CFP Title Game: Michigan vs Washington

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The favorite has covered the spread in the last 4 title games.
I wished that guaranteed victory, but it doesn't. Michigan has a solid opponent. They beat a solid Oregon team twice. They beat a solid Texas team. They won the PAC12 which this year was probably the 2nd deepest conference. But IMHO, Michigan has the ability to keep Pennix on the sideline and limit his possessions as the Wolverine offense has long punishing "boa constrictor" drives. And also wears them down for the 4th quarter when they wilt. That and play like they do vs. osu. Just don't let ANY deep over the top TD's. Force Washington to take the methodical underneath stuff and keep everything in front of them. Then make the tackle. And Michigan is usually a pretty decent open field tackling team. It's ok to give up yardage, then as the field shrinks, hold to some FG's, not Tds. The same formula they use vs. osu. Go Blue!

I wished that guaranteed victory, but it doesn't. Michigan has a solid opponent. They beat a solid Oregon team twice. They beat a solid Texas team. They won the PAC12 which this year was probably the 2nd deepest conference. But IMHO, Michigan has the ability to keep Pennix on the sideline and limit his possessions as the Wolverine offense has long punishing "boa constrictor" drives. And also wears them down for the 4th quarter when they wilt. That and play like they do vs. osu. Just don't let ANY deep over the top TD's. Force Washington to take the methodical underneath stuff and keep everything in front of them. Then make the tackle. And Michigan is usually a pretty decent open field tackling team. It's ok to give up yardage, then as the field shrinks, hold to some FG's, not Tds. The same formula they use vs. osu. Go Blue!
Thanks Joel

I wrote it once I found out who Michigan was going to play for the Natty. Washington is no joke, and I am more concerned about them than I was Bama. It's about matchups. That passing game is not the best matchup for Michigan. But all those games over the past few years with osu has given Minter plenty of looks at how to defend the high octane offense. Keep EVERYTHING in front of them, then tackle. Let the field shrink, and try to hold them to FG's as much as possible. But this is just as HUGE: Michigan MUST win the time of possession by using their punishing run game and keeping Pennix on the sideline. JJ will still have to make some plays, and I believe he will. He had an average game at best, vs. Bama. So I do look for him to be sharper. Michigan has had this game on their mind since the brutal TCU loss. It is Team 144's time. Experience, coaching, physicality, along with winning the time of possession and the turnover battle are the main keys for Michigan to binging the Natty to Ann Arbor. My early analysis back at the beginning of this thread have pretty much stayed the same. Go Blue!

Last edited:
I wrote it once I found out who Michigan was going to play for the Natty. Washington is no joke, and I am more concerned about them that I was Bama. It's about matchups. That passing game is not the best matchup for Michigan. But all those games over the past few years with osu has given Minter plenty of looks at how to defend the high octane offense. Keep EVERYTHING in front of them, then tackle. Let the field shrink, and try to hold them to FG's as much as possible. But this is just as HUGE: Michigan MUST win the time of possession by using their punishing run game and keeping Pennix on the sideline. JJ will still have to make some plays, and I believe he will. He had an average game at best, vs. Bama. So I do look for him to be sharper. Michigan has had this game on their mind since the brutal TCU loss. It is Team 144's time. Experience, coaching, physicality, along with winning the time of possession and the turnover battle are the main keys for Michigan to binging the Natty to Ann Arbor. My early analysis back at the beginning of this thread have pretty much stayed the same. Go Blue!
You are right … if UM can control the ball with long drives on offense & get pressure without having to blitz (a lot) they will win … if not, they won’t.

You are right … if UM can control the ball with long drives on offense & get pressure without having to blitz (a lot) they will win … if not, they won’t.
I really want to see the "boa constrictor" just swallow up the Washington defense. That defense is not very highly ranked. Then they wilt in the 4th quarter from all the gut punches. But that Washington offense is scary good. Michigan is probably not going to stop it. They will give up yardage. That's ok. Just clamp down once they get near the 20. And Michigan is going to score points on this Washington defense. It can be exposed. Going to be interesting. Go Blue!

I really want to see the "boa constrictor" just swallow up the Washington defense. That defense is not very highly ranked. Then they wilt in the 4th quarter from all the gut punches. But that Washington offense is scary good. Michigan is probably not going to stop it. They will give up yardage. That's ok. Just clamp down once they get near the 20. And Michigan is going to score points on this Washington defense. It can be exposed. Going to be interesting. Go Blue!
Ask yourself, if at any point in the game, Michigan gets down 2 scores, how confident are you they can comeback and win. I’d put it around 30%.

Ask yourself, if at any point in the game, Michigan gets down 2 scores, how confident are you they can comeback and win. I’d put it around 30%.
100%. Because of their experience, tightness, perseverance, their NEVER quit attitude, and their WILL TO WIN. They can throw the rock as well. Plus Washington's defense is average. Michigan is going to put up points. And the defense can get down 2 scores and adjust to slow them down. They are a pretty complete team with excellent coaches.

100%. Because of their experience, tightness, perseverance, their NEVER quit attitude, and their WILL TO WIN. They can throw the rock as well. Plus Washington's defense is average. Michigan is going to put up points. And the defense can get down 2 scores and adjust to slow them down. They are a pretty complete team with excellent coaches.
Can they throw the ball? Haven’t seen it this yr.

Can they throw the ball? Haven’t seen it this yr.
Haven't needed it as much. But I'm sure you remember 2022 at columbus. JJ had a monster game vs. the suckeyes as Michigan walked out with a 22 point win. Up until JJ got hurt in the PSU game, he was in the Heisman conversation. And this Washington team does not have a great defense. They are pathetic vs. the pass. They are below average vs. the run. Not a good recipe to stop Michigan's offense. For Washington to win, Pennix will need to go bonkers. As long as Michigan owns the trenches, they will run and throw it at will vs. Washington's below average defense.

My number 1 concern would be Washington hitting on bombs for Td's or huge plays as a WR getting behind the secondary. Michigan can NOT allow that crap to happen.

Michigan - 34
Washington - 31.

This game is truly a coin flip though, I think Washington is better than Alabama.

Michigan - 34
Washington - 31.

This game is truly a coin flip though, I think Washington is better than Alabama.
Hard to say. 2 very different types of teams. Offensively: edge to Washington over Bama. Defensively: edge to Bama over Washington.

Haven't needed it as much. But I'm sure you remember 2022 at columbus. JJ had a monster game vs. the suckeyes as Michigan walked out with a 22 point win. Up until JJ got hurt in the PSU game, he was in the Heisman conversation. And this Washington team does not have a great defense. They are pathetic vs. the pass. They are below average vs. the run. Not a good recipe to stop Michigan's offense. For Washington to win, Pennix will need to go bonkers. As long as Michigan owns the trenches, they will run and throw it at will vs. Washington's below average defense.
Not sure if Michigan will win in the trenches...Washington's O line is a beast.

Yes we remember 2022. What is Stalion doing on the Michigan sidelined what is in his hand? A take out menu? Did Michigan cheat and have an unfair advantage in that game, among others?
Connor Stalions on sidelines of 2022 Ohio State-Michigan ...10TVhttps://www.10tv.com › article › sports › michigan-sta...

Not sure if Michigan will win in the trenches...Washington's O line is a beast.
That will be a key piece. The good thing is Washington DL and defense can and will be preyed upon by the Michigan OL. Defense wins Championships. I'll take Michigan's defense over Washington's all day long. That is the trenches Michigan will win. The Michigan DL along with Jesse Minter's scheme, will be a challenge to Washington. Michigan doesn't need to win the trenches on defense, they can scheme up that side.

Yes we remember 2022. What is Stalion doing on the Michigan sidelined what is in his hand? A take out menu? Did Michigan cheat and have an unfair advantage in that game, among others?
Connor Stalions on sidelines of 2022 Ohio State-Michigan ...10TVhttps://www.10tv.com › article › sports › michigan-sta...
No. But yes, they did have advantages though. Better Head coach. cryin ryan blows. Better DC. Better OC. Better staff, period. Better schemes. Way more physical. Etc.... Go Blue!