Central Buckeye Conference 2020

Buckeye Valley and Pleasant are two close schools that logistically would make some more sense. However I do not know what leagues that either team play in. BV is D3 and Pleasant was D5
I believe Buckeye Valley was interested in joining before they went to the MSL but I don't believe those discussions went anywhere. They would be too far IMO.

if shawnee keeps shrinking, any chance they leave anyways? i feel like there is too much history between them and the CBC, but i also has said the same thing about greenon and they left for the OHC as well.
I think Shawnee would need to have a number of very lean years across the board to even consider it. There is a lot of history and if they leave, where do they go? Doesn't seem like the OHC would want to expand.

I believe Buckeye Valley was interested in joining before they went to the MSL but I don't believe those discussions went anywhere. They would be too far IMO.

they were and had discussions with the CBC....after being in the MOAC with them, I’ll pass on them. Dirty as dirty can be and consistently under achieve for the size of their district.

I think Shawnee would need to have a number of very lean years across the board to even consider it. There is a lot of history and if they leave, where do they go? Doesn't seem like the OHC would want to expand.
yes you’re right, i was implying if they got smaller and became less competitive in the CBC. i mean if you’re the OHC and you have a school like Shawnee interested, how can you say no? that’s a home run add.

How much longer does Johnny Alder have left in the CBC? They're growing enrollment every year and I swear driving through Plain City to get to work each day, I swear theres a new housing development going up. D2 this year.....now it will take time but inevitably when they go D1 it will probably result in them going somewhere in the OCC?????

How much longer does Johnny Alder have left in the CBC? They're growing enrollment every year and I swear driving through Plain City to get to work each day, I swear theres a new housing development going up. D2 this year.....now it will take time but inevitably when they go D1 it will probably result in them going somewhere in the OCC?????
D3 in football this year.. once they’re D2, they’re out. this topic has been discussed to length, and i think the consensus was 5ish years until they out-grow the CBC. i would love to see them play against the likes of Big Walnut, Dublin Jerome, Marysville, Delaware Hayes, and Canal Winchester.

NW lost a ton and they won’t be very good. i’m not sure NW has open weeks either. Northeastern might be the best game for them next year..

I think that they'll have multiple scheduling changes in their non-conference...I could be mistaken but I don't believe that they're renewing with Milton-Union (week 3). It's been a while but I had heard they were adding Stebbins either week 1 or week 2.

They lose quite a bit, but return the VanNoord kid. As long as he stays healthy and they continue to get him the ball 25-30 times a game like the back half of this year I think they'll be alright in the MR.

I know it passes the time to speculate, but the reality is that no changes will be made for 5-10 years. It's not a a fluid situation year to year.

I don't think Jonathan Alder "outgrowing" the league is eminent. It seems like people have been talking about them ballooning in enrollment for years and needing to go to the OCC, but to this point they're still about a mid-sized D3 for football. I don't think there are going to be any changes for another 7-10 years.

If there is another change at that time, reduction back to 10 schools will probably make more sense IMO than more expansion to keep the traditional 12 school format, with the exception being if an OHC school(s) from within the current league footprint can be added. Buckeye Valley is north of Delaware and is a massive haul from Clark and Champaign counties. Likewise, a school like Bethel that is projected to grow into the size of a potential expansion target over the next decade would be a haul from Logan and Madison counties.

I think that they'll have multiple scheduling changes in their non-conference...I could be mistaken but I don't believe that they're renewing with Milton-Union (week 3). It's been a while but I had heard they were adding Stebbins either week 1 or week 2.

They lose quite a bit, but return the VanNoord kid. As long as he stays healthy and they continue to get him the ball 25-30 times a game like the back half of this year I think they'll be alright in the MR.
i think NW will be mediocre or 6-4. they have week 1 open, and week 2 and 3 are Northeastern and Preble Shawnee.

I don't think Jonathan Alder "outgrowing" the league is eminent. It seems like people have been talking about them ballooning in enrollment for years and needing to go to the OCC, but to this point they're still about a mid-sized D3 for football. I don't think there are going to be any changes for another 7-10 years.

If there is another change at that time, reduction back to 10 schools will probably make more sense IMO than more expansion to keep the traditional 12 school format, with the exception being if an OHC school(s) from within the current league footprint can be added. Buckeye Valley is north of Delaware and is a massive haul from Clark and Champaign counties. Likewise, a school like Bethel that is projected to grow into the size of a potential expansion target over the next decade would be a haul from Logan and Madison counties.
is it possible that the CBC and OHC could both split, then form two new conferences with some minor additions/subtractions?

They are like three kids from being the smallest Div. III football team in the State and by far one of the smallest Div. II basketball. The overall growth from a student prospective isn't as fast as what people think.

I do agree that Jonathan Alder eventually joins the OCC, but it will be awhile.

A LONG while. Again, they aren't as close as what people like to believe. Most of the people moving into the district have very young kids...but there's also a massive housing shortage. In the last 2-3 years there's only been on average 12-17 houses for sale in the district at one time. There's a new subdivision beside the elementary in town that sold out quick, but again, it seems like very young people without kids yet or very young kids.

i think 5-10 years is fair. look how fast a school like Canal Winchester grew? if i had a columbus job, i would live in Plain City in a heartbeat. beautiful place and easy commute. and Der Dutchman near by? i’m in!

