Cleveland Cavaliers’ lottery fortune changes, will pick No. 3 in 2021 NBA Draft

You have to have big-time perimeter oriented scorers. Green is the youngest of those top-4 guys and produced at a pretty high level with good efficiency against grown men while skipping college.

I lean towards thinking Houston will take Green. Cleveland shouldn't be trying to swing any major deals unless they seriously want to move up, which has been rumored some with alleged inquiries about the #1 pick. If they end up with either Mobley or Green IMO they need to play at least most of the year with them alongside their other young guys before making any major roster decisions.
I agree … I think the Cavs are closer to a bottom end of the playoffs than most people think … just need a few things … health, consistency, better 3 point shooting … I was hoping to add a veteran (like Phoenix did with Chris Paul) … and I know this will sound crazy … but they can add a veteran without doing anything … Kevin Love … hopefully the Olympics will help straighten him out and he can come back and play more and better … would love to see him give them 15/10 a night with 40%+ 3 point shooting … with a three way rotation of Allen, Love and Mobley (if that is who they get) at C & PF … that may mean trading Nance … I like Nance and think he is more useful than Love, but I also think you can get much more for him than Love at this point and time … all this and another year of growth from the young pups could just push them into the playoffs.

I agree … I think the Cavs are closer to a bottom end of the playoffs than most people think … just need a few things … health, consistency, better 3 point shooting … I was hoping to add a veteran (like Phoenix did with Chris Paul) … and I know this will sound crazy … but they can add a veteran without doing anything … Kevin Love … hopefully the Olympics will help straighten him out and he can come back and play more and better … would love to see him give them 15/10 a night with 40%+ 3 point shooting … with a three way rotation of Allen, Love and Mobley (if that is who they get) at C & PF … that may mean trading Nance … I like Nance and think he is more useful than Love, but I also think you can get much more for him than Love at this point and time … all this and another year of growth from the young pups could just push them into the playoffs.
I don't think they would have been that bad this year if they kept Andre Drummond and played him extensively, and would have at least gotten close to the play-in tournament. It was probably for the best for their younger players that they got rid of him and focused on just developing guys.

Before they effectively shut him down in May, Garland gradually increased his scoring month by month and averaged 20.5 PPG during the 15 games in April on 48/38/88 shooting splits, while averaging 7.3 APG with a 2.2:1 assist to turnover ratio. After a bit of a lag in scoring between the 20th and 40th games, the last 31 games Sexton averaged 25.3 PPG and shot over 48% from the field. Those two got better and played well while the team was in tank mode down the stretch, and those two are still only 21 and 22 years old and I'd expect them to be a little bit better next year. If the draft pick makes an immediate impact and they get any veteran leadership/presence they probably will compete for one of those 7-10 play-in tournament spots in the east.

I lean towards thinking Houston will take Green. Cleveland shouldn't be trying to swing any major deals unless they seriously want to move up, which has been rumored some with alleged inquiries about the #1 pick. If they end up with either Mobley or Green IMO they need to play at least most of the year with them alongside their other young guys before making any major roster decisions.
A lot of chit gets thrown at the wall in the media this time of the year, but over the last 2-3 weeks the momentum seems to be building towards the Rockets taking Green and leaving Mobley the default choice for Cleveland.

The rumors on Sexton's status going forward have been all over the board. There has been much recent chatter surrounding the Knicks that I'd consider to mostly be the yearly NY media and fans irrational belief that they can trade a broken washing machine and some used basketballs for a guy that can score, but if Cleveland doesn't foresee paying Sexton a big contract and wants extra draft capital in a deep class the Knicks make a lot of sense having the 19th and 21st picks in this draft. The major problem is they don't have any young talent worth a crap that I could see them parting ways with in a Sexton deal to pair with 1-2 picks. Any combination of three between those picks, Kevin Knox and Obi Toppin makes Cleveland a much worse team this coming year and probably puts Koby Altman's job in jeopardy at the end of the season.

IMO Sexton's trade value will be much higher at the deadline than right now, if it's a given he's not getting extended by the Cavs and they will breakup the small backcourt. Regardless of who they draft, I think he'll have a slight uptick in scoring and/or efficiency this year.

