Bishop Sycamore Podcast

hammer89

The podcast “Cheat!”, which covers scandals all over the world, did an episode on Bishop Sycamore. It just came out today. This is the first in a good chunk of Bishop Sycamore content that’s coming out this year.

There were some inaccuracies in that podcast but one thing I learned, which I always suspected, was that the players were too embarrassed to tell the folks back home about their dire situation and that they'd been scammed.

Until someone is held accountable, and I would include head coaches and athletic directors of the opposing teams, no one will ever get to the bottom of this. Any coverage of COF Academy / Bishop Sycamore that doesn't include the words CHOLI scheme, mania, sociopathy, and Messiah complex is missing the real story.

There were some inaccuracies in that podcast but one thing I learned, which I always suspected, was that the players were too embarrassed to tell the folks back home about their dire situation and that they'd been scammed.

Until someone is held accountable, and I would include head coaches and athletic directors of the opposing teams, no one will ever get to the bottom of this. Any coverage of COF Academy / Bishop Sycamore that doesn't include the words CHOLI scheme, mania, sociopathy, and Messiah complex is missing the real story.
If you want to see what “the bottom of this” looks like, check out Friday Night Lies, now on sale!

I can't wait to listen to this. I didn't know there was a book about it either. Amazon here I come. Heard a rumor mill that some of the same Bishop Sycamore people were involved in the whole Braxton Miller Academy thing that was going in near Springfield. Not sure if it's true, just the rumor mill.

What I dont understand is this- how did they schedule games? Listening to the podcast , schools who played them knew and didnt care. Ok, play the game and get your $ for hosting a home game. What if a young kid is hurt playing against a bunch of 20 year olds. Yes, I know the Sycamore team sucked football wise, but still.

I can't wait to listen to this. I didn't know there was a book about it either. Amazon here I come. Heard a rumor mill that some of the same Bishop Sycamore people were involved in the whole Braxton Miller Academy thing that was going in near Springfield. Not sure if it's true, just the rumor mill.
When's the tell all book going to come out, about Woody Hayes assaulting a Clemson player in a bowl game, and nothing was done for retribution, until MUCH later. ;)

What I dont understand is this- how did they schedule games? Listening to the podcast , schools who played them knew and didnt care. Ok, play the game and get your $ for hosting a home game. What if a young kid is hurt playing against a bunch of 20 year olds. Yes, I know the Sycamore team sucked football wise, but still.
Not "what if", were. Kids were injured.

Sports writers and investigative journalists from the Columbus Dispatch and the Cleveland Plain Dealer have interviewed Chuck Kyle, Tom Lombardo and Pepper Johnson extensively on these subjects. You can read all about it in the newspaper.

Just kidding. The media never asked any questions.

Last edited:
Rager Els, a player on Massillon, broke his leg in their game against Bishop Sycamore. Injuries did happen, but the coaches/teams just chalk it up to “that’s football”

A player from Catholic High School (Virginia Beach, VA) left the field in an ambulance and there were several fights during the game.

Last edited:

Then there was this illegal hit that was viral through social media in 2020. Only no one knew the player from BS actually graduated high school in 2019.

even 247 took the bait.lol

Last edited:
Then there was this illegal hit that was viral through social media in 2020. Only no one knew the player from BS actually graduated high school in 2019.
That information was posted on this forum before that game so anyone who cared to know could have known. Yet another point in this four-year saga where the slightest bit of media scrutiny would have put a quick end to this sham.

That information was posted on this forum before that game so anyone who cared to know could have known. Yet another point in this four-year saga where the slightest bit of media scrutiny would have put a quick end to this sham.

Right ended up going to a JUCO in OH , Hocking College for a year and only got in 5 games and made 1 tackle. Funny considering his people were on here spouting off how he is a D1 prospect and all back when this thing went viral.. just more typical BS from "BS High"..SMH

Correction: That information was posted on this forum two days after the St. Ignatius game but before Bishop Sycamore played Aurora, St. Edward and Warren Harding. Also on the roster that season was a man with an outstanding arrest warrant.

Correction: That information was posted on this forum two days after the St. Ignatius game but before Bishop Sycamore played Aurora, St. Edward and Warren Harding. Also on the roster that season was a man with an outstanding arrest warrant.
Two, actually! Both for felonies too.

Another thread had a quote from Hoban's coach praising Bishop Sycamore in the press after their game the week before it all blew up. Judging by this account of the game his true opinions may have differed.

https://news.scorebooklive.com/news...uniforms-incomplete-rosters-complete-disarray
The author of that article, Ryan Isley, said he was covering the game for cleveland.com so I went back and read the original article there. He failed to mention any of these details in the original article. It was just a standard write-up of a game that would lead one to believe there was nothing amiss about Bishop Sycamore at all. Together with the coach praising Bishop Sycamore despite having just witnessed inept coaching, unsportsmanlike conduct and awful football, this is another disgusting example of how this sham was able to continue for so long. Not only were the coaches and athletic directors willing to put their students at risk despite being forewarned, they actively covered it up afterward. It wasn't until the ESPN debacle that the whole country found out what all those coaches knew all along but decided to keep quiet.

Last edited:

even 247 took the bait.lol

Re-watching these clips, do the OHSAA officials covering this game not call taunting? The hits are bad enough, but that’s as an easy a taunting call
You’re going to get. They also dont believe in calling illegal helmet contact or targeting.

The author of that article said he was covering the game for cleveland.com so I went back and checked the original article there. He failed to mention any of these details in the original article. It was just a standard write-up of a game that would lead one to believe there was nothing amiss about Bishop Sycamore at all. Together with the coach praising Bishop Sycamore despite having just witnessed inept coaching, unsportsmanlike conduct and awful football, this is another disgusting example of how this sham was able to continue for so long. Not only were the coaches and athletic directors willing to put their students at risk despite being forewarned, they actively covered it up afterward. It wasn't until the ESPN debacle that the whole country found out what all those coaches knew all along but decided to keep quiet.
:rolleyes:

I'm sure the young men who came to Columbus and had to sleep on floors, steal food or go hungry, and were subjected to violence from their unsupervised teammates wouldn't appreciate the rolling eyes. Neither would the group of young men that followed, or the next group, or the next.

Last edited: