CHL 23-24

CDRam84

Okay folks…let’s get it rolling! To me Wyoming is the clear favorite but IH is loaded with experienced upperclassman and Coach Hill should have his program headed where he wants it…My Mustangs graduated just about everything and everyone but I heard good things about summer ball…players playing tough and with grit…What is the word out west Red? Anyone want to chime in on Mariemont, Reading, DP, Finneytown?

Wyoming should be favorite, but don't underestimate the loss of Svendsen and Grayson. That being said, Wyoming has the young talent to be good for the next few years. Willey is really good.

Indian Hill should have strong senior class, but if CJ Hayden is out with a knee injury, that obviously changes things for them a bit. Jones, Grace and Podojil should lead the way. Jones will be one of the best shooters in the CHL this year.

Mariemont lost their best player in Tim Stewart. Tully and the younger Stalzer will need to lead the way for them. At first glance, they will lack shooting and a true post player.

I can't really begin to make a prediction with Madeira. As you said, they lost just about every contributor from last year. I don't know who's coming up.

Don't know too much about Taylor or Reading. Jaxson Snell is Taylor's best returning player. Reading lost a lot from last year's average team.

I enjoyed seeing Finneytown get better. Who knows how their roster turns out though.

Deer Park will probably be really bad again.

Wyoming should be favorite, but don't underestimate the loss of Svendsen and Grayson. That being said, Wyoming has the young talent to be good for the next few years. Willey is really good.

Indian Hill should have strong senior class, but if CJ Hayden is out with a knee injury, that obviously changes things for them a bit. Jones, Grace and Podojil should lead the way. Jones will be one of the best shooters in the CHL this year.

Mariemont lost their best player in Tim Stewart. Tully and the younger Stalzer will need to lead the way for them. At first glance, they will lack shooting and a true post player.

I can't really begin to make a prediction with Madeira. As you said, they lost just about every contributor from last year. I don't know who's coming up.

Don't know too much about Taylor or Reading. Jaxson Snell is Taylor's best returning player. Reading lost a lot from last year's average team.

I enjoyed seeing Finneytown get better. Who knows how their roster turns out though.

Deer Park will probably be really bad again.
I'm hearing Finneytown may have "revamped" their roster with multiple international transfers. No, I am not kidding.

Taylor will have Some young guys from JV move up!
Wentz and AJ dean being the 2 biggest (both will be sophomore's)
McFarland (who is by far their best athlete) should be making the jump as well.

I could see Taylors starting 5 looking like this

Wentz (So.)
snell (Jr)
Henline (Jr)
Mcfarland (So.)
Branch (So.)

VERY young! I know football only has 3-4 seniors, I see basketball only having a couple as well.

Last edited:
Taylor will have Some young guys from JV move up!
Wentz and AJ dean being the 2 biggest (both will be sophomore's)
McFarland (who is by far their best athlete) should be making the jump as well.

I could see Taylors starting 5 looking like this

Wentz (So.)
snell (Jr)
Henline (Jr)
Mcfarland (So.)
Branch (So.)

VERY young! I know football only has 3-4 seniors, I see basketball only having a couple as well.
You can clearly see how athletic McFarland is on football field. Ended up with nearly 800 receiving yards last year. You would think that eventually translates to basketball if his skills catch up.

You can clearly see how athletic McFarland is on football field. Ended up with nearly 800 receiving yards last year. You would think that eventually translates to basketball if his skills catch up.
Correct. I would say he most likely led JV in PPG last year by a pretty big margin. His biggest things though were shot selection/ball security/turnovers. I would think those 3 were a big reason why he didnt get as much PT on varsity. PLUS there is only so much room for guys.

A year on JV really helped him IMO. I think he will see majority of his Minutes come on Varsity this year though. Kid can jump outta the gym and plays hard nose D. They are going to need some of that Sophomore class to setup for sure!

BUMP, ill be working on my CHL preview in the next coming weeks. If there is a freshmen moving in that may impact on varsity please message me or something I obviously only follow Taylor so those would be the ones i know of.

2023-2024 preview

Last year Results

1. Wyoming
2. Madeira
3. Mariemont
4. IH
5. Taylor
6. FT
7. Reading
8. DP

COY Rooks Wyoming
POY Cravaack madeira

I think the storyline in this preview is , it's wyoming young guys league to lose once again AND who does Madeira Fill up the Varsity Roster with?

Key loses

Wyoming
Lance Grayson 15 PPG 3 STL 3 ASST 4REB
Will Svendsen 12 ppg 2 asst 3 reb
Trenkamp 3 ppg 1 stl 2 asst

Madeira - THE WHOLE TEAM
Connor Cravaack 21ppg 2 asst 1 stl 12 REB (POY)
Ownen Henry 12 ppg 2 asst 1 stl 4 REB
Carson Cravaack 7 PPG 2 ASST 3 REB
Colin Hacker 6 ppg 5 asst 2 stl 4 reb
Nick Heisser 6 ppg 1asst 3 reb

Mariemont
Tim Stewart 17ppg 9reb 2 asst 2 stl

IH
nate Vigran 7ppg 3 reb

Taylor
Brayden Kincaid 15ppg 1 asst 1 stl 5 reb
Zach Howard 11ppg 4 asst 2 stl 4 reb

FT
Ryan Swegman 17ppg 2asst 2 stl 5 reb
Taveion Booker 11ppg 2 asst 2 stl 5 reb

Reading
Antwon Brooks 11PPG 3 asst 1 stl 7 reb
Drew Vondermeulen 11ppg 3 asst 1 stl 5 reb
Nick Vondermeulen 9 ppg 4 asst 2 stl 4 reb

DP
Brandon Anderson 11ppg 3 asst 2 stl 2 reb
Conner Boehm 9ppg 4reb
Terrance Moore 7pts 6 reb

Key Returns

Wyoming
Kellen Wiley 10 ppg
Devin Evans 7ppg
Darren Gray 6 ppg

Madeira
Rockwell 3 ppg

Mariemont
Charlie Tully 8ppg
Stalzer brothers 11ppg

IH
CJ Hayden 10 ppg (injured unsure if he is playing)
Zach Jones 8 ppg
Alex grace 7 ppg
Podojil 6ppg (injured unsure if he is playing)

Taylor
Snell 11 PPG
Branch 7 ppg
Henline 4 ppg

FT
Prince revels 9 ppg
Benton 7 ppg

Reading
Powers 9 ppg
Webb 3 ppg

DP
Cam Arington 7ppg
Matt Wright 6 ppg
Brody Armor 4 ppg

------------------------

name of the game is the youth movement still in the CHL!
Wyoming will have a HUGE class of Sophomore's with a year of Varsity BBall under their belts.
Taylor moves up IMO from their finish last year (wentz , dean, Mcfarland all move to Varisty)
Madeira who will take the court?
Mariemont who will shoot the rock 20+ times now that Timmy is gone?
Will the IH senior class be with out Podojil and Hayden?

this is my take

1. Wyoming (its theirs to lose)
2. IH (if Podojil and Hayden are back they are a contender for sure if not they they slide down)
3. Taylor (snell/branch/ Mcfarland will be a force the next 2 seasons)
4. Mariemont (they will shoot 25 3's a game so bound to score some points
5. Madeira (who plays??? no experience?? who are some in coming freshmen that will help?)
6. Finneytown (loses alot, trending in the right directioon)
7. Reading (loses alot to a team that wasnt great last year)
8. DP (dont see much improvement from last season)

POY Kellen Wiley (avgs 15+ ppg and propels Wyoming to another league title)
COY Rooks (takes a group of Sophomores to back to back CHL titles)

Good take Red…IH? Some very good talent to challenge Wyoming…Madeira? I hear good things about hustle and Defense…Taylor? Good points and a great Coach in Holland…can’t wait till we kick off the season for sure 😎…any word from Mariemont?…Finney?

Good take Red…IH? Some very good talent to challenge Wyoming…Madeira? I hear good things about hustle and Defense…Taylor? Good points and a great Coach in Holland…can’t wait till we kick off the season for sure 😎…any word from Mariemont?…Finney?
IH's success or Lack of Success will come from if Hayden and Podojil play or not IMO.

From what I heard during the MM Taylor Fball game, Tully was "cleared" to return to play BUT he is getting 100% healthy for bball season?

Taylor is going to be small and Guard Heavy but Wentz and Dean can shoot the rock they will be nice additions to Varsity.
Henline will have a big year playing next to Mcfarland as well who I assume moves up too.

Nothing out of FT land that I have heard, they were moving in the right direction for sure giving fits to teams at the end of the year as well as their win in the Post Season vs a 18 win Williamsburg team!

