Cincinnati Preview Article (Triple Double Prospects)

There are people who want 2 tournaments(public and private) saying privates have an unfair advantage; fair enough, i guess.

But the chicanery the public schools partake in is a downright absolute joke. It makes any "recruiting" by catholic schools of 8th graders look insignificant.

It truly is a "free for all" in the summer for schools. Taft obviously. CPS has has this issue for YEARS. Which is the hot school to transfer to this year? Taft? Hughes? Withrow? Woodward?
Last year When Steve Gentry said "I guarantee" we'll be back... uh, yeah, we all know what he meant, and goes out and stole Taylor's best player(in league), and a Roger Bacon guy and look, a Springfield kid. Where does it end?

I read on another thread Fenwick "may" be in trouble for "practicing" in the fall. I really don't give a rat's about that, I be 75% of programs do that anyway. But orchestrating all these transfers. And i'm not being "holier than thou" saying "these poor kids are being led astray by adults." My point of view is, the kids from other schools in these sectionals have no chance. Heck, the D2 sectional in SWO may be as tough as D1 in some ways. Division 2 had 2 sectional winners last year. Thats tough competition for teams that transfer in all district caliber players. When you bring kids like that into a d3 tournament, like seriously. Is there even any challenge?

Everyone knows it's a dang joke. The state doesn't care. They make up BS reasons to transfer. Until the schools hold each other accountable, it continues to be a joke and a clown show at these places.
I'm sorry for the rant.
Holy crap. Where's the tylenol.

There are people who want 2 tournaments(public and private) saying privates have an unfair advantage; fair enough, i guess.

But the chicanery the public schools partake in is a downright absolute joke. It makes any "recruiting" by catholic schools of 8th graders look insignificant.

It truly is a "free for all" in the summer for schools. Taft obviously. CPS has has this issue for YEARS. Which is the hot school to transfer to this year? Taft? Hughes? Withrow? Woodward?
Last year When Steve Gentry said "I guarantee" we'll be back... uh, yeah, we all know what he meant, and goes out and stole Taylor's best player(in league), and a Roger Bacon guy and look, a Springfield kid. Where does it end?

I read on another thread Fenwick "may" be in trouble for "practicing" in the fall. I really don't give a rat's about that, I be 75% of programs do that anyway. But orchestrating all these transfers. And i'm not being "holier than thou" saying "these poor kids are being led astray by adults." My point of view is, the kids from other schools in these sectionals have no chance. Heck, the D2 sectional in SWO may be as tough as D1 in some ways. Division 2 had 2 sectional winners last year. Thats tough competition for teams that transfer in all district caliber players. When you bring kids like that into a d3 tournament, like seriously. Is there even any challenge?

Everyone knows it's a dang joke. The state doesn't care. They make up BS reasons to transfer. Until the schools hold each other accountable, it continues to be a joke and a clown show at these places.
I'm sorry for the rant.
Holy crap. Where's the tylenol.

I agree with just about everything. I would like to see 2 tourney's. One for open enrollment and one for not. So basically all or most of the privates, along with the public's that chose to be open, play in same tourney. The rest play in another. Then police the ones who are not open enrollment. I guess that's easier said than done.

I just think the transfer thing is a sign of the new America. OHSAA or anybody can't handcuff these kids to schools they don't want to be at. That's why it's so many ways to transfer without penalty. We might not like it, but district lines are dying before our eyes and schools and programs are going have to adapt are enjoy being in last place every season. I mean you rarely see coaches stay at a school longer than 2 or 3 years before they start looking for better opportunities. Sometimes we as adults lead by example

Walnut and West High are waaaay to high and Elder is way to low. Besides that the article is well written and I love the reviews of the teams and players.

JElder - What am I missing with Elder? Saw them last year in District Final and they were solid, but most of their top guys were seniors. Cluxton is only returning impact player (although you might be able to correct me there). I do know they had a really good freshman group last year, are some of those kids expected to play key roles with the varsity this year?

JElder - What am I missing with Elder? Saw them last year in District Final and they were solid, but most of their top guys were seniors. Cluxton is only returning impact player (although you might be able to correct me there). I do know they had a really good freshman group last year, are some of those kids expected to play key roles with the varsity this year?

Andrew Harp 6'4" is a soph and IMO is on par with Bowen Hardman just without the offers yet. Keller will be an impact player as well and they return Cluxton and Luebbe (the current QB). They will be 9-10 deep and will run this year. They will be young but they are very good. For some reason the better Elder kids don't play on the circuit and I think hurt themselves from a publication standpoint. They will start slow if Elder makes a football run in the playoffs but they will be very dangerous toward the latter 3rd of the year.

Andrew Harp 6'4" is a soph and IMO is on par with Bowen Hardman just without the offers yet. Keller will be an impact player as well and they return Cluxton and Luebbe (the current QB). They will be 9-10 deep and will run this year. They will be young but they are very good. For some reason the better Elder kids don't play on the circuit and I think hurt themselves from a publication standpoint. They will start slow if Elder makes a football run in the playoffs but they will be very dangerous toward the latter 3rd of the year.

Helpful, thanks. Will make sure to check out Elder, particularly Harp, early in the season.

In the end isn't it a symptom of the AAU Circus?!?!?! I know soccer years ago had traveling leagues with year round soccer and such that people were concerned about but Basketball has become a whole other 3 Ring Circus with the AAU influence. I don't see how it can end as long as the AAU programs are running wild with what seems to be little or no constraints. I've been saying for years AAU is killing high school basketball.

Will Kandra play Basketball this season for Elder? Thought he was a solid player.

In the end isn't it a symptom of the AAU Circus?!?!?! I know soccer years ago had traveling leagues with year round soccer and such that people were concerned about but Basketball has become a whole other 3 Ring Circus with the AAU influence. I don't see how it can end as long as the AAU programs are running wild with what seems to be little or no constraints. I've been saying for years AAU is killing high school basketball.

I don't think AAU is killing high school basketball however, I do think it facilitates and fosters the new transfer mentality that is definitely not good for the competitive balance in high school basketball. Any time kids can get out there and improve their skills and play against better competition its good for them, and the game.

I am a big believer in playing quality competition. However AAU basketball is about individual stats. Nothing close to team basketball. It is “all star” basketball. One on one. Let’s see how many highlights we can get and working on individual stats. Nothing to do with building a team and winning championships . Of course there are exceptions, but I have watched a lot of basketball over the last 40 years and the last several years of AAU has become very much individual oriented. So no, I do not think it has helped high school ball one bit. Just my opinion

Walnut and West High are waaaay to high and Elder is way to low. Besides that the article is well written and I love the reviews of the teams and players.
Speaking of Walnut and Elder, what happened to their series. I use to enjoy their regular season battles on the court and in the tournament.

Speaking of Walnut and Elder, what happened to their series. I use to enjoy their regular season battles on the court and in the tournament.

I'm not sure why that series went away. Elder has definitely upped their OOC schedule this year. They are playing:
Huntington Prep
St Vincent St Mary
Walsh Jesuit
Cooper (KY)
Toledo Central Catholic
Turpin
And then the GCLS

Essentially the players listed are just AAU guys...there are plenty of really good players that don’t play AAU because they are multi sport athletes...especially at the D2-4 level...Tre Lopez from Indian Hill comes to mind ...phenom but a football first kid..lots of those types around the city in the smaller schools...