Charlie Coles!

Very sad. I always liked Coach Coles and I have diehard Redhawk fans in my family that love him and will definitely miss him. I got to meet him once and he was pretty friendly and seemed like a good guy.

Very sad. I always liked Coach Coles and I have diehard Redhawk fans in my family that love him and will definitely miss him. I got to meet him once and he was pretty friendly and seemed like a good guy.

He and Skip Prosser are the only coaches that I know of that never seemed to have any enemies. I thought Charley was a very good floor coach, but, he was coaching a program that was hard to recruit for.

Charlie Coles probably lost most of his recruits when he took them inside Millet Hall. If I were a recruit I wouldn't want to play in that cavernous dump either.

845_b385820edd9335ab575670e618f83f6dc2109ad7

I don't know much about Miami's attendance but would 3,000 seats be enough for them? Also, looking at pictures of Goggin Arena, it looks like it would be a terrible set-up for basketball.

Basketball wouldn't work in Goggin anyway because the court would be too far away from the seats, plus it's too small. Seems like they could have invested a little more and built a multi purpose arena that would have worked for both sports with more seats. I'm almost certain hockey outdraws basketball at Miami though, they are consistently National Champ. contenders.

Yeah, like I said I really don't know much about Miami basketball, but I really doubt they draw more than 5,000 a game. Adding 2 or 3 more thousand to the ice arena would have done just fine IMO.

This past season, anything over 2500 would be a big crowd.

Asking what happened to Miami attendance is like asking the chicken or egg question. Average attendance at Miami has declined every year but one since 1999 (the sweet 16 year). I remember going to games during and before '99 when it wasn't a bad venue to watch a game. Millett can seat about 9,000 without the tarps and curtains. Yeah, it's dark, and some of the seats are far away (the arena is best suited for concerts and graduations), but the concourse is vibrant, the concessions are good, the bathrooms are good, and the seats are comfy. The tarps and curtains make it feel crippled.

I wonder if the hockey team's national spotlight has anything to do with it. Like, if someone was going to devote time and money towards a Miami sport during the winter, they're going to pick hockey over basketball.