Someone that's trying to win now that's in a closing championship window will offer a better return to gain him as a 3rd scorer/6th man to juice a playoff push and probably being cap strapped in a win now situation will value having his RFA rights more next summer than what a team like the Knicks or Pacers will this summer.

Last edited:
I really am not in favor of trading Sexton … especially for any of “rumored” trades … I would understand trading him if the return was remotely even and a better fit … but so far all the ones I have heard have been for crap …. he is much better than what is being offered … as for third pick … after some research I like Green, Suggs, and then Mobley, in that order. Green has the most talent and more a finished product than Mobley … Suggs might be my favorite … a sure fire winner … does all the little things to make his team win … I really like how he plays … just not sure he has the upside of Green or Mobley … any of the three will be a good pick … make the pick, keep Sexton, get 3 point shooting … my goals for the off-season.

I really am not in favor of trading Sexton … especially for any of “rumored” trades … I would understand trading him if the return was remotely even and a better fit … but so far all the ones I have heard have been for crap …. he is much better than what is being offered … as for third pick … after some research I like Green, Suggs, and then Mobley, in that order. Green has the most talent and more a finished product than Mobley … Suggs might be my favorite … a sure fire winner … does all the little things to make his team win … I really like how he plays … just not sure he has the upside of Green or Mobley … any of the three will be a good pick … make the pick, keep Sexton, get 3 point shooting … my goals for the off-season.
All of these trade scenarios blow. The only one commonly mentioned that could be halfway okay IMO is getting Herro plus Achiuwa or a pick from Miami. Fast forward to the deadline and I think you could get a pair of assets from somebody like the Warriors who have picks #7 and #14 in this draft, last year's #2 in Wiseman, a first rounder from Memphis in 2024 and their own firsts for the next several years. Sexton will be a lot more valuable to them the next 2-3 postseasons than any pair of those things, and I don't think they'd flinch to give him a big extension next summer as they ride out the last few years of the splash brothers and Draymond being a contender.

There are no bad picks as long as they pick one of those three.

Last edited:
I would prefer Green or Cunningham, but would not be at all upset at getting Mobley. He has size and skills. In a few years he might be Giannis-like. You never know? I could be very wrong, but Suggs doesn’t feel like a franchise changer to me.

I would prefer Green or Cunningham, but would not be at all upset at getting Mobley. He has size and skills. In a few years he might be Giannis-like. You never know? I could be very wrong, but Suggs doesn’t feel like a franchise changer to me.
I think Suggs will be a good player...but it seems like there are guys like him available just about every year now with the way the game is played and officiated. He seems very similar to Fox for the Kings, which is to say 3-4 years from now a version of Sexton that defends better and racks up more assists. The other two are probably lesser certainties but could be franchise changers if they get close to their potential.

I think Suggs is a Chris Paul/Jason Kidd type player … he makes any team better, but needs another great players with him … to get them over the top … but so does just about everybody else … as much as I like Suggs (and won’t be upset at all if he was the pick) …. I think Green and Mobley are better fits … just a little worried just how long it will take them to develop.

I don't think these guys are really going to be winning any time soon. They can wait on a "higher upside" player to hopefully develop. The goal right now should probably be to just quit habitually losing and get close to that 7-10 play-in tournament.

They were fortunate to bounce into the top-4 picks in this draft. They need to take whoever they think will be the best player 4-5 years from now, regardless of fit and how the current roster is constructed.

Mobley has a very unique and balanced skill set for a young guy of his size. He is the definition of a unicorn prospect. Not many 7'0 guys are as talented and flexible as he is on both ends of the floor.

That kid's so long and athletically fluid I think he'll be pretty good even if he stays skinny. If he could gain 30-40 pounds, he could be a Giannis, Anthony Davis, Embiid caliber of player. The Cavs are fortunate to be in the position to get any of the top-4 guys as long as they don't screw it up and trade out or reach for a different prospect.

Last edited:
Read into it what you will, but the "experts" report Green will only be working out for the Rockets and the Pistons.

Read into it what you will, but the "experts" report Green will only be working out for the Rockets and the Pistons.
I don’t think he has to work out for the Cavs. If he’s there, they take him. I understand the implication that he’s not getting past Houston, but it could be just wishful thinking by his agent.

