CHL 2019-2020

I've heard this too. I heard wise actually practiced with Taft a couple times and didn't like the way they rolled (i.e. worked hard). How is he eligible to play for another school if he actually practiced with taft??
I think the rule is you can't scrimmage with a team.....but that is "before you can transfer"

he was already on his 3rd school by then, whether played or a scrimmage or not and spent an academic quarter there.

I just do not get it.

Wanna bet Gentry lets him do ANYTHING he wants since he came back.... even though his parents moved and he can't go to Deer Park anymore.

I don't know anything about the kid personally, but the adults (parents, coaches, administrators) in his life are letting him down in a big way. There will soon come a day when he isn't able to to what he wants and he'll have to follow rules. I don't think he'll react well because he's never had to. What a complete disservice and they are setting him up for failure later in life. And for what? A CHL title?

I've heard this too. I heard wise actually practiced with Taft a couple times and didn't like the way they rolled (i.e. worked hard). How is he eligible to play for another school if he actually practiced with taft??

Its the Deer Park way - they do everything they can to manipulate the system and find loopholes to get kids from other districts on the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its the Deer Park way - they do everything they can to manipulate the system and find loopholes to get kids from other districts on the team.
Unfortunately their old Super is at three rivers as the asst super. well not for long but he has been there

DP has been absolute bs since the day “coach” Gentry showed up...he needed a place for his kid to play and be “the man” which wasn’t happening at Purcell (Kerr is too good an actual coach...expects good team basketball)...so bring some aau recruits and find a down and out small place to Park the traveling circus...a place desperate enough for success to actually believe what you are doing is legit..a place where an old timey basketball alumnus has DEEP pockets and is extremely well connected...then on top of that play the race card....which never gets old in the 21st century....It would be funny if Prater, Walker, Lopez, Lakney, Solinski, Weiherer and Borgerding all decided to play together lol...but the difference is those young men have integrity and enjoy representing their actual communities, families and schools. That is the real CHL.
Hey Sports Jock are you sure about that because if I recall Gentry started varsity as a freshman there at Purcell. So if he wanted to be the MAN I think by now he would be don't you!!!! And didn't Purcell have an Elite team when they got 2 players from Clark that followed Coach Kerr to Purcell and 1 player from Aiken. I dont remember anyone saying anything about that.

I think the rule is you can't scrimmage with a team.....but that is "before you can transfer"

he was already on his 3rd school by then, whether played or a scrimmage or not and spent an academic quarter there.

I just do not get it.

Wanna bet Gentry lets him do ANYTHING he wants since he came back.... even though his parents moved and he can't go to Deer Park anymore.
I think most of you guys on here probably don't your research when it comes down to these rules because everyone always speculate about the rules of OHSAA the rules are the rules. We really need to start doing our homework when it comes down to talking bad about a kid and his situation. Find out the facts before you just say anything out your mouth. Yall sound like a bunch of pissed off parents from one of the other CHL teams that use to whoop up on Deer Park back in the day now there taking the whoppings. Ease up guys lets get to the bottom of this AAU team.

Its the Deer Park way - they do everything they can to manipulate the system and find loopholes to get kids from other districts on the team. Combine that with a sleazy AD and a school administration that is happy to look the look the other way and voila, instant AAU team playing under a school name.
SO what are we saying that OJ Mayo cant move to Indian Hill and play for Indian Hill because he didn't go there as a 7th and 8th grade. His parents cant move out the hood for greener pastures. Would we feel better if they moved to other CHL districts. I've seen a few new faces around the CHL in other sports besides basketball. And don't Wyoming have a new kid from Moeller that just transfered in thats on the basketball team. Again what are we really saying. The question should be is what did Deer Park or Gentry or the AD do to you. These post seems to be personal. Again yall sound like a bunch of pissed off Rappers that never made it.

