Cleveland Browns 2024 Edition

I think keeping Chubb is really more of a PR move than a move to make the team better. I am hopeful he can return to somewhere near his previous level of play, but I can't imagine he'll be 100% and confident on that knee until at least next year. That was such a gruesome knee injury. Maybe he'll be the Frank Gore of his era and play forever. Although I don't think Gore ever had a knee injury in the pros.

Chubb recently agreed to a restructured deal and will count $6 mil against the cap for 2024. This is a $9.9 mil reduction of what his cap hit would have been on his prior deal. Good guy, great team player & locker room presence - everything one would want their franchise qb to be. Watson has played 1/2 of a game of very good football for the Browns (Ravens 2nd half). Outside of that, the Browns ROI has been horrible thus far. I think Watson needs a good start to the 2024 season more than most, it’s been 4 years since he was ‘that guy’.

The Jeudy trade was one thing, I can see trying to believe one can get him to play to his talent/potential. It’s another thing to trade for him & then give him a 3 year extension with $41 mil guaranteed.

FYI. Very unlikely Jeudy is on the roster for the last year (2028) of the deal: he counts for $28.9 mil agains the cap but if cut, the Browns will save $25.3 mil.

Chubb recently agreed to a restructured deal and will count $6 mil against the cap for 2024. This is a $9.9 mil reduction of what his cap hit would have been on his prior deal. Good guy, great team player & locker room presence - everything one would want their franchise qb to be. Watson has played 1/2 of a game of very good football for the Browns (Ravens 2nd half). Outside of that, the Browns ROI has been horrible thus far. I think Watson needs a good start to the 2024 season more than most, it’s been 4 years since he was ‘that guy’.

The Jeudy trade was one thing, I can see trying to believe one can get him to play to his talent/potential. It’s another thing to trade for him & then give him a 3 year extension with $41 mil guaranteed.

FYI. Very unlikely Jeudy is on the roster for the last year (2028) of the deal: he counts for $28.9 mil agains the cap but if cut, the Browns will save $25.3 mil.
Watson has played more than one good half when he’s played, but it hasn’t been enough anyway. He needs to be healthy all year this season.

Is he still a better deal than R Wilson?

The last two seasons what is the production of each qb? For the 2024 season, how much will each qb count against the cap/how much $$$ will each team pay each player?

Assuming each qb’s production remains similar to the last two seasons - what do you say?

No one knows what the 2024 season will be for each qb but I can 100% tell you I would not want to have either qb under contract for 2 more seasons (2025 & 2026) with a cap hit of $63.9 mil per.

I really liked a recent mock that had the Browns get the WR from Oregon and the RB from Florida State (Benson) with their first two picks.

Chubb is done. I wouldn’t extend his contract at all. In today’s NFL you should be drafting your starting RB in the second or third round every three years. It’s a throw away position these days. WR is now far more important.

As for Watson, he simply needs to stay healthy and be Watson. If he does that and the team is winning, which likely goes hand in hand, everything will be great. If he’s hurt all the time again the contract is officially a bust.
Simply staying healthy is a low bar. He needs 4500+ and 30+ TDs and at least the conference title game or its been a waste of time and resources.

Simply staying healthy is a low bar. He needs 4500+ and 30+ TDs and at least the conference title game or its been a waste of time and resources.

Watson has thrown for 4500+ yards & 30+ td’s once in his career (4823 yards & 33 td’s in 2020). Watson/Texans were 4-12 that season.

If 4500+ yards & 30+ td’s along with a conference title game is the bar for Watson’s success/failure, I think history tells you what the likely outcome is for 2024.

Watson has thrown for 4500+ yards & 30+ td’s once in his career (4823 yards & 33 td’s in 2020). Watson/Texans were 4-12 that season.

If 4500+ yards & 30+ td’s along with a conference title game is the bar for Watson’s success/failure, I think history tells you what the likely outcome is for 2024.
A more realistic goal is that he needs to elevate the team to win 3 games that they would not have won otherwise without him en route to a division title and strong playoff showing. It's going to be a tough task with Baltimore being what they are, Burrow coming back healthy, and the Steelers taking swings at finding their QB.

