Cincy Enquirer stepping up for wrestling.

Sanders125

Just about 2-3 times a week they are writing a pretty decent sized article on wrestling. This week the Kowal article caught my eye. Very glad to see this frosh get some love. One of Cincy's finest and more than likely the next 4 time placer for Cincy. Congrats A.J and coach Robbins and the Princeton program. Continued health and success through March!

Here is the article

Princeton’s Kowal aims to be one of Ohio’s best

By Nick Dudukovich • ndudukovich@communitypress.com

At 112 pounds, Princeton High School freshman A.J. Kowal is making quite the name for himself on the wrestling mat.

The ninth grader has compiled an 19-2 record this season competing for the Vikings.
Kowal

Princeton High School freshman A.J. Kowal (top) earns one of his 19 victories against a Milford opponent during a match earlier this season. Joseph Fuqua II/Staff

Kowal’s name grew around wrestling circles during December’s Coaches’ Classic at Harrison High School when he defeated Lebanon junior and eighth place state finisher Eddie Noble.

With the win, Kowal realized he would need to be extra dedicated to have continued success.

“After the match I was thinking that I had to keep working hard and if I did, I would have good things ahead of me.”

The strategy worked.

Kowal has since beat Noble a second time. He also picked up another impressive win over Mason senior and 2009 state qualifier, Brian Luria.

Long before Kowal started earning big varsity wins, he discovered wrestling by participating in the Moeller kids club during the fourth grade.

He took to the sport instantly.

“I just loved wrestling. It is a really physical, serious sport and it just seemed like the perfect thing for me,” he said.

As he grew older, Kowal continued to improve.

During the seventh grade, he didn’t lose a regular season match and as an eighth grader, he compiled a 32-2 record and was a junior high state qualifier.

During his undefeated season, Kowal realized he possessed potential on the mat.

“When I finished the seventh grade undefeated, I realized that if I could keep working hard, maybe I could be something special at it,” he said.

His confidence brimmed over to his current season with Princeton.

Rather than incur the road bumps that many freshman and sophomores suffer through, Kowal took his weight class by storm.

Even head coach Ty Robbins had no idea that Kowal would be this good.

“I knew he would be good, but I didn’t know he would have this kind of success this early with as hard as a schedule that we have,” Robbins said.

Not content to rely on the moves that have helped him thus far, Kowal has spent time learning new techniques so that he can stay on pace with the state’s best competition.

“(It’s important) to have new moves because it gives you an edge. There will always be a kid that can stop your moves, so you have to be able to do something else, ” he said.

Robbins believes that Kowal’s desire to become a better competitor is fueled by his passion for the sport.

“He’s got a strong work ethic. After practice he goes to open mats because he’s dedicated to the sport,” Robbins said. “If you want his level of success, it just doesn’t happen upon you. You have to wrestle a lot.”

Kowal credit’s his early success to his trainer, the Viking’s coaching staff, and Princeton seniors Corey Selmon, a two-time state qualifier, Kendall Sorrells, a former district qualifier, and teammate Greg Boglin.

“It means lot that they are taking the time to help me and work with me to help me get better,” Kowal said.

As the regular season heads into the final stretch, Kowal is eager about getting the chance to represent Princeton in the postseason and possibly make history.

“(A state tournament appearance) would be big,” he said. “I would be the first Princeton wrestler to qualify for state a freshman. It would be a real good personal accomplishment.”

What day do they do the "Honor Roll" and city rankings?

I haven't seen a city ranking the paper yet this year. And the Honor Roll, I've
been looking for that all season. When they do put in the results of wrestling from the night before, sometimes they just put the team scores. No individual results. But bowling and swimming, they have everyone in there. Bowling? swimming? are you kidding me? LOL. :wallbang: