Cincinnati LaSalle

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. StX is in an entire different category than all of these other schools. It is one of the top Prep Schools in the nation.
I agree St. X does it at the highest level but Fenwick, McNick, and Badin certainly deliver on their promise to develop students both in and out of the classroom. Culturally they're all very similar. The fact that St. X can maintain this culture with that many students is what sets them apart.

I agree St. X does it at the highest level but Fenwick, McNick, and Badin certainly deliver on their promise to develop students both in and out of the classroom. Culturally they're all very similar. The fact that St. X can maintain this culture with that many students is what sets them apart.
I've been associated with St. Xavier for over 40 years. What I can tell you unequivocally is that the tail does not wag the dog there. It remains the largest all-male high school in Ohio. We need to be carefully not to make sweeping judgments of other male GCL schools as lacking a culture of faith, learning, etc. That's simply not so. I know people in these places. These are good schools with rich traditions who serve boys with all kinds of needs. Catholic elementary schools that traditionally have fed into the parochial high schools have seen fallen numbers for years and that is now impacting the high schools. There are a myriad of reasons for this that have little to do with the quality of the schools. Accusations without merit are unfair and not helpful.

I've been associated with St. Xavier for over 40 years. What I can tell you unequivocally is that the tail does not wag the dog there. It remains the largest all-male high school in Ohio. We need to be carefully not to make sweeping judgments of other male GCL schools as lacking a culture of faith, learning, etc. That's simply not so. I know people in these places. These are good schools with rich traditions who serve boys with all kinds of needs. Catholic elementary schools that traditionally have fed into the parochial high schools have seen fallen numbers for years and that is now impacting the high schools. There are a myriad of reasons for this that have little to do with the quality of the schools. Accusations without merit are unfair and not helpful.
I know people throughout the GCL as well. Not a sweeping judgement, there is a reason St. X was not included in my list.

What is LaSalle’s enrollment now (84), compared to the last 5-7 years? If this is a subject on here, it has to be declining with concern right?

I read in another thread that someone estimated LaSalle male Freshmen incoming class was about 80-85. Not sure but that is probably in the ballpark of McNicholas incoming male number and they reportedly have 40+ Freshmen practicing right now. Makes the LaSalle situation even odder.
Many parents can no longer afford parochial schools; a sad state of affairs.

Culture? Like the 1980's Miami Hurricanes?

Your info is bad. LaSalle has a freshman team. They were on the field today. Stop believing everything you hear coming out of Forest Park. Lancers take R8 this year. Keep sleeping on us.
It's so weird that so many people make crap up about La Salle all the time. If they're just a lowly DII school that is down and isn't as good as Withrow now, what's the point?

Catholic school enrollments are about to change for the better. No need to make decisions like that based on what’s going on now when drastic changes are around the corner
Yep, with the voucher program income expansion there will be more opportunities for families to get a private education. Public districts are already voicing their concerns fearing it will impact their funding.

Last edited:
Then why did LaSalle cancel their frosh game vs Moeller?
Screen Shot 2023-09-25 at 9.13.40 AM.png

Maybe it's been discussed here before, but I've never understood why the D1 Private/Catholic schools in Ohio don't form a conference. The GCL teams pretty much play St. Eds & Ignatius every year anyway, and for the most part they're on the same competitive level for all sports (excluding St. Ed's wrestling). I don't know if there are specific rules against being in a conference with teams from other states; but if there are not regulations blocking it, I would think they could even go after Trinity, Louisville St. X, Indy Cathedral, Roncalli, etc. Scheduling would be significantly easier, competition levels and strength of schedules would be stay high, and again...the GCL schools pretty much play these teams annually as it stands.

Maybe it's been discussed here before, but I've never understood why the D1 Private/Catholic schools in Ohio don't form a conference. The GCL teams pretty much play St. Eds & Ignatius every year anyway, and for the most part they're on the same competitive level for all sports (excluding St. Ed's wrestling). I don't know if there are specific rules against being in a conference with teams from other states; but if there are not regulations blocking it, I would think they could even go after Trinity, Louisville St. X, Indy Cathedral, Roncalli, etc. Scheduling would be significantly easier, competition levels and strength of schedules would be stay high, and again...the GCL schools pretty much play these teams annually as it stands.
Toledo Central Catholic, St Johns Jesuit and Toledo St Francis are in the Detroit Catholic league, at least for football.

Ya, someone was a little off. However, 29 on the roster has to be more than concerning.
I just have to chuckle, as there are many small Catholic HS teams who would salivate at having 29 healthy bodies on their entire 9-12 roster.
My alma mater being one of them!
I understand that 29 freshmen football players for LS may be significantly lower than in their recent glory years, but if attrition rates hold steady, there should still be 20+ playing as seniors. Can't run a great program with 80-100 players, I guess.

I just have to chuckle, as there are many small Catholic HS teams who would salivate at having 29 healthy bodies on their entire 9-12 roster. for LaSalle
My alma mater being one of them!
I understand that 29 freshmen football players for LS may be significantly lower than in their recent glory years, but if attrition rates hold steady, there should still be 20+ playing as seniors. Can't run a great program with 80-100 players, I guess.

I hear you, however, competing in the GCL could be a real challenge with if those numbers stay steady at LaSalle.