SO what are we saying that OJ Mayo cant move to Indian Hill and play for Indian Hill because he didn't go there as a 7th and 8th grade. His parents cant move out the hood for greener pastures. Would we feel better if they moved to other CHL districts. I've seen a few new faces around the CHL in other sports besides basketball. And don't Wyoming have a new kid from Moeller that just transfered in thats on the basketball team. Again what are we really saying. The question should be is what did Deer Park or Gentry or the AD do to you. These post seems to be personal. Again yall sound like a bunch of pissed off Rappers that never made it.
i dont rap

Yall sound like a bunch of pissed off parents from one of the other CHL teams that use to whoop up on Deer Park back in the day now there taking the whoppings. Ease up guys lets get to the bottom of this AAU team.
Gentry's CHL record is 28-14. He's had 1 great season and 2 garbage seasons...with all of those athletes, all those recruits and he can only win 1 CHL title in 3 years. Me thinks he's a good talker who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Sincerely- Kurtis Blow

Gentry's CHL record is 28-14. He's had 1 great season and 2 garbage seasons...with all of those athletes, all those recruits and he can only win 1 CHL title in 3 years. Me thinks he's a good talker who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Sincerely- Kurtis Blow
Looking on the CHL website it says that he is 57-20 in 3 years after the school record was like 7-100 before he got there. Did I mention he also won a state title. Question is a CHL title better then a State Title asking for a friend. Who cares how many CHL titles he won has anybody in the CHL even came close to winning it all. Let alone be the first team in Hamilton County to win a State undefeated. Call it what you want as long as you put Champion in front. But your right he should have way more wins in the CHL to hell with the Districts and Regionals and the final four and state championships that stuff dont mean nothing compared to the CHL. Ha HA HA!!! Come on Kurtis Blow

Looking on the CHL website it says that he is 57-20 in 3 years after the school record was like 7-100 before he got there. Did I mention he also won a state title. Question is a CHL title better then a State Title asking for a friend. Who cares how many CHL titles he won has anybody in the CHL even came close to winning it all. Let alone be the first team in Hamilton County to win a State undefeated. Call it what you want as long as you put Champion in front. But your right he should have way more wins in the CHL to hell with the Districts and Regionals and the final four and state championships that stuff dont mean nothing compared to the CHL. Ha HA HA!!! Come on Kurtis Blow

Its amazing what you can do when you create/recruit a complete roster (not 1 or 2 kids like your previous comparison) to build an AAU team in a small school division. If you actually think that's coaching then you are a fool. To your question if another CHL team has come close to winning it all, yes, Madeira lost to them in the final 8. If you think many people outside of Deer Park respect that state title you are wrong, everyone knows what a complete joke it was.

Hey Sports Jock are you sure about that because if I recall Gentry started varsity as a freshman there at Purcell. So if he wanted to be the MAN I think by now he would be don't you!!!! And didn't Purcell have an Elite team when they got 2 players from Clark that followed Coach Kerr to Purcell and 1 player from Aiken. I dont remember anyone saying anything about that.

Gentry did not start varsity at Purcell as a freshman...he played JV and came off the varsity bench very limited minutes..and quite frankly the team was very solid so no room for a frosh..next year it was the DP AAU traveling circus...

Looking on the CHL website it says that he is 57-20 in 3 years after the school record was like 7-100 before he got there.

League record....league record, not overall. Stay with me Mrs. Gentry... Nobody said winning league titles was more important than state titles, I'm not sure where you came up with that. Surely someone with your knowledge can admit that a man who is such a great coach and leader of men should do better than an average finishing spot of 3rd in the little ole' CHL..right? He lost to Maderia and Reading last year and they don't have 2 kids who can even touch the bottom of the backboard. All those athletes and only 1 good year.

Gentry did not start varsity at Purcell as a freshman...he played JV and came off the varsity bench very limited minutes..and quite frankly the team was very solid so no room for a frosh..next year it was the DP AAU traveling circus...
And...Clark is OPEN enrollment...that is the difference...Deer Park is not..unless you are an AAU player Gentry wants...I figured he couldn’t play for Mitch lol...

Deer Park won the league in 2008 at 13-1...with actual Deer Park residents lol...Even if Wise is back the team is similar to last year..Munson is okay and Jones was just average at Taylor last year..Wyoming wins it...battle for second between IH and DP...Taft wins the region in D3...

Do your research Sports Jock I went to a few games and he was starting and looked to me to be the best guard they had on the team. Unless I was looking at the wrong person.

Do your research Sports Jock I went to a few games and he was starting and looked to me to be the best guard they had on the team. Unless I was looking at the wrong person.
Gentry scored in double figures one time at Purcell (vs. CCD in February). That team had Lyons, Garrett, Dotson & Taylor. That team paved the way for the success of the next two years (should've beat DP w/ Gentry in 2018).