I have no idea on Madeira , Darn near their whole team graduated so will be curious to see what they had in the JV/Fresh ranks that will move up. Could be a LOONG year for them

Last edited:
Agree Red…could be a long year from my Mustangs but I think they will win some games as the underdog on grit and hustle…Tully played for Mariemont last night…that kid is a great athlete…I have kind of conceded the league to Wyoming…they are just too good so I am more interested in how the rest shake out.

IH's success or Lack of Success will come from if Hayden and Podojil play or not IMO.

From what I heard during the MM Taylor Fball game, Tully was "cleared" to return to play BUT he is getting 100% healthy for bball season?

Taylor is going to be small and Guard Heavy but Wentz and Dean can shoot the rock they will be nice additions to Varsity.
Henline will have a big year playing next to Mcfarland as well who I assume moves up too.

Nothing out of FT land that I have heard, they were moving in the right direction for sure giving fits to teams at the end of the year as well as their win in the Post Season vs a 18 win Williamsburg team!

I have no idea on Madeira , Darn near their whole team graduated so will be curious to see what they had in the JV/Fresh ranks that will move up. Could be a LOONG year for them

The FT BBall Twitter account was a great source for news (pre-season and in-season) last year but it doesn't appear to have been touched since late May.

I guess we'll all be in for some surprises later in the fall.

I think IH will be good even if Hayden doesn’t make it back…good athletes, good coach..I don’t think they beat Wyoming tho…I will be on the TV call for some IH games so I will get to see them first hand…plus my Stangs..and I hope to get to Taylor and Mariemont…nice not having a dog in the fight…pick a game, grab a popcorn and sit back and enjoy 😎

1st timer here. Now that my last kid has graduated from HS, I feel safe to comment on the CHL.

1- Wyoming. Defending champs. Incredible soph class.
2- Indian Hill. They are so big. So big.
3- Mariemont. No size. But a lot of real good players.
4- Taylor. I'd take Taylor and their toughness any night with a chance to win.
5- Madeira - Should still be respectable. Solid PG. Huge center.
6- Finneytown - Depends who shows up.
7- Reading - Always a competitive team regardless of talent
8- DP

1st timer here. Now that my last kid has graduated from HS, I feel safe to comment on the CHL.

1- Wyoming. Defending champs. Incredible soph class.
2- Indian Hill. They are so big. So big.
3- Mariemont. No size. But a lot of real good players.
4- Taylor. I'd take Taylor and their toughness any night with a chance to win.
5- Madeira - Should still be respectable. Solid PG. Huge center.
6- Finneytown - Depends who shows up.
7- Reading - Always a competitive team regardless of talent
8- DP
Welcome Byron! Pretty good assessment

Bump!!!! CHL land is quite this off season for bball.

Taylor has try outs next week! (I'm getting to go through my 1st process with this as my son is a freshmen so pretty exciting as a parent 😀 )

After hearing rumors how the POY for football went the New CHL POY voting should be called "senior of the year" Not PLayer of the year.

So I am not confident with Wiley as front runner for POY

Does a Healthy Podojil win the award if IH can be in the top of the league? Possibly even Jaxson Snell from Taylor Depending on how they finish ?

BUMP

been very quite in here!

Madeira Looks to only have Rockwell returning that had any Impactful time on varsity last season.

Finneytown haven't seen or heard anything on that front either, usually their twitter is getting fired up about this time!
DP roster looks to be Sophmore heavy (from what is posted online right now)

Same w/ Taylor Currently 5 sophomores Wentz, Dean , larkins (could be the darkhorse on the team BIG sophomore who had a pretty good offseason from what i heard) and obviously Branch and McFarland

Mariemont only has seniors on listed on line currently w/ 7 Tully being the biggest name.
Letton avg'd 3 ppg

BUMP

been very quite in here!

Madeira Looks to only have Rockwell returning that had any Impactful time on varsity last season.

Finneytown haven't seen or heard anything on that front either, usually their twitter is getting fired up about this time!
DP roster looks to be Sophmore heavy (from what is posted online right now)

Same w/ Taylor Currently 5 sophomores Wentz, Dean , larkins (could be the darkhorse on the team BIG sophomore who had a pretty good offseason from what i heard) and obviously Branch and McFarland

Mariemont only has seniors on listed on line currently w/ 7 Tully being the biggest name.
Letton avg'd 3 ppg
How did Red jr make out with the freshman at Taylor?