CAVS 2022-2023

Ought to have multiple legitimate options at #14 tomorrow to get a wing with size/length that can be at least a legitimate role player with some that could be a legitimate starter to 3rd scoring option type player.

Based on the closing mocks I would expect 2/3rds Branham, Dieng, and Agbaji to be there, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of Johnny Davis, A.J. Griffin or Shaedon Sharpe slides through the mid-lottery to them due to trades and differing opinions on prospects in the mid-lottery to mid-1st round range. At least one of those three will still be on the board 2-3 picks before the Cavs. Any of those six would be good to great value given fit and where they're picking at.

Ought to have multiple legitimate options at #14 tomorrow to get a wing with size/length that can be at least a legitimate role player with some that could be a legitimate starter to 3rd scoring option type player.

Based on the closing mocks I would expect 2/3rds Branham, Dieng, and Agbaji to be there, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of Johnny Davis, A.J. Griffin or Shaedon Sharpe slides through the mid-lottery to them due to trades and differing opinions on prospects in the mid-lottery to mid-1st round range. At least one of those three will still be on the board 2-3 picks before the Cavs. Any of those six would be good to great value given fit and where they're picking at.
Some chatter around the League about a package of the pick and Sexton in a sign and trade. Not sure if it would be for a player(s) or draft assets. With this year's draft being at best so/so many think there will be a lot of trade attempts but probably not a lot of movement so that usually means just go with the best player available at a particular spot.

High confidence pick in regards to the current roster drafting the 22 y.o. when Griffin and Branham were still there...very ready to play from day 1 and to fit a specific role.

Not sure how high the ceiling is, but he made measured improvement all four years at Kansas. Ought to be at least solid and wouldn't be surprised if he's very good in a few years as a 3&D role player, which is something this current Cavs roster badly needs.

Agbaji was the right pick (I think), even though the OSU fan in me was torn between him and Branham. I got cold sweats when they took Diop in the 2nd, brought back bad memories. Taking Mobley's brother felt a little "too cute" to me, but I'll trust the front office. And I don't really know much about our final pick other than what I read (size and versatile).

Agbaji was the right pick (I think), even though the OSU fan in me was torn between him and Branham. I got cold sweats when they took Diop in the 2nd, brought back bad memories. Taking Mobley's brother felt a little "too cute" to me, but I'll trust the front office. And I don't really know much about our final pick other than what I read (size and versatile).
I agree … was kinda hoping for Liddell on that second pick … not a need, but I think he will be a steal at that pick … much like Draymond Green was back in the day … not that I think he will be as impactful as Green … just a solid productive, versatile, backup … for years in the NBA

I actually think the Cavs have almost too much depth … wouldn’t mind seeing them package several of the middle of the pack (young guys) for one a little older more established pro.

The 2nd round picks IMO fit what they did with the Agbaji pick. They went for a near sure thing with Agbaji because they were looking for a fit for a specific role as opposed to trying to hit a home run with a player that develops over a few years. In the 2nd round they went with long-term projects (probably none of which will ever amount to much except for being traded down the road) due to confidence in their mid-roster to end of the bench guys.

In the second round they drafted three guys that aren't likely to be on the NBA roster for a few years, if ever, short of Mobley maybe having an end of the bench call-up from the Charge due to injuries. The two foreigners will probably stay overseas for the next 2-3 years.

I wonder if they've tried at some point to use those 2nd round picks to move up in this current draft? So now I assume their attention turns to Sexton.

Mobely's brother probably was drafted to be what he is, his big brother. Word is Evan really looks up to him and he pushes him to be Evan's best. The book on big bro is he is almost as good defensively but slow, especially when it comes to getting fouls called against him. Very limited offense in college which means no offense in the NBA. So at best he is a defensive sub that can match up with similar player to give his brother a rest.

Sounds like they were really high on Ousmane Dieng, and to at least some degree competed against OKC (#12) to go up to #11 for him...OKC ultimately parted with three future protected 1st round picks to snag him at #11 while also keeping #12.

Sexton's RFA options took a huge hit IMO with the Pistons falling into Jaeden Ivey at #5 to pair with last year's #1 pick, Cade Cunningham.

With Detroit out of the way the only obvious suitor I could see extend an offer sheet is the Pacers (and only assuming they can jettison Brogdon). The Spurs can have the cap space to make an offer and I think there's some logic there, but they are almost never a bigger money free agency player. I don't see anybody else that could make an offer without a sign-and-trade deal, which hopefully dampens the price and makes retention easier for the Cavs.

Sexton's RFA options took a huge hit IMO with the Pistons falling into Jaeden Ivey at #5 to pair with last year's #1 pick, Cade Cunningham.

