scheduled Napoleon and proceeded to lose 96-0. For all you Purdue fans, HC Jack Mollenkopf was born in Convoy and graduated from Convoy High in 1921. During Crestview’s football stint in the 70s, the Knights played their games at Mollenkopf Field in Convoy!

In the history of Convoy and Crestview, football has been played on 3 occasions, 1920s-1930s, 1968-1981, and 1998-current. I don’t know of many, or any schools that have stopped and started football on 3 separate occasions.

Last edited:
Good stuff. Combination of too-small districts dissolving, or districts consolidating their smaller schools into a more reasonable size school. More often than not, bigger is better for all the tiny schools that closed. There is an ability to provide better resources when you have a bigger population of students, and therefore teachers and staff. Now is it possible to be too big? I dunno but probably, but I'd bet it would be only the largest of the D I schools that could be labeled too big.