Bowe Bergdahl released

So it's ok for MU to say that he's happy he's coming home, but not ok for other posters?

Where did I say or even imply that?

Just want to make sure I know the rules before I jump into this thread.

My issue with what I quoted is that the poster took something completely out of context. He quoted a small snippet of a post and left out the rest of it, which completely changed the message of the post.

The US also has other traditions to deal with what happened here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Slovik

Do you think we would have traded FIVE top Nazi commanders for Slovik???

BTW, the most recent reports are now stating that 14 American soldier's lost their lives trying to "recover" this guy.

I was thinking the same thing. This would be like trading Himmler, Eichmann, Goebbels, Goering, and Kaltenbrunner for Slovik. While I agree that we do what we can to get back our soldiers - even ones we believe to be deserters - the price paid for this one low level soldier is ridiculously high.

There is also the little legal formality that Obama is required by law to notify Congress at least 30 days before any prisoner of Guantanamo is released or transferred. Now the Obama Administration is claiming that this needed to be done NOW for the health of Bergdahl, but according to the Newsweek article (which seemed very sympathetic to the Obama Administration's decision in this case) the negotiations for the release of these five prisoners started back in 2012.

Where did I say or even imply that?

My issue with what I quoted is that the poster took something completely out of context. He quoted a small snippet of a post and left out the rest of it, which completely changed the message of the post.

Yeah that poster is all serious business all the time. Nice response. You really got 'em!!!1!

Yeah that poster is all serious business all the time.

I really wouldn't know, since, according to what I can see, that poster just joined the board about three weeks ago and had a total of 18 posts before the one I responded to - none of which I had seen before.

Nice response. You really got 'em!!!1!

It was simply an honest question. Not really trying to "get" anyone.

You seem upset by my question. Is this one of your alters or something?

Best part of this thread is that fact that two people have managed to bring Donald Sterling into it :laugh:

oh and Rich. That first gif was gold

Oh good lord! I can't be happy a soldier, a POW no less, came home safely?

You're not a POW when you pick up a compass and some water and go find THEM. That's called treason. Why would we want him back? Snow den betrayed us too and Kerry is telling him to man up. Let's see what they say to this complete waste of cells.

I think the bigger evil than the desertion is that he didn't leave a note saying he was deserting, don't come get me. Then no one else dies. Given the history, he should have had an inkling they were going to try and "rescue" him and that meant SOMEONE on whichever side he was on, was going to die because of him.

Just admit it ep, you had no idea what you were saying on post #2. You just thought it was the right thing to say ...PC and all. Now you are looking pretty dumb and you won't back off of your post.

Just admit it ep, you had no idea what you were saying on post #2. You just thought it was the right thing to say ...PC and all. Now you are looking pretty dumb and you won't back off of your post.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step...

I called jones a horrible human being and I was being facetious, as my point was if you don't want to get in trouble with the nfl, don't do anything that would portray the nfl in a bad light. Now, with Berdaghl, if the allegations have merit, he should be investigated and punished if appropriate. However, I'm still happy an American pow was released and on his way home.

They have the emails. His platoon Brethren all say he skipped out. What's to investigate?

I know... maybe Obbie will have him investigate himself.

It's disgusting how some people will act as if they have known Sterling his entire life... intimately... and condemn him completely. But this loser abandons his Nation... no, turns against it... and abandons his Brothers and creed with very explicit email proof and witness testimony... and some of these guys act like he's a returning hero and giving it a "wait and see" attitude. Very one sided with the latitude there boys.

You still sound stupid.

However, Bergdahl is deplorable and I disagree with the swap.

Interesting reporting today from Chuck Todd, NBC White House correspondent. He reports that the White House is totally surprised by the reaction to Bergdahl. He says that while the White House expected some blowback out the release of the Gitmo prisoners, they were expecting euphoria from members of the armed services because one of their own had been returned. I wonder if any of the White House inner circle ever served in the military. I'm eagerly awaiting the reaction of veterans groups, the American Legion and the VFW, to this fiasco.

Interesting reporting today from Chuck Todd, NBC White House correspondent. He reports that the White House is totally surprised by the reaction to Bergdahl. He says that while the White House expected some blowback out the release of the Gitmo prisoners, they were expecting euphoria from members of the armed services because one of their own had been returned. I wonder if any of the White House inner circle ever served in the military. I'm eagerly awaiting the reaction of veterans groups, the American Legion and the VFW, to this fiasco.

You may be waiting a while. I would be surprised if either organization make a statement and take a side at this point. They will be reserved until they see if the Army brings charges or they let him go. That doesn't mean members of the VA or American Legion won't say anything, but I doubt the Commander Will at this point.

Most veterans take a very dim view of deserters. It doesn't surprise me, from his insulated perch in the leftosphere, that Obama doesn't understand this at all. For him (like many leftists), a deserter isn't really a big deal, it's just another a form of being "progressive", and certainly represents another ballot thrown for Democrats in elections.

Most veterans take a very dim view of deserters. It doesn't surprise me, from his insulated perch in the leftosphere, that Obama doesn't understand this at all. For him (like many leftists), a deserter isn't really a big deal, it's just another a form of being "progressive", and certainly represents another ballot thrown for Democrats in elections.

Every veteran I know... every single one... are disgusted by this.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bowe-bergdahl-taliban-talks-evan-buetow-2014-6

Hmmm, why would he want to talk to the Taliban? Was he just trying to make new friends to share ghost stories with around the campfire or....

Given his emails telling his wackjob father how much he hated American and American soldiers, I can't think of any reason but the obvious.

I don't think anyone is disputing he should face court martial proceedings for desertion of post and possibly treason.