Canton McKinley football program

coming from all the fans that are saying there is no solution - well what did the loons do to avoid what they are saying is happening in Canton

go open enrollment - get a booster club that will help attract and gain "transfers" with "gifts" when needed - obtain an administration that will excuse and cover up any and all issues that occur. Yes I am hearing loudly what you are all saying. Without your recruits is worse than most schools in area. Not like the "transfers" are coming there because your academics are so powerful.

get a clue you guys are so full of yourselves, but I get it - you are trying to beat the privates so you are adopting their ways in order to level the playing field. Who can blame you if you can get away with it.
I, as a tras....er, I mean a Massillon fan am more concerned with the safety of my family, my friends and myself when Massillon goes to Canton, or....to a lesser extent....when Canton visits Massillon. I for one would hope that instead of worrying about how you're going to fix the football program, you worry about how you're going to fix the city. You might find that the latter would play a huge role in fixing the former.

Last edited:
In hindsight too bad they could not keep Wattley. Sorry if I misspelled it. No offense to Hall who bleeds red and black and seems like a great guy too. To answer the question yes I believe a top end coach would make a big difference. McKinley has a large enrollment and talent in the building. As far as community buy in, I don't know how to turn that around. Attendance is terrible for a one program city of that size and they just don't seem that interested anymore. What happened to that infrastructure? Not city, I mean program.

coming from all the fans that are saying there is no solution - well what did the loons do to avoid what they are saying is happening in Canton

go open enrollment - get a booster club that will help attract and gain "transfers" with "gifts" when needed - obtain an administration that will excuse and cover up any and all issues that occur. Yes I am hearing loudly what you are all saying. Without your recruits is worse than most schools in area. Not like the "transfers" are coming there because your academics are so powerful.

get a clue you guys are so full of yourselves, but I get it - you are trying to beat the privates so you are adopting their ways in order to level the playing field. Who can blame you if you can get away with it.
I think you're very much discounting economics, & crime/culture here. Canton could try to replicate everything Massillon has and still not succeed because the city of Canton is a black hole that devours so many of its young men.

here we are on yet another McK thread where it is safe to say no fan of McK wants or cares to hear from any fan of Mass

which is fair to say McK posters aren't going to be welcomed on the sheltered thread. So why do you loons get so butt hurt when you come in here and get disrespected. the copley running back sucker punched a kid - 12 stood his ground when the trash talking mass kid wanted to confront him. we will all see what we want to see.

you guys are fake anyhow - fake tough guys threatening on a chat site HA! Fake players that end up leaving and their parents wag their tongues. Sorry I am not giving names. But I know what I listened to a mama sit and say to a whole table of us about what she was given and what her son was given while he played there and was a starter for multiple years. I don't have to prove anything - most people in the county knows what is going on and we keep it moving.

Live your lie then - good for you, keep the money flowing and maybe just maybe this year you have bought enough players to finally get you a real ring and not a paper title. but until then - why come on here? cuz you guys are humungous weirdos and your team has a tradition of yanking pants off other dudes which is also a yearly thing that is just accepted over your way. bet you will deny that too but you guys better ask some of your guys recently graduated before you protest to loudly. hey of course you going to deny and argue here with me, but its true and it is weird
:oops: If you're on meds, change them. If you're not, start.

They don't care as long as they win. Wait till next spring when they all brag about some move in like they always do then turn around and complain about Hoban or some other private school. That's who they are.

They don't care as long as they win. Wait till next spring when they all brag about some move in like they always do then turn around and complain about Hoban or some other private school. That's who they are.
As usual, you have it all wrong. Massillon fans only point out the differences in how public schools and parochial schools are permitted to receive transfers. A public school has to almost jump through hoops to do it, whereas parochial do not.

As an example, 2 of the last 3 seasons, Massillon has had kids miss a week while their transfers were approved, even though the kids live in Massillon. In both scenarios, everything was deemed legal and fine.

Hopefully I made it clear enough for you.

I wish the new mayor of Canton the best of luck in turning things around over there. Interesting to see that he doesn’t live in canton city school district any longer. All the good people who once lived in the district/city have either died or moved out.

I wish the new mayor of Canton the best of luck in turning things around over there. Interesting to see that he doesn’t live in canton city school district any longer. All the good people who once lived in the district/city have either died or moved out.
If you are speaking of Bill Sherer, I think he will do a good job. Has to be better than the current guy who makes a fool of himself when ever he is in public.

I’m a pretty good person and I have incredible kids. I’m fairly certain I’m not dead yet, and have no intention of moving. The debate on yappi is fascinating to watch. It’s children playing a game with a ball.

Well then if you are going to complain about Massillon then complain about Hoban, Ed, Iggy, Moe, TCC, LaSalle, Winton Woods, etc, and why more don't choose to attend CCSD. McKinley used to attract better talent than they do now. Basketball too. Not our fault.

Better yet wait till next October when your team comes to PBTS and leaves with the 9th beating in a row !!

Does anyone know, or have any idea what happened to the guest soloist for the " National Anthem "
That to me looked like the start of a bad day for the pups.

Last edited:
McKinley is in the situation that a lot of city schools are in and to some extent suburban schools are in....look at the inner city schools of Cleveland...3 teams that used to be D 1..Collinwood, East Tech, and JFK are now D 3 didn't play enough games to be rated to qualify for the playoffs. East Cleveland Shaw once a good D 1, then a strong D 2, is now D 4...went 0 and 9 and scored 12 points all season. Euclid was always consistent, has great facilities and goes 1 and 9, makes the playoffs at 1 and 9 and just suspended their coach. Look at Akron...Garfield was a power, now a weak D 2 that barely beat Akron Springfield, Buchtel is D 4 that won numerous D 2 state titles. The Columbus City league is nothing anymore...Columbus Eastmore opted out of the playoffs...Eastmore used to be good, they closed Brookhaven who won a D 2 state championship. Read thru Yappi and you will find out that there were numerous fights in their week 10 games...lets go to Colerain...0 and 10 this year...9 and 21 last three years.

