Caitlin Clark

That thing she does with her left arm when driving…walling off a larger defender…she has played thousands of games/hours, with the ball primarily in her hands, to be that sophisticated…

I wonder if a ref would dare call her for an offensive foul…

View attachment 40361

Difference between the men's game and the women's, I was able to find the entire game unedited free on youtube. Boston tried exactly that same arm bar on Clark as she was driving by and Clark just drove right through it.

Wasn't particularly impressed by Boston (though credit on the post game presser). SC did a decent job defending Clark on the perimeter, the 3pt % was meh but SCs middle can't move. It wasn't just Clark that was able to drive straight to the basket. Now Clark maybe was the only one that could pass so cleanly in, and get Iowa's bigs such nice shots.

And if a defending team has no issue leaving your guards 10 feet of space to shoot, you should have known long ago you had a problem and fixed it. It's one thing to give another team space to prove they can make the 3pt. Iowa said prove you can make the mid-range. That's an embarrassing weakness in coaching. Staley COY? No. Recruiter of the year? Yeah probably. Decent coach of the year? Definitely. Mulkey or Bluder probably.

Last edited:
Difference between the men's game and the women's, I was able to find the entire game unedited free on youtube. Boston tried exactly that same arm bar on Clark as she was driving by and Clark just drove right through it.

Wasn't particularly impressed by Boston (though credit on the post game presser). SC did a decent job defending Clark on the perimeter, the 3pt % was meh but SCs middle can't move. It wasn't just Clark that was able to drive straight to the basket. Now Clark maybe was the only one that could pass so cleanly in, and get Iowa's bigs such nice shots.

And if a defending team has no issue leaving your guards 10 feet of space to shoot, you should have known long ago you had a problem and fixed it. It's one thing to give another team space to prove they can make the 3pt. Iowa said prove you can make the mid-range. That's an embarrassing weakness in coaching. Staley COY? No. Recruiter of the year? Yeah probably. Decent coach of the year? Definitely. Mulkey or Bluder probably.
In Staley’s defense…they were undefeated…actually, it‘s difficult to learn and adjust when you win them all. I DO think the arrogance that goes with winning all the time was on display as it wasn’t till the 2nd half that Staley greenlighted the open 3’s from Johnson...or really any organized attempt to shoot beyond 12 feet. But, her theory…we’re way bigger than you and we‘re going inside...made sense. She should have adjusted sooner…they would get lots of O rebounds anyway.

They also didn’t seem to have any TEAM defensive concepts to deny Clark the ball in the last few minutes.

Last edited:
I watched a little and I get a Larry Bird vibe from Clark and a ‘80s Georgetown vibe from South Carolina including the coach doubling down on the R card when dealing with press.

I watched a little and I get a Larry Bird vibe from Clark and a ‘80s Georgetown vibe from South Carolina including the coach doubling down on the R card when dealing with press.
Well, if you’re old enough…We all remember the whole race/villain thing going with John Thompson, Ewing and that lefty bald-headed power forward (Michael Graham). Thompson played up the “scary” thing. I suspect Staley does as well.

The race aspect of this game was all there “in black and white”. I’m glad they didn’t talk about it. And Iowa, while physically much smaller, never looked intimidated by the size difference…or the color stuff.

Last edited:
I don't see any race card there (and after her response to the Utah incident, I am not a Staley fan). If anything, she's calling out others that have played it to try and detract from USC's success. I will defer if she threw in "monkey" not because it was said but because she was trying to bring race into it. But who can prove that and who would doubt it wasn't said?

I do find a couple faults with her and Boston's perspective. They do play "street ball." There's no organized team defense compared to other WOMEN's teams and not a lot of organized team offense. They relay mostly on physical and athletic mismatches, on winning the game at the recruiting level. Also, Staley is calling out UConn's comments about USC being too physical and refs not calling it but now Boston is calling out Iowa for being too physical and implying refs not calling it. I saw plenty of hard fouls by USC, Boston in particular that weren't called. She got lucky she was still on the floor. From MY perspective, if Staley had kept in Boston's more effective and harder to match-up back-ups, USC would have won. Iowa had the beef to match Boston. They did not have the height to match Boston's back-ups. USC came roaring back from 10 down on two occasions using the back-ups.

As for the comment on Staley changing tactics, she didn't. USC's players were given the 3 pt option from beginning of the game. They were just tanking them. The Fr, normally 20% on 3pt hit a few in the second half. 🤷

I don't see any race card there (and after her response to the Utah incident, I am not a Staley fan). If anything, she's calling out others that have played it to try and detract from USC's success. I will defer if she threw in "monkey" not because it was said but because she was trying to bring race into it. But who can prove that and who would doubt it wasn't said?

I do find a couple faults with her and Boston's perspective. They do play "street ball." There's no organized team defense compared to other WOMEN's teams and not a lot of organized team offense. They relay mostly on physical and athletic mismatches, on winning the game at the recruiting level. Also, Staley is calling out UConn's comments about USC being too physical and refs not calling it but now Boston is calling out Iowa for being too physical and implying refs not calling it. I saw plenty of hard fouls by USC, Boston in particular that weren't called. She got lucky she was still on the floor. From MY perspective, if Staley had kept in Boston's more effective and harder to match-up back-ups, USC would have won. Iowa had the beef to match Boston. They did not have the height to match Boston's back-ups. USC came roaring back from 10 down on two occasions using the back-ups.

