Cincinnati transfers(to and from)

This attack on Gentry is bull. If people are taking their children to Deer Park so what. So what I hearing is when students transfer to Deer Park for basketball, then Gentry is a cheater. But when students transfer to Moeller, Carl Kramer is a great coach. GTFOOH. The Mahaffey kid left Northwest to go to Moeller. That definitely wasn't for Academics. I need you all to quit being hypocritical. If you have an issue with recruiting, call out the catholic schools as well and other big public schools too.

They all should be called out for recruiting.

This attack on Gentry is bull. If people are taking their children to Deer Park so what. So what I hearing is when students transfer to Deer Park for basketball, then Gentry is a cheater. But when students transfer to Moeller, Carl Kramer is a great coach. GTFOOH. The Mahaffey kid left Northwest to go to Moeller. That definitely wasn't for Academics. I need you all to quit being hypocritical. If you have an issue with recruiting, call out the catholic schools as well and other big public schools too.

I would imagine Northwest to Moeller being a pretty big upgrade in academics.

Rumors spreading through Butler County is that HHS is getting a couple of more players "moving in"...... We'll see how this goes.
well, if this is accurate, it wouldnt be the 1st time Higgins has done this. I believe he had back to back regional teams at Colerain. Then his transfers got into serious legal trouble and he escaped. With that being said, I think he is a tremendous coach. But we will see

You must be relatively new here because every year there are pages upon pages of recruiting complaints about Moeller whether it be for basketball, baseball, or soccer. Read a GMC or GCL South thread and the topic will hijack the thread somewhere along the way.

Can we just put the “recruiting” argument to bed forever, for all schools?

Newsflash, schools don’t operate without enrollment. Enrollment is pushed through recruiting. Who cares if it’s for a kid that can hoop or play the piano or gets a high score on the entrance exam.

I’m hearing Hamilton High has a pretty good 7 footer from Hawaii currently enrolled. How does a high school coach “recruit” a kid from Hawaii? Kids parents move here for a job? Remember AAU play was down this spring and summer also. Last but not least, it is none of our business where Sally &Billy Bob send their kids for School or how much they pay or don’t pay for their child’s education.

I’m hearing Hamilton High has a pretty good 7 footer from Hawaii currently enrolled. How does a high school coach “recruit” a kid from Hawaii? Kids parents move here for a job? Remember AAU play was down this spring and summer also. Last but not least, it is none of our business where Sally &Billy Bob send their kids for School or how much they pay or don’t pay for their child’s education.

Parents can send their kids to school wherever they want, but the OHSAA says they cannot be recruited... so it is someone's business. And if a kid is being given reduced or free tuition because they are a good athlete that is illegal too. I know it happens but to say it's none of our business is just simply not true because it is illegal. That is like saying it's none of our business if colleges pay kids/families money to get them to attend their school.

The OHSAA exists for many reasons but one of them is to attempt to keep the playing field level. If some schools are recruiting and some are following the rules by not recruiting it creates an unfair advantage. Some schools are a closed district and some are open enrollment. If you are a closed school district you are supposed to live in the district with your family. Open enrollment you can attend from anywhere. There are many ways to break the rules but there is no way the OHSAA can enforce everything. Seems that you are suggesting that we just have no rules.

The OHSAA exists for many reasons but one of them is to attempt to keep the playing field level. If some schools are recruiting and some are following the rules by not recruiting it creates an unfair advantage. Some schools are a closed district and some are open enrollment. If you are a closed school district you are supposed to live in the district with your family. Open enrollment you can attend from anywhere. There are many ways to break the rules but there is no way the OHSAA can enforce everything. Seems that you are suggesting that we just have no rules.

Kind of. What’s the real difference between Rules that are very rarely ever enforced and No Rules. Open House at a School Recruiting?

Plus with the push on vouchers, the “free tuition” angle is taken away. For some it’s already free anyway, or drastically reduced.

Open houses, shadow days, mailings, events at the school, new infrastructure buildings, new AP programs, STEM curriculum, etc, etc - there’s already a massive amount of recruiting taking place.

well, if this is accurate, it wouldnt be the 1st time Higgins has done this. I believe he had back to back regional teams at Colerain. Then his transfers got into serious legal trouble and he escaped. With that being said, I think he is a tremendous coach. But we will see

They weren't back to back, they were 3 years apart. The first one they didn't even win the GMC, the second they finished the season with a losing record. The rest of his time the were .500 which is really good at Colerain. He left for Lebanon because NWLSD is among the lowest paying in the area and he got a good raise. The only notable transfer came from Summit for family reasons and the only legal trouble was a kid who never played he kept on the team to keep out of trouble. Kid dropped out of school after basketball and was involved in a murder a year later. Look at all the recruits and how dominate they weren't while he was at Lebanon.