McKinley dressed 60 players this year against Lake, 45 dressed last year...this is the 11th largest high school in the state for boys top three grades, and only dress 60 this year. What is happening at McKinley has happened at similar schools in the last 10 years. Loss of jobs, population moving south, aging population, kids not wanting to play sports let alone go to school has caught up with Canton. It is not a total inner city issue...look at Stark County...The Fed is not like it used to be, in 1991 Lake had 519 boys in the top 3 grades..now has 430...and if the levy doesn't pass this election I have no idea what will happen to the football program because of the increase in pay to play fees, Louisville is no where like it was...in an earlier post Minerva is 3 and 86 since 2014...they were 8 and 3 in 2010, 12 and 1 in 2011. McKinley is dealing with what the whole Northeast Ohio area is dealing with...and then the family issues on top of it...Lake was the homecoming game for Mck...they introduced their court at halftime with their parent...actually their mom...am pretty sure not one father was present. This is an issue that has been happening for sometime...I really don't know how one school can change a situation like this.

Last edited:
I‘ll offer that I sincerely respect both the McKinley and Massillon programs. I admire and at times envy the pre-game atmosphere at Massillon. I have been many times and I feel the PBTS atmosphere is the only one in the state that rivals and exceeds that of Steubenville’s Harding Stadium. Massillon‘s scheduling is also continuously highly respectable, care less about any jealous haters opinions.

No sympathy for “communities“ going down hill such as reportedly in Canton. Steubenville knows that as well as any City in Ohio for decades. With similar community challenges, how has Steubenville sustained consistency and competiveness? Consistent, long term, quality coaching staff that LOVE the community and the school system as well as undying support and loyalty and financial backing of an extremely aging (aged and dying) local fan base.

There you have it Canton…IF your coach LOVES the school system and the community, give him a long leash and let’s hope and suspect he will turn it around and you will soon be regularly competitive with the Tigers and all Stark Co. schools and state Division 1 programs. Give him reasons to stay.

Best wishes in the playoffs to both programs. Even with all the haters of our three programs, many, many, many would enjoy the traditional privates going down and Glenville to be humbled.

I‘ll offer that I sincerely respect both the McKinley and Massillon programs. I admire and at times envy the pre-game atmosphere at Massillon. I have been many times and I feel the PBTS atmosphere is the only one in the state that rivals and exceeds that of Steubenville’s Harding Stadium. Massillon‘s scheduling is also continuously highly respectable, care less about any jealous haters opinions.

No sympathy for “communities“ going down hill such as reportedly in Canton. Steubenville knows that as well as any City in Ohio for decades. With similar community challenges, how has Steubenville sustained consistency and competiveness? Consistent, long term, quality coaching staff that LOVE the community and the school system as well as undying support and loyalty and financial backing of an extremely aging (aged and dying) local fan base.

There you have it Canton…IF your coach LOVES the school system and the community, give him a long leash and let’s hope and suspect he will turn it around and you will soon be regularly competitive with the Tigers and all Stark Co. schools and state Division 1 programs. Give him reasons to stay.

Best wishes in the playoffs to both programs. Even with all the haters of our three programs, many, many, many would enjoy the traditional privates going down and Glenville to be humbled.
😂😂😂

Bad programs think they can hire their way out of a problem. That may be true in one offs, but the stability of a staff does wonders for a program. Bros been there 2 years. He's a McKinley guy... that matters, believe it or not. He's played football at high levels, he's been coached at high levels. That means he's more qualified than 99% of people applying for high school jobs. Are there issues to fix? Yeah, obviously. Should that have been overhauled in 2 years? Of course not. McKinley has a bad habit of running out good coaches. They could use some stability.

Bad programs think they can hire their way out of a problem. That may be true in one offs, but the stability of a staff does wonders for a program. Bros been there 2 years. He's a McKinley guy... that matters, believe it or not. He's played football at high levels, he's been coached at high levels. That means he's more qualified than 99% of people applying for high school jobs. Are there issues to fix? Yeah, obviously. Should that have been overhauled in 2 years? Of course not. McKinley has a bad habit of running out good coaches. They could use some stability.
This is Hall’s 3rd year.,

As usual, you have it all wrong. Massillon fans only point out the differences in how public schools and parochial schools are permitted to receive transfers. A public school has to almost jump through hoops to do it, whereas parochial do not.

As an example, 2 of the last 3 seasons, Massillon has had kids miss a week while their transfers were approved, even though the kids live in Massillon. In both scenarios, everything was deemed legal and fine.

Hopefully I made it clear enough for you.
This is actually the exact opposite. Public schools get the benefit of the doubt when there are transfers. Parochial schools have way more hoops to jump through to prove a student has moved their home, license, voter registration, into a new district to gain eligibility.

This is actually the exact opposite. Public schools get the benefit of the doubt when there are transfers. Parochial schools have way more hoops to jump through to prove a student has moved their home, license, voter registration, into a new district to gain eligibility.
Does that “benefit of the doubt” include suspending kids for a week or 2 while the OHSAA does an “investigation” during the season ??…Even though the kid moved to that town 6 months ago 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Does that “benefit of the doubt” include suspending kids for a week or 2 while the OHSAA does an “investigation” during the season ??…Even though the kid moved to that town 6 months ago 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
I said public schools typically get the benefit of the doubt. Most schools aren’t state wide open enrollment so it seems obvious that a family must prove they moved to the district. That’s why the investigation happens