Changing your own calipers, brakes, and rotors

Crusaders

Took my car in to get checked after experiencing some grinding and pulling when braking, and it seems like there's an issue with one of the calipers, and it's caused uneven wear on the pads and rotor. So, it all needs replacing, and since it's an AWD, as far as I know, I have to do front driver and passenger. The cost to do that somewhere is kind of outrageous, and I figure I can do it myself. I have all the tools to do it, just looking for some pointers, tricks of the trade, recommended brands/brands to avoid, etc.

eastisbest

I know people still doing those at home, even on newer models. I'm not sure why'd need all four but if that's what is needed. See if you can find an online maintenance manual first or just go buy one for your make and model, measure whether you think it is within your tool and skill set. Or hell, just youtube. If it's not within your skill set, you'll pay more money fixing what you screw up than the original job would have cost.

eastisbest

My experience gives me more than a "slightly so." There are so many videos, youtube helped me a lot on maintenance of things around the house. I can often find something for exactly the same model of whatever. Some really cool hacks too. There are more ways to burn down the house than I could ever have imagined on my own.

ronnie mund

Yeah that was a really dumb post by ep. YouTube is arguably the best resource out there for car maintenance questions and how-to's.

OhioBobcatFan06

My experience gives me more than a "slightly so." There are so many videos, youtube helped me a lot on maintenance of things around the house. I can often find something for exactly the same model of whatever. Some really cool hacks too. There are more ways to burn down the house than I could ever have imagined on my own.
I'm always amazed I find my exact year/model, with multiple videos from multiple people.

Not just car stuff. Everything from house maintenance to cooking to computer programming the answer is on YouTube

eastside_purple

Yeah that was a really dumb post by ep. YouTube is arguably the best resource out there for car maintenance questions and how-to's.
I think margin for error for brake work is higher than honey-do items. Not sure I’d pick a rando youtube video for that, but it’s probably okay for Crusaders. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Auggie

+1 on Youtube for simple auto repairs, especially replacing light bulbs since every vehicle seems to have a different way of getting to the connection.

irish_buffalo

As EIB stated you can usually YouTube search your car make/model and year as well as "brakes/calipers" and several videos will pop up walking you through exactly how to do it.

clarkgriswold

A lot of people do them on their own. I am pretty handy and do basic car and home maintenance stuff on my own, but when it comes to stopping quickly I will rely on the professionals thanks.

Sig Hansen

100%, same with home improvement stuff

At the very least it shows you when not to do a job. Watch the video, if the work required is above your skillset then have someone else do it.

MickeyMantle

A friend of mine does my brakes. I help a great deal, but rely on his expertise. The last time, however, he was unavailable and I already had the needed parts so I took them to the pros to put on. I saved a TON of money that way. Did the same with a tie rod. Seems like a good bet in your situation.

Crusaders

$800 job that costs about $350 in parts and 2 hours of work. I'll do it myself, thanks. I had to hold back laughter as the mechanic tried to make it sound like putting on new clips and adding lubricant was some kind of complex job. What a bunch of shysters.

Sig Hansen

Yesterday I attempted to replace the front shocks on my truck, which were totally spent. Sheared off two of the rusted out bolts and now I can't get them off, so now I'm taking it to my mechanic anyway. Oh well 🙃

It's total bs that new hardware isn't included with the shocks.

thavoice

$800 job that costs about $350 in parts and 2 hours of work. I'll do it myself, thanks. I had to hold back laughter as the mechanic tried to make it sound like putting on new clips and adding lubricant was some kind of complex job. What a bunch of shysters.
Yeah. changing the break pads, clips and rotors, is pretty easy.