Kevin O'Connor (The Ringer) reports that both Toronto and Orlando have made offers to move up from #4 and #5 to #3.

This one I do believe, and I'd be interested to know what's supposedly been put on the table. It's a four player draft at the top. Orlando wants one of those guys (probably Mobley), and I'd imagine Toronto prefers Mobley to Suggs. Both teams have point/combo guards with a lot of contract left that are either their best or second best player.

If you assume Sexton is on the way out, I wouldn't hate moving down one spot for Suggs if it brought a quality asset.

Four days out from the draft it feels like a lock that Cunningham, Green, and Mobley will go 1, 2, and 3 with Mobley to Cleveland.

I do think there is a real possibility Cleveland could make a big push to get back into the lottery, whether it's the Warriors (7 and 14), Kings (9) or Pelicans (10).

Been checking out the Ringer NBA guys and they have a serious man crush on Mobley and a couple would take him over Cunningham. They pointed out that the key players the past two title runs have been Anthony Davis and Antetokounmpo; Mobley is looking to be the next one in this style of player.

Whoever is on the board between Green and Mobley, probably Mobley, will be the highest potential prospect this franchise has drafted since getting LeBron in 2003.

Sky high ceiling for both. Short of someone offering a deal that includes a young stud, trading down can't be a serious option. If the price is right, I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to either jump back into the late lottery or pull a salary swap (and not just Kevin Love) eating a big deal for this year to shed some longer term salary to clear money for Allen's extension and whoever is next (Garland?) in a year or two.

Last edited:
Kobe Altman had better get this one right. I think it will be tough to screw up who's left between Green and Mobley. It would be exciting to see them figure a way to get back into the early first round but I can't see how they could do it. The other interesting maneuver could be how they move Love. I do think, however, that he could be a nice (yet expensive) mentor for Mobley.

I think the only way to screw this up would involve giving the pick away in a deal, whether it's down in the first round for a player like SGA from OKC and their pick or God forbid for Simmons while also giving up Sexton and matching salary.

If somehow Kobe doesn't convert #3 into either Green or Mobley his head needs to roll. The Cavs have a prime opportunity to get a potential franchise cornerstone on a cheap contract with several years of team control.

Mobley it is. This guy has an extremely high ceiling and would be the #1 pick in a lot of other years.

On day 1 this guy will make a huge impact defensively, and paired with Allen they might make the SexLand backcourt more tenable for the big picture if the financials work.

Ricky Rubio at the point,I'm all in,have to get the Firestick out this Winter in Florida...BAM!

Like the addition of Rubio. Pretty average overall player at this point, but he's a quality playmaker with a high assist rate that doesn't turn the ball over. He should help all of the younger players out, perhaps especially Sexton who should have less pressure/criticism to be a playmaker and can now just focus on being an even more potent and efficient bucket getter.

Play the five young guys as much together as possible this year and see what happens.

My starting 5 and backups if I was the coach
C: Allen, Hartenstein
PF: Mobley, Love, Wade
SF: Nance, Osman, Stevens
SG: Sexton, Okoro, Windler
PG: Garland, Rubio, Dotson

yes, start Nance at the 3 … the D from the 3,4, &5 would make up for the 1 & 2

*** would not be opposed to trading Nance, Okoro, Osman, and/or Windler for a real SF

Might actually be fortunate they didn't have to match a slightly bigger offer from anyone else. $20 million a year seems to be right at what was forecasted to be the expected price.

Might actually be fortunate they didn't have to match a slightly bigger offer from anyone else. $20 million a year seems to be right at what was forecasted to be the expected price.
Charlotte getting Plumlee and drafting a big helped take one team out of the mix.

Absent a trade, I see the starting 5 as Garland, Sexton, Okoro, Mobley and Allen. Curious to see if they can turn the mid-level exemption into a wing player/shooter that could help.

Charlotte getting Plumlee and drafting a big helped take one team out of the mix.

Absent a trade, I see the starting 5 as Garland, Sexton, Okoro, Mobley and Allen. Curious to see if they can turn the mid-level exemption into a wing player/shooter that could help.
If they could get a legitimate 3 & D player with the mid-level to bring off the bench with Rubio and Nance, they might not be too bad and in fact could be very entertaining.