Deer Park won the league in 2008 at 13-1...with actual Deer Park residents lol...Even if Wise is back the team is similar to last year..Munson is okay and Jones was just average at Taylor last year..Wyoming wins it...battle for second between IH and DP...Taft wins the region in D3...
Hey just my two cents deer park has a 6’6 kid that I seen in summer that know one knows about he is from out of town I’m told he is real good we might wanna hold our predictions until we see him..

Your thinking about the 2016 team that had the three transfers that year they were stacked. And I believe they lost to Summit that year in the post season. But the following year the only guard to compare Gentry to was Ace Taylor the rest of the guards were sub par. Again the games I went to he was the best guard on their team. That solid team that you called them 9-15. that year.. Again when yall start yall rumors about stuff on here with no facts all I hear is Charlie Browns teacher WWWWHHHHHHWWHHHWWWHH.... Come on Sports Charlie Brown teacher.. ha ha ha... It makes for good laughs on social media though I will give you that.

Gentry scored in double figures one time at Purcell (vs. CCD in February). That team had Lyons, Garrett, Dotson & Taylor. That team paved the way for the success of the next two years (should've beat DP w/ Gentry in 2018).
Dotson was hurt most of the year with I believe shoulder injury. Should of could of would of but nope wrong again. I believe Gentry is like 4-1 verus the great coach Kerr.

Hey just my two cents deer park has a 6’6 kid that I seen in summer that know one knows about he is from out of town I’m told he is real good we might wanna hold our predictions until we see him..
He’s from Springfield Ohio and I’m sure he moved to DP for the great schools, just like all the others. I’m sure he had no conversations with Gentry about coming there to play basketball.

He’s from Springfield Ohio and I’m sure he moved to DP for the great schools, just like all the others. I’m sure he had no conversations with Gentry about coming there to play basketball.
Wow really those guys do some serious recruiting really Springfield...does anybody know if he is any good?

League record....league record, not overall. Stay with me Mrs. Gentry... Nobody said winning league titles was more important than state titles, I'm not sure where you came up with that. Surely someone with your knowledge can admit that a man who is such a great coach and leader of men should do better than an average finishing spot of 3rd in the little ole' CHL..right? He lost to Maderia and Reading last year and they don't have 2 kids who can even touch the bottom of the backboard. All those athletes and only 1 good year.
Again 12-12 season 1 29-0 season 2 16-8 season 3 not bad from a team that was losing almost every game by 20 or more points for the last 10 years. Ok you cant win them all except that 2018 season so I guess I can't say that. But hey you know what they say Sh-- happens. Not a bad start to a league that's been dominated by 2 teams Wyoming and Indian Hill for the last 20 years. What do you call a team that's been in the bottom of the league for the last 10 years. That now your mentioned as one of the best teams in the league city and state. Wyoming and Indian Hill should dominate the league look how many boys they have to choose from compared to all the other schools in the league. Wyoming 254 boys Indian Hills 242 Madeira 170 Mariemont 192 Finneytown 169 Taylor 267 Reading 166 and the smallest school in the league Deer Park the team that yall keep ragging on because now there winning 133. So those top teams should be crushing the league. But not in basketball!!!! These stats on the boys are from 7th to 12th grades

Again 12-12 season 1 29-0 season 2 16-8 season 3 not bad from a team that was losing almost every game by 20 or more points for the last 10 years. Ok you cant win them all except that 2018 season so I guess I can't say that. But hey you know what they say Sh-- happens. Not a bad start to a league that's been dominated by 2 teams Wyoming and Indian Hill for the last 20 years. What do you call a team that's been in the bottom of the league for the last 10 years. That now your mentioned as one of the best teams in the league city and state. Wyoming and Indian Hill should dominate the league look how many boys they have to choose from compared to all the other schools in the league. Wyoming 254 boys Indian Hills 242 Madeira 170 Mariemont 192 Finneytown 169 Taylor 267 Reading 166 and the smallest school in the league Deer Park the team that yall keep ragging on because now there winning 133. So those top teams should be crushing the league. But not in basketball!!!! These stats on the boys are from 7th to 12th grades

Are you really that stupid? You're missing the whole point of the discussion. He did not take that team and turn them into winners, he RECRUITED an entirely new team. That 2018 team did not have one single player in their top 9 that play one second of jr high, freshman, or jv ball in deer park. Every single one of them transferred (I would say moved in, but we all know that's a lie) in to form their AAU team. That is not high school basketball and that is not good coaching - that is recruiting. And remember, dp is not open enrollment. And for the record, league titles(including shared) in last 20 years: Madeira 9, Wyoming 8, IH 5, Reading 3, DP 2, Finneytown 1 and Mariemont 1

Last edited:
Are you really that stupid? You're missing the whole point of the discussion. He did not take that team and turn them into winners, he RECURUITED
Call it what you want as long as you put winner in front. Again another pissed off rapper that never made it. Deer Park must be paying Gentry a lot of money to move all these kids into the district. Sticks and stones may brake my bones but names will never hurt me...