As for the comment on Staley changing tactics, she didn't. USC's players were given the 3 pt option from beginning of the game. They were just tanking them. The Fr, normally 20% on 3pt hit a few in the second half. 🤷
Always be prepared for the chance you will lose. Have that gracious response in your other pocket.

Last edited:
Always be prepared for the chance you will lose. Have that gracious response in your other pocket.
They all, coach and players were very gracious and complimentary in the post game presser. They answered the questions tossed at them. The uneasy are going to see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.

Stacy called out the press, a particular member of it to protect her players. She basically said, I know where a body is buried. Do it again and I start digging. She clearly implied there were plenty of witnesses. She could have took care of business right then and there and been a big distraction to the championship game. She didn't. Hers was a very heady response. And it was the right time. Doing it before the game would have distracted from the game. Waiting until after the final, there would not have been the same opportunity. Again, I'm no fan after her canceling the Utah game based only on an accusation but in this, f-ed in the head people are turning the words into what they wanted to hear, not what was said. f those people.

The problem…

At least in the NYPost story, the only attributed comments come from the coaches of Iowa and UConn. Don‘t know exactly what Auriemma said, but the Iowa coach compared SC’s rebounding toughness to being in a bar fight. Is that OK to say about women? It would be fine with men. Seems to me that the Iowa coach’s comments were basically a compliment. Perhaps on the line of inappropriate…

Then…the rest of it. If you do that, I think you have to “name names”. Otherwise, it comes across as acting out in the face of a crushing defeat. I don’t even know if I believe Staley when she hints at this stuff…if someone in the media called your nearly all black team “monkeys“, the person needs to be identified. That’s the problem with the hinting. I thought some very obvious racial narratives were avoided in that game by the media and all concerned. I appreciate that Staley loves and cares about her players. They were bigger, stronger, AND sportsmanlike. I think her comments do a disservice to her team’s otherwise handling a tough defeat with class.

And a little resentment, being undefeated, and the majority of the attention going to Clark, is completely understandable…

Last edited:
It’s women’s basketball. Everyone will forget what was said in a week
A month ago, if someone was asked to name a college basketball player (man or woman), my suspicion is that the most frequently named player would have been Caitlin Clark. Today? No doubt it would be Clark.

My youngest daughter was a D1 athlete (different sport). I don’t follow college basketball that closely..womens not at all. I did know SC was pretty good and I have heard of Staley but not Clark until this week. I think this is true of the majority, both men and women.

My youngest daughter was a D1 athlete (different sport). I don’t follow college basketball that closely..womens not at all. I did know SC was pretty good and I have heard of Staley but not Clark until this week. I think this is true of the majority, both men and women.
Anyone that looked at the front page of any major sports site or tv program would have seen Clark at least once, based on her shooting from near half-court. How much they paid attention? Well, not everyone sees the speed limit signs. Depends what registers as important I suppose.

They all, coach and players were very gracious and complimentary in the post game presser. They answered the questions tossed at them. The uneasy are going to see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.

Stacy called out the press, a particular member of it to protect her players. She basically said, I know where a body is buried. Do it again and I start digging. She clearly implied there were plenty of witnesses. She could have took care of business right then and there and been a big distraction to the championship game. She didn't. Hers was a very heady response. And it was the right time. Doing it before the game would have distracted from the game. Waiting until after the final, there would not have been the same opportunity. Again, I'm no fan after her canceling the Utah game based only on an accusation but in this, f-ed in the head people are turning the words into what they wanted to hear, not what was said. f those people.
My bad for listening to only the first part of the presser.

LSU appears to be a better team than South Carolina because they can actually shoot. Iowa gonna need to actually defend and rebound if they want to win. Can’t just pack it in and let people shoot freely this time.

Last edited:
Most important women's college basketball game, perhaps ever, in terms of drawing casual interest...and a trio of female refs call 20-25 fouls in the first half including multiple questionable offensive fouls on the best player on the floor lol.

Despite there being a ton of points scored, there is next to no flow to this game.

Most important women's college basketball game, perhaps ever, in terms of drawing casual interest...and a trio of female refs call 20-25 fouls in the first half including multiple questionable offensive fouls on the best player on the floor lol.

Despite there being a ton of points scored, there is next to no flow to this game.
This.

The T at the end of the 3rd was horrible. And to add insult Mulvaney has been all over the court yet not even a warning. Seems like this crew is cowering in the moment.

This.

The T at the end of the 3rd was horrible. And to add insult Mulvaney has been all over the court yet not even a warning. Seems like this crew is cowering in the moment.
Kim Mulkey has been verbally abrasive and out of the coach's box the entire game. Shortly after the ball roll technical Mulkey was on the playing court and bumped into the ref, who pushed her away and ignored her. To some degree, it seems to me to be a combo of the moment being too big for the crew in conjunction with being intimidated by Mulkey.