With Detroit out of the way the only obvious suitor I could see extend an offer sheet is the Pacers (and only assuming they can jettison Brogdon). The Spurs can have the cap space to make an offer and I think there's some logic there, but they are almost never a bigger money free agency player. I don't see anybody else that could make an offer without a sign-and-trade deal, which hopefully dampens the price and makes retention easier for the Cavs.
Some national talking heads think the Cavs should part ways w/ Sexton. He is above average offensively but very limited defensively which makes him a liability in the playoffs. Also the type of $s he will be looking for will hamper their ability to add pieces if they reach their potential this year. Bottom line is the shedding of the salary is worth more than the player, even if below market.

Also what do they do with Okoro? This is a very important year for the player and the expectation is he buckles down and has a decent season but where does he fit? I actually think his defense is overrated, he gets too many fouls when trying to cover faster players and just doesn't seem to have the length needed when posted up. LeVert looked better to me defensively in the small sample size as a Cav and he was advertised as limited on that end of the court.

Some national talking heads think the Cavs should part ways w/ Sexton. He is above average offensively but very limited defensively which makes him a liability in the playoffs. Also the type of $s he will be looking for will hamper their ability to add pieces if they reach their potential this year. Bottom line is the shedding of the salary is worth more than the player, even if below market.

Also what do they do with Okoro? This is a very important year for the player and the expectation is he buckles down and has a decent season but where does he fit? I actually think his defense is overrated, he gets too many fouls when trying to cover faster players and just doesn't seem to have the length needed when posted up. LeVert looked better to me defensively in the small sample size as a Cav and he was advertised as limited on that end of the court.
Probably ultimately depends on the price with Sexton, which I think will have a wide range of variance depending on what team and that specific team's valuation process. I assume he wants in the range of $20 million, which would normally sound reasonable for the 8th-10th best free agent and possibly the best scorer after the top tier of free agents. I saw yesterday Hollinger (big analytics guy) had him valued more in the range of $11 million due to the poor defense, limited playmaking, and solid but not off the charts true shooting. It's certainly a tough spot looking ahead, as next year they finally get Love off the books but Garland will be in this position and LeVert will become an unrestricted free agent.

I also think Okoro's defense is overrated...on top of being fairly limited offensively. This is a big year for him. He would seem to be the most likely IMO to get traded out of that core group if they make another move.

Cavs officially extend a qualifying offer to Sexton, making him an RFA.
It will be interesting to see who offers him some decent $s. My guess is it will be some bottom dwelling franchise in need of scoring and the guy may become one of those NBA players that loads up on cash as the best player on a lousy team.

It will be interesting to see who offers him some decent $s. My guess is it will be some bottom dwelling franchise in need of scoring and the guy may become one of those NBA players that loads up on cash as the best player on a lousy team.
I'm curious to see what happens...this is shaping up to be a lousy free agent market IMO. There are only a handful of teams at the moment that can get themselves under the salary cap without making some salary dump trades. Only two of those five (Pacers and Spurs) I could see being interested in him, and the Spurs on paper at the moment could only go up to about $18.5 million in year 1.

Unless the Pacers severely outbid themselves after selling off a player or two, IMO he'll be back unless there's a sign-and-trade deal that's found over the next 5-7 days. I would consider the Pacers to be by far the most likely destination if he's gone...on paper they need to spend roughly $22 million to reach the salary floor, and that's before they assumingly dump somebody like Malcolm Brogdon. They'll either have to spend big on an RFA or spend on a few shorter term mid-level deals.

Last edited:
I would cross the Spurs off the potential list of Sexton suitors...they just traded their best player to Atlanta for an expiring contract and three first round picks. They appear to be going in the tank for next year's draft.

Hopefully the Sexton situation starts to resolve itself pretty quickly. He's probably the 3rd best legitimately available free agent now (I don't count Harden), and one of the two guys I'd have ahead of him (Bridges) just committed a felony.

Seeing some rumbles about the Mavs being interested after losing Brunson.

Hopefully the Sexton situation starts to resolve itself pretty quickly. He's probably the 3rd best legitimately available free agent now (I don't count Harden), and one of the two guys I'd have ahead of him (Bridges) just committed a felony.

The Pacers moved Brogdon to the Celtics a few moments ago. I think this will heat up a lot over the weekend, and I wouldn't be surprised if Indiana makes an offer soon.

I like today for the Cavs. Rubio and Lopez give them a nice veteran presence and can contribute worthwhile minutes. They sure could have used Lopes late last season when Allen went down.

No RFA offers at this point. I'm starting to believe he really doesn't have a market due to many teams having limited cap space as well as many likely having him valued at a number where there's zero reason to discuss sign-and-trade deals as Cleveland would just match.

If he's hung up on getting an offer paying $20 million plus I could see him eventually just playing on the qualifying offer this year, i.e. "betting on himself", and becoming an unrestricted free agent next summer. Judging by what's been out there I think the Cavs likely have something in the neighborhood of 3 years and $45-50 million on the table...and that yearly average is an overpay relative to his market coming off a major injury in a year where he played a limited number of games and the team was significantly better than the year before when he stuffed scoring stats.