What's wrong with kids and their families wanting to go to a school with a better basketball program? Kids will have a better shot at winning state and receiving college interest at Moeller than 90% of schools. Yes, it sucks when top athletes from your public school transfers. That is just the norm these days.

Can we just put the “recruiting” argument to bed forever, for all schools?

Newsflash, schools don’t operate without enrollment. Enrollment is pushed through recruiting. Who cares if it’s for a kid that can hoop or play the piano or gets a high score on the entrance exam.

Kids go to our schools because they live in the district. I didn't attend with anyone who had been recruited, under even the most generous definition of the word--there was not a single student in the district who was there because someone from the school had talked to the child or the parents. I lived with a basketball coach and I can tell you with absolute certainty that he wasn't out talking to kids in other districts to see if their families wanted to move. Neither was the band director, or the math teachers. You taught and coached who you had.

I get that it's different at a private school like Moeller. Pretending you can have something like a fair competition between schools with such diametrically opposite operating models makes as much sense as putting Ohio State and Ohio Wesleyan in the same athletic conference.

I didn’t invent open enrollment. Schools operate under the rules that are created. People are going to find alternatives for bad schools and bad sports programs in their neighborhoods.

What I don’t like is this stigma that sports can’t be as important as other things that drive a decision. Sometimes, sports are the only thing keeping some of these kids motivated. Each family is different.

According to verbalcommits . com, Ben Southerland is now at Sycamore. Was at CHCA last year and has offers from Miami and Winthrop.

Kids go to our schools because they live in the district. I didn't attend with anyone who had been recruited, under even the most generous definition of the word--there was not a single student in the district who was there because someone from the school had talked to the child or the parents. I lived with a basketball coach and I can tell you with absolute certainty that he wasn't out talking to kids in other districts to see if their families wanted to move. Neither was the band director, or the math teachers. You taught and coached who you had.

I get that it's different at a private school like Moeller. Pretending you can have something like a fair competition between schools with such diametrically opposite operating models makes as much sense as putting Ohio State and Ohio Wesleyan in the same athletic conference.

It's not really much different at a private school.

I'm most familiar with Elder and 90% of those players arrived to Elder from one of the local westside catholic feeder schools. In fact, the vast majority had a dad, grandpa, or uncle who also went to Elder.

Last edited:
It's not really much different at a private school.

I'm most familiar with Elder and 90% of those players arrived to Elder from one of the local westside catholic feeder schools. In fact, the vast majority had a dad, grandpa, or uncle who also went to Elder.

True. McNick's an even better example.

Elder does need enrollment, though, as UCArch says. And they do have open houses, which I know because there's a sign for this year's down the street from me (that's a kid that didn't arrive from a feeder school, but I'm pretty sure the dad went to Elder). I'm just pointing out that many schools don't even have that. "Everybody does it" doesn't hold water know matter how far you dilute the meaning of "recruiting."

True. McNick's an even better example.

Elder does need enrollment, though, as UCArch says. And they do have open houses, which I know because there's a sign for this year's down the street from me (that's a kid that didn't arrive from a feeder school, but I'm pretty sure the dad went to Elder). I'm just pointing out that many schools don't even have that. "Everybody does it" doesn't hold water know matter how far you dilute the meaning of "recruiting."
Of course Elder needs enrollment. Every school needs enrollment or the school would cease to exist.

Do public schools not have open houses? I'm genuinely asking, I don't know? What I do know is more and more public schools offer open enrollment so kids who live outside their district are permitted to attend.

I won’t lie, this Wild West mentality regarding transfers doesn’t bother me so much with Basketball. However, if it leaks into Football, that’s going to cause a much bigger ruckus.

Of course Elder needs enrollment. Every school needs enrollment or the school would cease to exist.

Do public schools not have open houses? I'm genuinely asking, I don't know? What I do know is more and more public schools offer open enrollment so kids who live outside their district are permitted to attend.
Normally I personally go to the 3 Grade Schools closest by me (St Mary, St Cecilia, Pacelli) and put the Elder Open House signs up. This yr, they were already out when I got there. Good to see Elder being proactive.

Yes, it is and you know it. You don’t have to like Moeller, but don’t exaggerate to make a point.
I wasn’t — how familiar are you with the academic standards of the two/three schools?

Historically, Elder had the perfect feeder set up so they never had to expand beyond their neighborhoods. They’ve been forced to recently, but they still attract mostly Catholic feeder kids from Catholic schools.

It’s just not in their DNA to go out and try to convince public kids to come. And that’s fine. They don’t really play the game like some of the others do (which I think is also fine).

I wasn’t — how familiar are you with the academic standards of the two/three schools?
Northwest is ranked avg to below avg among Cincinnati area public schools. Moeller is better academically.

Northwest is ranked avg to below avg among Cincinnati area public schools. Moeller is better academically.
Not much— and if you look at the standard for the athletes, the difference becomes not worth talking about—certainly not the “pretty big upgrade” that the original poster referenced... Moeller has taken top athletes that were border-line developmentally disabled, if they could meet the standard on the field... I can specifically recall such cases, with a tackle and a tight end that played on some of Moeller’s best teams back in the ‘70’s— I won’t mention names, because it‘s not fair to put these kids’ mental capacity on display for the world— but there is NO WAY that this kid coming from Northwest SD is going to have ANY problems getting through Moeller...

As for the rest of the (non-athlete) student body, Moeller does less with more than ANY Catholic school I can think of— they are situated in the wealthiest, most affluent area of Cincinnati, get tons of kids from the surrounding area that are some of the absolute best school districts academically in Ohio (Sycamore, Indian Hill, Madeira, Mason, Mariemont, Wyoming... Westchester), and then rarely ever produce any top performing scholars... Sycamore (Moeller’s “local” public school district) puts Moeller to shame, academically— and it‘s not even CLOSE. If I cared about academics more than athletics (or even if I didn’t) and I wasn’t Catholic, and I lived right next door to Moeller, there is no way I would choose Moeller over Sycamore—even if BOTH of them were free...you’re giving Moeller way too much credit— it’s not like Elder.

Not much— and if you look at the standard for the athletes, the difference becomes not worth talking about—certainly not the “pretty big upgrade” that the original poster referenced... Moeller has taken top athletes that were border-line developmentally disabled, if they could meet the standard on the field... I can specifically recall such cases, with a tackle and a tight end that played on some of Moeller’s best teams back in the ‘70’s— I won’t mention names, because it‘s not fair to put these kids’ mental capacity on display for the world— but there is NO WAY that this kid coming from Northwest SD is going to have ANY problems getting through Moeller...

As for the rest of the (non-athlete) student body, Moeller does less with more than ANY Catholic school I can think of— they are situated in the wealthiest, most affluent area of Cincinnati, get tons of kids from the surrounding area that are some of the absolute best school districts academically in Ohio (Sycamore, Indian Hill, Madeira, Mason, Mariemont, Wyoming... Westchester), and then rarely ever produce any top performing scholars... Sycamore (Moeller’s “local” public school district) puts Moeller to shame, academically— and it‘s not even CLOSE. If I cared about academics more than athletics (or even if I didn’t) and I wasn’t Catholic, and I lived right next door to Moeller, there is no way I would choose Moeller over Sycamore—even if BOTH of them were free...you’re giving Moeller way too much credit— it’s not like Elder.

Lol. Your love for Moeller is always so impressive. If we all could live in the Perfect Jesuit world that you live and grew up in, we all could be as fortunate as you.

Lol. Your love for Moeller is always so impressive. If we all could live in the Perfect Jesuit world that you live and grew up in, we all could be as fortunate as you.
I do feel very fortunate (blessed even)... but the “perfect Jesuit world“ that you reference (at least in Cincinnati) is probably down there on Central Parkway, at DePaul Cristo Rey-- now, you want to talk about doing MORE with less— that’s where it’s happening— check out the cover story on this month’s Catholic Telegraph, for more on that.

I do feel very fortunate (blessed even)... but the “perfect Jesuit world“ that you reference (at least in Cincinnati) is probably down there on Central Parkway, at DePaul Cristo Rey-- now, you want to talk about doing MORE with less— that’s where it’s happening— check out the cover story on this month’s Catholic Telegraph, for more on that.

I'm sure you taught that school "down there on Central Parkway" how to run it if that is "where it is happening". You have all the answers.

Reactions: 4GX