Bob Dylan

Auggie

Has his first Billboard #1 tune with "Murder Most Foul". It is not #1 on the Hot 100 chart but the Rock Digital Sales chart is still a heck of an accomplishment. Coming in at almost 17 minutes with pages of lyrics it is not your typical tune>

What is even more surprising is that some radio stations are starting to play this thing.

Last edited:

Dylan drops a new album today and many are considering one of the best new releases of the year. I am going to have to give this one a deep listen...

He’s done some good stuff and some that’s hard to listen to.
Thought the same thing that he’d met his maker.

I saw Dylan, The Dead, and Tom Petty at the Rubber Bowl in July 1986. Two hits of microdot. Ended up with me losing my shoes, shirt, socks, hat....walked out of there with just my shorts on.

How was the concert?

It was a trip! ;)

No, I don’t remember much to be honest lol. I remember losing my group about 3/4 of the way through and not caring. I remember a streaker being chased passed me by security with a lot of action and the crowd going crazy, purposely getting in their way. I went for the experience only as I was more of a Zeppelin/Skynyrd/Beatles/Floyd kid at 16. Tripping wasn’t my thing either then or ever, but it should be tried by all in the right setting...and that was the right setting. The Dead has a couple handfuls of songs I like still to this day. Same with Dylan and Petty. Even sober that wouldn’t have been in my top 25 concerts list, music wise only.

I get Dylan as many other folks do, he is considered the most important song writer in the 2nd half of the 20th century and he is still pushing out great new tunes in the 21st century. Yes his voice is not silky smooth but if you are willing to accept this along with the unique phrasing he does provide an interesting take on his songs. But again Dylan is about the tunes, he was the guy who laid down the road map for rock songs to be more than just simple jingles about teen love or having a good time. He also made it possible to change directions mid career, damn the fans and the record company. Dylan's performance at the Newport folk festival in 1965 is arguably the turning point of modern music. He showed it was OK to merge the raw energy of rock with the deeper meaning lyrics of folk. The folkies booed Dylan off the stage, the rock guys like John Lennon and Brian Wilson loved this and took pop music in a direction.

Is this performance the most polished and radio friendly? The short answer is no but the overtly political lyrics and Robbie Robertson's aggressive guitar fills sound nothing like what was happening at that time.

So Bob sold his entire catalog to Universal music for $300 million:

I guess Bob is cleaning up his estate so there are no Prince like issues when he dies. Only concern is when we start to hear these iconic tunes used to sell a car or financial services.