Biggest Non-Conference Rival?

IndianaBanana

Well-known buffoon
Tis the off-season for nothing conversations.
Here's one to paw the yarn at. Who's your schools biggest non-conference rival?

Maybe theres multiple?
Maybe they're a bigger rival than anyone in your conference?
Why? Proximity? History?

The Banana want's to know.

For Fort Recovery, it's easily Jay County.
Unique due to the state boarder, many FR natives do a lot of shopping and eating in Portland (where JC is), lot of family ties, second closest school (we're their closest), games between the two are always tight.

for Greenon, it’s Springfield Shawnee. they shared a league together every year they existed until 2017. the schools are roughly 15 minutes or 10 miles apart. a straight line from Greenon stadium to Dave Long Memorial stadium is closer to 5 miles. both schools also share a very long border with each other. they have shared many families and to my knowledge have had many administrators jump between the two schools.

Columbus Grove and Pandora-Gilboa
Both small schools (D6 and D7 in football), both Putnam County schools, both red and grey, and only 5 miles between the 2 schools.

It's our week 1 football rivalry every year, and it's almost always a good game with the biggest crowd of the year, like a backyard brawl between big brother and little brother
Screenshot 2023-02-23 155903.jpg

For Waverly it has to be our county rival Piketon who is just a whopping 8 miles away, but in 2 different conferences, sadly haven’t played since 2019 due to the rivalry being very lopsided . As far as who we consider our rival now yet we haven’t beaten them often is Wheelersburg, they are gold standard for football in SEO and has had a some good games in the past few season

Coldwater's biggest non conference rivalry is Celina. We are only separated by 8 miles and we play in every sport except football which we only scrimmage..

Even though it's the same conference, different division. Trimble and Nelsonville-York are only separated by only 8 miles. A great way to kick off the season watching these two tradition rich programs face off.

Tis the off-season for nothing conversations.
Here's one to paw the yarn at. Who's your schools biggest non-conference rival?

Maybe theres multiple?
Maybe they're a bigger rival than anyone in your conference?
Why? Proximity? History?

The Banana want's to know.

For Fort Recovery, it's easily Jay County.
Unique due to the state boarder, many FR natives do a lot of shopping and eating in Portland (where JC is), lot of family ties, second closest school (we're their closest), games between the two are always tight.
Fort better get wrestling to really liven up that rivalry. Jay County has went on a tear this year on the mat.

Mogadore vs Mogadore Field. Should always be played. Schools about 3.5 miles apart. Share the same postal address and many in Suffield Township are actually closer to Mogadore than to Field.

Painesville Riverside
Football: Mentor (was Perry until series ended last season)
Men’s sports: Perry
Women’s sports: Mentor

Mentor's biggest non-conference rival is Iggy. I have a heard time thinking of who else to include on that list since Mentor has been a member of the LEL and GCC conferences and that covers a lot of teams.

It used to be Moeller for Princeton, but now I think the fan base gets more up for the times they play Winton Woods. Unfortunately I don't see much room for football games as both the GMC and ECC have moved to nine game schedules. They have at least made more of a commitment to play each other in basketball.

I'm new to Lebanon but it seems they make a big deal about Springboro.

1. McNick-Turpin
2. Anderson
3. Roger Bacon

Haven‘t played 1.or 2. in awhile but meetings in the last 10 years have been pretty even.

St. X - whatever school Tom Bolden is recruiting for... and St. Ignatius of course (although I almost consider that a league game).

Fort better get wrestling to really liven up that rivalry. Jay County has went on a tear this year on the mat.
That ain't happening anytime soon. FR isn't big enough to successfully support Basketball, Swimming, Bowling and Wrestling. I know you're a big Wrestling guy, but you could change that to Tennis or Gymnastics and the thesis would still be the same.

What NEEDS to happen is getting them back on the football schedule on a permanent basis. Something @StateChampion2012 and I mention about 3 times a year.

That ain't happening anytime soon. FR isn't big enough to successfully support Basketball, Swimming, Bowling and Wrestling. I know you're a big Wrestling guy, but you could change that to Tennis or Gymnastics and the thesis would still be the same.

What NEEDS to happen is getting them back on the football schedule on a permanent basis. Something @StateChampion2012 and I mention about 3 times a year.
Right now that would be an easy football W for the Fort. Could be wrong but I haven't saw what I expected from their new coach who is a HOFer. Seems like talent isn't there.
For the wrestling, not even wanting a full team. Would love to see some individuals compete in those Southern MAC schools. Be like Lincolnview but maybe a couple less.

Right now that would be an easy football W for the Fort. Could be wrong but I haven't saw what I expected from their new coach who is a HOFer. Seems like talent isn't there.
To try to steer this back to the topic before it divulges into an FR/Indiana based thread, it doesn't matter how bad the team is, the kids in these schools know each other and will get up for that game. The communities pack the stands. That's why it's important to get that game back, and that's why FR's biggest out of conference rival is JC.

Toledo Waite vs Toledo Scott in the 1920s. Fourteen thousand fans would show up on Thanksgiving morning for the game in back of Waite High School in East Toledo.