#2 Summit CD 2015
#1 Summit CD 2016

Girls
#5 Notre Dame Academy 2013
#4 McNicholas. 2014
#3 Indian Hill 2017
#2 Summit CD 2018
#1 Summit CD. 2015

Thanks for posting that. Little before my time but what was going on at Bacon in 1980, great player or just a bunch of beasts?

Thanks for posting that. Little before my time but what was going on at Bacon in 1980, great player or just a bunch of beasts?

Before my time in Cincinnati as well.
From the article...outscored 7 opponents by 27-3 on the way to D2 State title. In playoffs beat previously undefeated Tippecanoe 5-1 and Canfield 4-0 in the final. Finished 22-1-3. Article didn’t mention any specific players.

Last edited:
I guess that these list are fun but they're too subjective.

Since it's behind a paywall I can't read the article but it doesn't seem to be very credible if the 2007 & 2008 SUA teams are not even a consideration. Those teams could probably have their way with any of the above mentioned teams. Even the West side that won this year, though I doubt that they're a top 5 team of all time, would win some games against those teams.

The lists are worthless. Some things never change and the Enquirer seems as if it is still a rag.

I guess that these list are fun but they're too subjective.

Since it's behind a paywall I can't read the article but it doesn't seem to be very credible if the 2007 & 2008 SUA teams are not even a consideration. Those teams could probably have their way with any of the above mentioned teams. Even the West side that won this year, though I doubt that they're a top 5 team of all time, would win some games against those teams.

The lists are worthless. Some things never change and the Enquirer seems as if it is still a rag.
The lists are never going to please everyone. They are fun to think about, no way to really know. The article says they got input from coaches (past and present) and fans. I was never asked so not sure how that worked.

Irwin20 ... you would have to have been a coach!
I like that they did at least pick one team from the 20th century. I'm guessing 1980 was a typo and should be 1989 or 1990. I'm guessing that would have been Arszman/Gillespie days looking at their website. I'd like to see a team from the 70s listed.

Irwin20 ... you would have to have been a coach!
I like that they did at least pick one team from the 20th century. I'm guessing 1980 was a typo and should be 1989 or 1990. I'm guessing that would have been Arszman/Gillespie days looking at their website. I'd like to see a team from the 70s listed.
I thought it said coaches and others guess I read it wrong. I actually did coach some of those girls and against others but it was for basketball not soccer and before high school? some good athletes.

On the boys side, I’d have to include the ‘03 Lakota West and ‘81 Finneytown sides. Those teams were the real deal. Roger Bacon is the only one on the above list that I’d question.

On the girls side, have to agree with Roh on the SUA squads. ‘05-‘07 Badin squads were fantastic, ‘99 Lakota West pretty stellar. Not to take anything away from Summit (those two teams were pretty darn good) but have to say, though, the 2017 Indian Hill team is the best I’ve seen.

That boys 2003 west team was incredible. They had Mellencamp (Indiana), Noschang (Indiana), Kustos (Ohio State), and several other D1 commits. There game against East that year was one of the best games I've seen in front of one of the biggest crowds I've seen.

I believe the criteria for this list is GOAT State Champions. So that likely leaves some good teams ineligible.

I'm not aware of any consultation for this list (I couldn't find any listed in the article). It's the opinion of one highly respected long-time high school sports writer for The Enquirer, Mark Schmetzer. The article does suggest that the teams were "the greatest and most dominant of our local state champions." Great teams chosen. Highly subjective, to be sure. I wrote the following letter to the editor on behalf of my own teams, and since it wasn't published, I'll put it here:

"Let's Take it to the Field!"

I have loved the recent articles discussing Cincinnati's all-time great players and teams in various high school sports. As a former boys soccer coach at Madeira, I was particularly interested in Mark Schmetzer's list of our area's best teams. I want to match up my 2002 and 2003 undefeated state championship teams against all five teams on the list of Cincinnati's greatest teams! We're still the only public school to win multiple D3 titles in Ohio. Those teams set the then Ohio record with a 47-game unbeaten streak (since passed by Cleveland St. Ignatius and Dayton Carroll). The 23-0 team in 2002 was one of only a handful of undefeated and untied teams in the country that year. It also beat two teams ranked #1 in the state in a 4-day span of the regular season (beating D2 #1 Wyoming 2-1 and D3 #1 Summit Country Day 6-0). The final three tournament games were against three of the greatest D3 teams in state history (defending state champion Springfield Catholic Central, Worthington Christian, and Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy in the state final). CVCA had two future MLS players in its starting lineup (quite possibly the only Ohio team with that distinction). I'm not guaranteeing my Madeira team would win all or any of its games against Mr. Schmetzer's top five, but I wouldn't recommend betting against us. Thanks for your wonderful series!

The list suggests some recency bias (Roger Bacon 1990, notwithstanding) and small-school bias (no D1 Ohio schools for boys or girls?!). And top 4 for from Ohio plus 1 from Kentucky suggests a desire to include a team from across the river (surely very deserving). For the boys, the only undefeated Ohio team on the list is Turpin 2001. Among some great teams (many undefeated) left off...

Girls: the St. Ursula teams were unbelievable (I could choose from several that might be #1), Loveland's recent D1 state champion (thinking they beat one of the Indian Hill state champion teams from around the year of the list, maybe the year before), last season's Lakota West team, back-to-back state title Badin teams (led by future NCAA champion, Malia Berkley), some awesome Fenwick teams, and an undefeated Madeira team in 2010. I know I'm missing many other great ones.

Boys: Cincinnati was dominated by Finneytown in the 70's and early 80's. Multiple state champions, including the first tournament when there was only one division. St. X had a big-school state champion in 1983 that must have been amazing. I played against Turpin's 1-loss AAA state champion in 1986 (my team gave them their lone tie by bunkering), and they were phenomenal. This was Turpin's only top division state champion. The Summit Country Day team of 1999 led by Jack Cummings (South Carolina), Jamal Shteiwi (national champ Indiana), and David Koch (Cincinnati) may very well be the best ever Summit team. Mason's undefeated squad in 2013 is Cincinnati's only D1 boys state champion in the past 34 years. And, of course, my aforementioned undefeated Madeira teams of 2002 and 2003.

Of teams that did not win state championships, on the boys side the Lakota West team noted by SuperFan555 above that fell short in the state semis was incredible. In 2006, Fairfield gave up only 4 goals all season before losing in a goalless pk shootout in the state finals.