From the 2014 to the 2018 enrollment figures by the OHSAA (grades 9-11):
* London: 2014 = 202 boys/199 girls, 2018 = 267 boys/226 girls for an increase of 65 boys/27 girls
* JA: 2014 = 241 boys/245 girls, 2018 = 270 boys/285 girls for an increase of 29 boys/80 girls
*** The rest of the CBC only North Union and Northwestern had an increase in boys, 7 other CBC schools had an increase in girls

People moving to Plain City are either escaping the high property taxes of Dublin, wanting more space for their $$$, wanting a small town/school atmosphere but still 30 minutes or less commute to work/Columbus. If/when Jonathan Alder gets a chance to move to a Columbus centrict league - they will jump at the chance. It's nothing against the CBC, it's a fine league. JA is simply becoming more of a suburb type of community.

i think 5-10 years is fair. look how fast a school like Canal Winchester grew? if i had a columbus job, i would live in Plain City in a heartbeat. beautiful place and easy commute. and Der Dutchman near by? i’m in!

The difference is land was easier to acquire and much cheaper in the Canal area. There are a lot of hurdles to clear not only in the village, but in the surrounding townships. The village has a pretty serious water/sewer issue at hand. Now, there are developers lined up if they can work through a lot of these issues....but in the township, like Jerome Twp, people are starting to force developers to go to the ballot to get approved...and they aren't. There's a bit of a mess around these parts.

From the 2014 to the 2018 enrollment figures by the OHSAA (grades 9-11):
* London: 2014 = 202 boys/199 girls, 2018 = 267 boys/226 girls for an increase of 65 boys/27 girls
* JA: 2014 = 241 boys/245 girls, 2018 = 270 boys/285 girls for an increase of 29 boys/80 girls
*** The rest of the CBC only North Union and Northwestern had an increase in boys, 7 other CBC schools had an increase in girls

People moving to Plain City are either escaping the high property taxes of Dublin, wanting more space for their $$$, wanting a small town/school atmosphere but still 30 minutes or less commute to work/Columbus. If/when Jonathan Alder gets a chance to move to a Columbus centrict league - they will jump at the chance. It's nothing against the CBC, it's a fine league. JA is simply becoming more of a suburb type of community.

People want to escape to PC, but there's no place for them to go. Huge housing shortage...and residential acres, if available, run between $100,000-$150,000 an acre. And that's for raw land. London real estate is way, way cheaper. The tax dollars in the PC area are creeping up as well. Trust me, Alder isn't ready to jump to the OCC or any other league anytime soon.

i think NW will be mediocre or 6-4. they have week 1 open, and week 2 and 3 are Northeastern and Preble Shawnee.

I'd say 4-6 wins with a couple of the losses not being as competitive as this year...I'd say there's a fair chance it will be between them and Graham after North Union for second in their division.

is it possible that the CBC and OHC could both split, then form two new conferences with some minor additions/subtractions?

There are probably a couple different CBC/OHC jumbles that I wouldn't have a problem with, but I'd prefer if the two hold mostly in tact as they are...I'd think that more than likely the Logan county CBC schools would be in bad positions if the CBC split, and I'd prefer not to see them get doinked.

It seems that lately there's been a move away from the super league format, but I think at some point a merger between the two in a 3-4 division format could potentially make sense.

Toby Smith done at Bellefontaine

any clue why color? that article is very vague

Last edited:
Should be a pretty sought after position.

Coaching can be a very selfless profession and when it is time, it is time. The district should thank him for guiding the program and the success he brought.

Whomever lands this position can be coming into a gold mine so I think the interest will be significant.

Many people disagree with me on this on message boards over the years, but I wholeheartedly believe that the leaking of names is a bad practice for HS coaching openings. I believe when held in secrecy a district has a better chance at coaches applying and going all the way through the process but let it leak and one could get cold feet so to speak.

Awhile ago a high profile local coach was up for one of the most prestigious coaching positions not just in Ohio, but the country. His name got out a little bit and when locals would see him around town and mention something about it he came to the realization that he wanted to stay.

I find myself in situations knowing things that I have no reason to. When a big time program locally had their great coach retire I was in the room, actually at the AD's/HC's house, when he and the assistants were going over the applications that they received. There number one priority was keeping it in house. I want to say message boards were in their infancy but still they did not word to get out as many HS coaches do not want it out there. NFL/College football where the stakes are monumental it comes with the territory but in HS when the pay is peanuts per out it is best to keep it under wraps.

This will likely be a hot topic this offseason for the CBC. Is there anyone on staff that is willing, and capable, of taking this position and the program to the next level?

With all the talent they are rumored to have coming up, I find this very surprising. Best of luck to coach Smith.

i wonder if coach smith will go for a job elsewhere or if this is retirement? very successful tenures at WLS and Bellefontaine. wish the best for him, he is most definitely good enough to get another job elsewhere

Holy smokes, didn’t see that coming.
When it is time, it is time.
I imagine the little mid season break he had to take may have had something to do with it.

Doesn't matter really. He did a good job with the Chiefs and now it is time for the next coach to bring them to the next level

i wonder if coach smith will go for a job elsewhere or if this is retirement? very successful tenures at WLS and Bellefontaine. wish the best for him, he is most definitely good enough to get another job elsewhere

He’s not done coaching, just at Bellefontaine