Bishop Hartley (4-2) Vs Villa Angela St Joseph (5-1)

This should be a good game and expected to be a close one like last years match up. Here’s the skinny on what to expect from the Vikings. The Vikings returned most of their starters with a a QB who’s much improved compared to his sophmore season. The offensive game plan is mostly ground and pound their way to the end zone, or occasionally air it out and at times look unstoppable. Other times, they have looked pedestrian and had no answer to the opponents defense. Hopefully for their sake, they learned from the Kenston game.

As I mentioned in the thread when we played Kenston, the defense is very sketchy and can easily make this a track meet or a blowout if Hartley’s defense has an answer to VASJ’s offense, which concerns me going into the game. The Vikings will need to stay disciplined and avoid dumb self inflicting penalties that can find them in deep trouble. Defense is my main concern and if they can’t contain Hartley’s offense, it’s gonna be a back and forth battle or to the point Hartley pulls away.

Best of luck to the Hartley faithful Friday night, I’m looking forward to following along.

Also is there any streams for the game for those of us in Cleveland can tune into?

This should be a good game and expected to be a close one like last years match up. Here’s the skinny on what to expect from the Vikings. The Vikings returned most of their starters with a a QB who’s much improved compared to his sophmore season. The offensive game plan is mostly ground and pound their way to the end zone, or occasionally air it out and at times look unstoppable. Other times, they have looked pedestrian and had no answer to the opponents defense. Hopefully for their sake, they learned from the Kenston game.

As I mentioned in the thread when we played Kenston, the defense is very sketchy and can easily make this a track meet or a blowout if Hartley’s defense has an answer to VASJ’s offense, which concerns me going into the game. The Vikings will need to stay disciplined and avoid dumb self inflicting penalties that can find them in deep trouble. Defense is my main concern and if they can’t contain Hartley’s offense, it’s gonna be a back and forth battle or to the point Hartley pulls away.

Best of luck to the Hartley faithful Friday night, I’m looking forward to following along.

Also is there any streams for the game for those of us in Cleveland can tune into?
If you have Spectrum, this game is on TV live as it’s the Spectrum game of the week.

Good information. Thanks for sharing. Info on Hartley from a Watterson fan:

Off -- Hartley is old school. Super small splits and pound the ball. That said, they have a very good (and tall) WR #5 who is fast and can separate. QB has good arm but seemed to struggle o receiving snaps and being consistent. They use 3-4 RB for sure. #12 is fast and quick,. you must contain. #43 (FB) is a freaking load. Oline is not the best Hartley Oline I have seen. I would say Off is weaker of the 2 sides of the ball for Hartley.

Def -- Its good. Really good at stopping the run. It loves to load the box and blitz. That killed them against Watty since we throw a ton and have a QB who could play D1 if wanted to (Going to Marshall for baseball). Running ball is just so tough on them cause the front 7 are studs. The DB's are smaller though and passing is much easier if you give QB time. Overall, Def is their strength.

Special teams were poor in the Watty game for sure. No real kicker, do onside kicks all tie and dumb coaching calls like going for fake punt on their own 22 in Q2. That said, this is an annual assemement of this area for Hartley.

Definitely a kid to look out for is #2 Bo Jackson (4* Ohio State/D-I recruit) and #21 Mani Powell. Powell is the lead back and is small, fast, and very elusive and is hard to bring down, Bo Jackson lives up to his nickname of Bo and will bulldoze his way to some big game yardage. If the Hawks contain him, definitely will be a long night and long drive up 71.

Last edited:

Game should be streamed on the bishop hartley high school youtube account as well.

I'm going to yell "this is the best you could buy" at Rotsky and get in his head. And yell Lou Holtz says your teams is not very physical and that's why you can't win the big ones. And every time Hartley gets a touchdown, me and the hockey team are going to scream, sieve, you suck.

Yikes… that’s all I will have to say. Reminds me of my sophmore year when we last played at Hartley and got curb stomped

After watching most of this game i wouldnt be surprised if VASJ finish the season 6-4. Theyve got two straight away games ahead of the them against Ursuline and SVSM.

I was at that game. Noah Key and Omar Lane were thunder and lightning for the Hawks.
I remember those names. It was bad enough one of my teammates ended up going to the hospital with a pretty bad concussion where he had no idea who or where he was. And honestly our program was so down that we had no business playing Hartley that year lol

After watching most of this game i wouldnt be surprised if VASJ finish the season 6-4. Theyve got two straight away games ahead of the them against Ursuline and SVSM.
I’m right there with you. The offense depending on the opponents defense will get there’s. It’s the Viking defense that scares me the most and gives me zero confidence in winning games or making a deep run. They have 0 shot with Ursuline and they have less than a 50% shot against St. V. But hey, weird stuff does happen.

VASJ cannot stop anybody. Rotsky cannot win a big game - same as always. This team beats the weak teams and gets run off the field against any team with decent talent.

VASJ cannot stop anybody. Rotsky cannot win a big game - same as always. This team beats the weak teams and gets run off the field against any team with decent talent.
The discipline and coaching always coming in to haunt them. Something has to give because literally allowing Hartley to score on every single possession does not cut it.