Class of Central District

rjones

The Bears have the strongest incoming class in the state. Dominating performances by incoming Bear freshmen Grant Gooding and Grant Kennedy at JO last weekend. Gooding wins 100 & 200 Breast; 200 & 400 IM; and was just touched out in 50 & 100 Free. Meanwhile Kennedy wins 200 Fly, 200 Back, gets nosed out in the 100 Fly & 100 Back, and finishes number 2 to guess who in the 200 & 400 IM. Add these two to what's coming back for the Bears and lookout X the Bears are coming.

Correct X isn't looking over its shoulder. It does look like the Bears are climbing back toward the top of the Central District. They've stumbled the last couple of years with the rise of Dublin Jerome finishing out of the top 2. That could change this year. But there will be a lot of fast swimming this season and it looks like a strong freshman class. Jerome is still competitive. St. Charles has most of their team back as well. Not certain who either have coming in. UA will definitely be stronger with their incoming freshmen and what is returning. Expect a competitive team race at district. Would be nice to see those teams face off in season with duel meets. For some reason UA and St. Charles haven't faced each other the last few years in season. Anyway even with the improvements in the Central District, no team will compete with X.

X is a club team masquerading as a High School team. They have a ton of coaches and a nice on campus facility. They have more resources than just about any school in Ohio. Success breeds success so it attracts the best swimmers in SWO even as far north as Xenia. I really wish they could swim against the best high school teams in the country.

aquacard

Its been awhile rjones! Where have you been the last few years as UA struggled. After 50+ years in the top 2 they dropped all the way to 4th a couple of years ago. And the once invincible girls have eked out the last two district titles. Not sure they can repeat this year. Nonetheless, you are correct that the incoming freshman class looks strong...best in the state may be a bit of an overstatement. But they may have the best in Central Ohio depending on where others go. Suffice to say the Bears are on the road back.

rjones

The UA boys and girls will win the Central District easily in 2020 and keep getting stronger as their program continues to dominate Central Ohio. The clock is ticking on the state title as well. The girls will reassert their dominance within a year and the boys will unseat X before these freshmen graduate. Meanwhile work continues on the new aquatics facilities within the new high school. Completion of those will ensure the continued dominance of the Bears. Enjoy watching UA return to the top!!!

swimfan

You may be right rjones that UA boys and girls will sweep the district titles this year, but it won't be easily. Both SC and Jerome will be competitive in the boys and New Albany and Coffman will challenge on the girls side. Not sure anyone will dominate. I suspect that the spread for both the girls and the boys will be under 50 points from first to third. On the boys side UA should win the free relays, but I don't think they can top SC in the medley. Individually it will be a crap shoot. UA's dominance of the 500 is gone but they will be stronger in the strokes than in the past. On the girls side the relays will be competitive. At this point not certain anyone will win more than one. At the state level I don't see UA challenging X in the next four years. Indeed, I'm not certain a Central District team can challenge for the top 5 on the boys side and only in the top 5 for girls. While the Central District has gotten faster, so has the rest of the state. In team scoring the power remains in the SW.