Cincinnati DI First Team All City

Lancermania

Lancers lead the way!
Runner of the Year
Nick Vogele - The senior from Anderson was FAVC East Runner of the Year. He was the District Champion, Regional Champion, All-State and made the podium with his seventh place finish at the State Championships. He had the best time of the area with a 15:26 and represented Ohio in the Mideast Meet of Champions.

First Team All-City
Michael Hall – The sophomore from St. Xavier led his team to GCL South, District and Regional championships. He placed fourth at the GCL, third at the District, and fifth at Regionals, helping his team advance to the State Championships. His best time was 15:52.

Brady Holmer – The senior from Lakota West was the GMC Runner of the Year as well as District Champion. His best time was 16:00.

Nathan Lauck – The senior from Elder was the GCL South runner-up. He was also fourth at District. His best time was 16:02.

Aaron Matheus – The junior from Kings led his team to the FAVC East championship by placing third. He was fifth at District and 12th at Regionals, helping his team advance to the State Championships. His best time was 16:09.

Arthur Meller – The senior from Sycamore placed sixth at District and 13th at Regionals, qualifying for the State Championships. His best time was 16:07.

Blake Meyer – The junior from Oak Hills was the GMC runner-up. He was fourth at District and tenth at Regionals, qualifying for the State Championships. His best time was 16:05.

Drew Michel – The senior from LaSalle was the GCL South Runner of the Year. He finished third at District and fifth at Regionals, qualifying for the State Championships. His best time was 16:04.

Antony Parnigoni – The senior from Turpin was the FAVC East and District runner-up. He placed seventh at Regionals, qualifying for the State Championships where he garnered All-State honors by placing 22nd. His best time was 15:49.

Evan Stifel – The sophomore from St. Xavier placed sixth in the GCL South. He finished seventh at District and 14th at Regionals, helping his team advance to the State Championships. His best time was 16:12.

Bryan Warden, - The senior from Kings placed 4th in the FAVC East. He also finished seventh at District and 14th at Regionals, helping his team advance to the State Championships. His best time was 16:08.

Girls First Team All City DI

Runner of the Year - Claudia Saunders - Sr. - Princeton - owned the post-season winning league, district, regional and state titles, also finished 5th at Nike Cross Nationals Midwest Regional to qualify to Portland for the Nike Cross Nationals Championships.

Monica Lake - Sr.- Mason - finished 6th overall at State and led her team to GMC, District and Regional Titles and a 3rd place finish at State

Kristen Seiler - Jr. -Colerain - Finished 12th overall at State and earned First Team All-State Honors

Samantha Siler - Jr.- Sycamore - Finished 14th at State and earned First Team All-State Honors

Kelly Burrows - Jr.- Lakota East - finished 35th overall at State and 9th in the Regional Championships

Abbie Von Fossen - Frosh.- Lakota East - finished 43rd at State and 6th overall at Regional Championships

Emma Hatch - Jr. Mercy - finished 53rd at State and 15th at Regional Championships

Lauren Wood - Jr. - Mason - finished 40th overall at State and helped lead Mason to a third place finish at State

Bridget McElhenney - Sr. - Mason - finished 42nd at State and helped lead Mason to a third place finish at State

Annie Heffernon - Freshman - St. Ursula - was the individual Champion and Runner of the Year in the GGCL

Last edited:
I assume Claudia Saunders is your girls ROY.

Nice job - both lists look good to me. It'll be interesting to see how the Enquirer lists match up

lane4, this is not my list. This should be the Enquirer's list. This list was developed last night at the Coaches Association meeting. Forty-two coaches were in attendence and develped the list by consensus.

Guys, relax. Saunders is the girls runner of the year. On the original post, she was not listed due to an error. In fact, there was no person listed as runner of the year, so anyone with half a brain knew it had to be Saunders.

Leave it to Seek Up to nit pick. Warden of Kings also was not 14th at regional. He was 11th. He also was 6th at district not 7th. Seek Up, do you think we should find out who researched the bio information, so they can be slammed on here for inaccurate data.

Leave it to Seek Up to nit pick. Warden of Kings also was not 14th at regional. He was 11th. He also was 6th at district not 7th. Seek Up, do you think we should find out who researched the bio information, so they can be slammed on here for inaccurate data.
For whatever reason, my eyes focused on those 2 particular performances, and, obviously, I knew that couldn't be correct. Based on the 36+ years I've been reading the Enquirer (I can't remember perusing the sports section prior to the Reds 75 season...), accuracy has never been a significant priority.

There was a committee of coaches that came up with the selections. The boys have one more than the girls. That's because two members of the boys team questioned one who was picked and whether he had the resume to be first team all city. Hence, the boys committee selected an eleventh name to be included. The girls committee of coaches seemed to favor the Enquirer's method where the state meet trumps everything while the boys committe seems to have considered the entire post season to make their selections.

Abbie Von Fossen - Frosh.- Lakota East - finished 43rd at State and 6th overall at Regional Championships

Shame about what happened to her at States. She was in the top 20 in the last 40 yards and collapsed. On the season, she did run an 18:22 to finish 2nd to Saunders in the GMC. Overall, a nice season for a frosh.

I was surprised that Lebanon's Jacquelyn Crow didn't make it. Or is Lebanon not considered for the Cincinnati team?

Lebanon is out. They compete in a Dayton district, in a league composed of Dayton area teams and are too far from Cincinnati to qualify. I assume Von Flossen got up after she collapsed and somehow got to the finish line. She is listed as finishing in 43rd place. She was 11th at the mile and 13th at the two mile.

Wow! Thanks for the link. She falls once, get up and falls to her knees a second time, gets up again and crosses the finish line. Look closely at her face and you can see she's losing consciousness.

Wow! The Enquirer devotes a full page to cross country all city team today in their print edition. Big, big pictures of Vogele and Saunders as runners of the year. Equally nice coverage of DII-DIII with action photos of Kistinger, Stites, and Heimbach. The wait was worth it to see this kind of coverage. Go out and buy your copy if you want to support this kind of coverage for our sport by the Enquirer.

I concur with Lancermania's assessment of the Cincinnati Enquirer's fall sports all-stars coverage. It is refreshing to see a very nice job done, especially to the eyes of one who has spent many hundreds of hours reviewing microfilm of past newspaper articles on Cincinnati-area track & field & cross-country. Few features of the past would match, let alone exceed the one done in today's edition.

The only suggestion I would have for the Enquirer, and other newspapers, would be to direct their readers to online resources such as MileSplit & Baumspage for more specific athlete/meet information should their readers wish to do so.

Kudos to the Enquirer staff!

Jav or Lancer - is there a link to the enquirer's online edition of the CC all city teams? If so can you post or send it to me so I can post on MileSplit

Unfortunately, all I found was an extremely abbreviated version that barely mentioned Claudia Saunders exploits. The online version appears to only show pictures of the top all-stars...nothing of the teams.

Lancer, can you find anything?

Unfortunately, all I found was an extremely abbreviated version that barely mentioned Claudia Saunders exploits. The online version appears to only show pictures of the top all-stars...nothing of the teams.

Lancer, can you find anything?

It could pop up a week from now, I have never figured out how they decide what they will post on cincinnati.com and when.

Sorry TROR, but I tried to find it as soon as I posted, but it's not there. I've heard two comments about the lists. One is that cross country is the only fall sport without an honorable mention list. The other is that no one should complain when cross coutry gets a full page of coverage by the Enquirer.

Ahh, so it didn't get posted until Saturday! No wonder we didn't find it earlier in the week!

Like I said earlier, you never know when things will be posted on cincinnati.com. Sometimes it's a week before it shows up in the paper, sometimes it's a week after. You just have to keep checking.

Thanks PantherVOR for posting this. I'm sure that is one of the values you learned playing football at Elder, never quit and keep fighting until the end. Your persistence paid off for all of us in the end. I hope TheRealOHRunners sees fit to still post this on his web site. The coverage given to cross country by the Enquirer in this regard should be an example to the rest of the state's newspaper that other kids deserve recognition for their hard work besides football players.

Just a side not as to why it took so long for this to come out. Evidently the Enquirer was upgrading their computer systems for the online edition of the newspaper.