Dotson was hurt most of the year with I believe shoulder injury. Should of could of would of but nope wrong again. I believe Gentry is like 4-1 verus the great coach Kerr.

Quick check of the GCL website shows that Gentry is 2-2 since Kerr has been at Purcell - 1 win and 1 loss at both Shroder and Deer Park. Not sure why that record is relevant in the CHL thread but it's not some lopsided rivalry as you would imply. If I wanted to dig deeper I'm sure I could find out the overall record between these two coaches - they would have played when Gentry was at Lockland and Shroder when Kerr was at Clark. (Slow day at work so I researched it and if I'm correct Gentry v Kerr is 4-4. Gentry with two wins in 2014 77-70 & 69-57, a win in 2015 73-70 & a win in 2018 81-70 and Kerr with wins in 2008 68-67, 2013 69-68, 2016 73-51 and 2019 83-67. I don't believe they played when Gentry was at Aiken and Kerr at Mariemont. Actually pretty fascinating that only 7 points separate the total scores over these 8 games 560-553 to Kerr's teams)

I think if Steve Jr had stayed at Purcell he would have started both of the last two years. I believe he started every game after Dotson was injured as a sophomore but that information isn't available on the GCL website. I saw Purcell three or four times that season and he started each time. I can't imagine he wouldn't then be in line to start the next two seasons.

Deer Park has been really good since Gentry arrived. I do think a lot of the hate toward Deer Park is that they are an outlier in the CHL - as you mentioned other schools also get transfer students however that is usually only 1 transfer a year. Similar outrage was directed at Reading when they picked up 3 or 4 transfers in an off-season and made a state title run. You can argue either way on the transfer situation - I personally believe parents and kids should be able to send their kids to any school that will accept them and they should be able to play athletics. But I know that is also an outlier opinion.

I think this season Wyoming is probably the pre-season pick at number 1 by a slight margin over Deer Park. Their continuing football run may impact the league race if teams choose to play Wyoming before their football players have returned (state football final is Dec 6/7 and basketball games begin Nov 29).

Last edited:
Are you really that stupid? You're missing the whole point of the discussion. He did not take that team and turn them into winners, he RECRUITED an entirely new team. That 2018 team did not have one single player in their top 9 that play one second of jr high, freshman, or jv ball in deer park. Every single one of them transferred (I would say moved in, but we all know that's a lie) in to form their AAU team. That is not high school basketball and that is not good coaching - that is recruiting. And remember, dp is not open enrollment. And for the record, league titles(including shared) in last 20 years: Madeira 9, Wyoming 8, IH 5, Reading 3, DP 2, Finneytown 1 and Mariemont 1
Who's saying he's recruiting you, and you are who. That's right nobody. Again you just say the first thing to come to your mind with no facts from somewhere that really counts like OSHAA. Do you have an opinion of your own or do you just say what everybody else has been saying. One day your going to get a brain and maybe try and go work for OSHAA so you can stop this recruiting that's going on all over the state. My bad your just worried about the CHL right. Let me go ahead and say what your about to say next. Those other schools can recruit who they want because there catholic and you have to pay to go there so its not recruiting. I've heard it all before. What are you going to say to the kid that transferred to Wyoming this year from Moeller what are you going to say about the kid that transferred to Reading this year what are you going to say about all the kids that transferred to CHCA because they werent going to play at Moeller. That's right we can't talk about teams where there parents have to pay a tuition its ok to for them. Maybe Deer Park needs to start charging parents tuition to go to there. Then maybe you would shut up and make some sense on here.

Last edited:
And...Clark is OPEN enrollment...that is the difference...Deer Park is not..unless you are an AAU player Gentry wants...I figured he couldn’t play for Mitch lol...I have watched him play and he is lazy with a capital L if the ball is not in his hands
I know a lot of kids that can't play for Mitch with all the yelling he does during and after the games. Its some kids on there team now that dont like playing for him. But has no choice but to deal with him for one season.