A more realistic goal is that he needs to elevate the team to win 3 games that they would not have won otherwise without him en route to a division title and strong playoff showing. It's going to be a tough task with Baltimore being what they are, Burrow coming back healthy, and the Steelers taking swings at finding their QB.
If history, at least the last quarter century, has shown us anything it’s that we can pencil in the Ravens and Steelers as certain playoff contenders. The Bengals and Browns, at least on paper heading into this season, have the look of playoff contenders. The division should be a rock fight, with maybe all four at 10-7 when it’s over.

Always interesting to get opposing fans opinions on draft day. How do the Brownies faithful feel about Mims to Cincy, Fautanu to Pittsburg and Wiggins to Baltimore?

I like Mims and Fautanu. Mims is an athletic freak if he's able to stay on the field. Seems like he is either injury prone, lacks mental toughness or both. If he can get straightened out in that sense, I think he'll be fine. Fautanu is a great pick as well. Dude is a two year starter and should be fine in the pros. Wiggins is an interesting pick. He fills a need and will be fine athletically. We will see how he holds up against top talent after coming from Toledo.

I like Mims and Fautanu. Mims is an athletic freak if he's able to stay on the field. Seems like he is either injury prone, lacks mental toughness or both. If he can get straightened out in that sense, I think he'll be fine. Fautanu is a great pick as well. Dude is a two year starter and should be fine in the pros. Wiggins is an interesting pick. He fills a need and will be fine athletically. We will see how he holds up against top talent after coming from Toledo.
Wiggins comes from Clemson, FWIW.

Wiggins played at Clemson. The Toledo cb went to the Eagles

If this is the worse thing that happens today, it’s a great day for you. No big deal.

The highlight of Wiggins’s catching a guy from behind & stripping the ball to save a TD, the kid looks like a Ravens defensive player.
Wiggins will be the best of the three picked yesterday by the AFC North. Definitely fits the Ravens mold and culture. Expect a few Pro Bowls.

From CBS:

54. Browns: Michael Hall Jr., DT, Ohio State​

Grade: A+

Tremendous selection. Awesome value meets serious need. Young, high-level productivity and athleticism. Hand work is well beyond his years. Could improve beating blocks vs. the run but he holds up well there for an interior rusher.

From ESPN:

From Where Have All the Flowers Gone?": " When will they ever learn?"
A forgotten move they made that has forced them to change course and play make up was the signing of the dynamic kick returner from the Dolphins a couple years ago with the plan that he get a lot of reps at WR as a speed guy. He has yet to see the field due to injuries.

from cleveland.com:

COLUMBUS, Ohio—The Cleveland Browns want taxpayers to foot half the bill for either a proposed $2.4 billion dome stadium in Brook Park or a $1 billion renovation of their existing stadium in downtown Cleveland, according to sources familiar with the discussions. While no plan has yet been agreed upon, the public’s share of those costs – $1.2 billion for a domed stadium in Brook Park or $500 million to renovate the Browns’ lakefront stadium – would be split between the state, county, and either the city of Brook Park or city of Cleveland, respectively, multiple sources said.

Lawmakers who attended last Wednesday’s group meeting said Browns representatives took steps to limit the spread of the information they presented, not giving lawmakers any written handouts about their proposals and asking attendees not to use their cell phones so that no pictures of the Brook Park stadium renderings would be leaked.

The renderings showed a rectangular domed stadium set 80 feet into the ground, so as not to interfere with planes from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, which sits adjacent to the site the team is eyeing as an option for the dome, according to meeting attendees. “It looked pretty fabulous,” said one of the attendees, Republican state Rep. Gayle Manning of North Ridgeville.

Lawmakers said they were told the Browns want the stadium to be used during the NFL off-season for concerts and other events.
The Browns representatives also laid out plans for building an extensive entertainment district of bars, restaurants, hotels and condos around the new stadium, lawmakers said. Most of that development would be privately funded, according to a source familiar with the plans.

Team representatives talked more about the Brook Park plans than the alternative of renovating the existing Cleveland Browns Stadium, lawmakers said, though they were told that a dome would not be able to be built on top of the existing stadium for financial and structural reasons.