Big Ten moving to conference-only model for all sports this fall

You can't expect the older coaches and support staff to participate in the fall either, then. Sooner or later, whether it's one of the college or pro leagues a player or coach is going to die. Then everything will completely shut down. Which is why I don't think there's any chance college football will be played this fall
If we play baseball, they’ll play football.

If we play baseball, they’ll play football.
NFL will happen, not so sure about college

You can't keep an entire college football team, the coaches, staff, etc (easily 150+ people in a lot of cases) in a bubble for the entire season like MLB, NBA and MLS are doing, while still expecting them to attend class, practice and travel to games. How much would it cost to test all of those people every other day? Idk, but it's gotta be astronomical

IMO...eliminating non-conference games buys colleges an additional 3 weeks of practice. When they can officially start practices they will have periods of missed practices as players have to self quarantine.

To me the most logical answer is to move everything to the spring. It's just not smart or possible to try and have a season when most schools don't even know yet if they're going to allow students on campus for fall semester, most of which start in just over a month. Playing a conference only schedule doesn't really solve any issues and just looks like an excuse to try and continue playing when it would be smarter not to imo

Keep the schedules intact as much as possible, small schools will be able to collect their money and stay afloat, and they can actually play a real season instead of having numerous schools opt out. It would be better to not have a season at all than to have a season with limited or no fans in attendance, which would completely decimate almost every school's athletic budget.

I think the biggest stumbling block to spring football is TV. The networks have slots for everything and footbal just won't fit in the spring. I think the fall season is toast though, announcing that they will only play conference schedules is just delaying the inevitable.

I think the biggest stumbling block to spring football is TV. The networks have slots for everything and footbal just won't fit in the spring. I think the fall season is toast though, announcing that they will only play conference schedules is just delaying the inevitable.
Agree completely. The season is going to get canceled eventually, there's no moral justification to having amateur players at risk just so the NCAA can push on and collect their money. So it's going to be spring football or nothing. I have no idea how tv schedules would get sorted out; maybe play basketball during the week and then have football on Saturday and Sunday. College football on Sundays would actually be awesome

Pboy’s response was entirely predictable.
As was your pithy rejoinder. This is stupid and not rooted in logic. College students are not at risk, every bit of data supports that. However, I’m not surprised that science only matters when it fits an agenda.

Reactions: y2h
As was your pithy rejoinder. This is stupid and not rooted in logic. College students are not at risk, every bit of data supports that. However, I’m not surprised that science only matters when it fits an agenda.
What agenda does the ncaa have?

What agenda does the ncaa have?
They’re afraid of the Cancel culture. The far left doesn’t want sports, they want everyone, except protestors, to be living scared inside their homes until November. You don’t get to claim to be the party of science when you preach doom & gloom over a virus with a 99+% survival rate, while at the same time encouraging mass protests.

They’re afraid of the Cancel culture. The far left doesn’t want sports, they want everyone, except protestors, to be living scared inside their homes until November. You don’t get to claim to be the party of science when you preach doom & gloom over a virus with a 99+% survival rate, while at the same time encouraging mass protests.
Their agenda is being afraid of cancel culture? Okay, lolz.

Agree completely. The season is going to get canceled eventually, there's no moral justification to having amateur players at risk just so the NCAA can push on and collect their money. So it's going to be spring football or nothing. I have no idea how tv schedules would get sorted out; maybe play basketball during the week and then have football on Saturday and Sunday. College football on Sundays would actually be awesome
Maybe the Hallmark Channel could take a break from showing Christmas movies 12 months a year and give us some spring football. ?

Yeah, they’re afraid of the media pressure. Keep in mind, all Athletic depts still have to answer to a university President.
So that’s their “agenda” being afraid of cancel culture and media pressure? It can’t be because we don’t know a lot about coronavirus yet and it might be best to not put students and athletic staffs in a position where they can spread the virus and potentially become ill?

So that’s their “agenda” being afraid of cancel culture and media pressure? It can’t be because we don’t know a lot about coronavirus yet and it might be best to not put students and athletic staffs in a position where they can spread the virus and potentially become ill?
We know it has over a 99% survival rate and it’s less harmful to college age students than the flu. That’s on top of most cases being Asymptomatic. We can argue that fans shouldn’t be in attendance, but sports should be played.

Reactions: y2h
You're such a moron. It's not just about the players, it's about the coaches on every staff who are in their 50s and 60s.

You're such a moron. It's not just about the players, it's about the coaches on every staff who are in their 50s and 60s.
And even then, they’re still not at much risk. If someone like Saban wanted to sit out, fine. However, most college staffs don’t have coaches over 70

No, the biggest stumbling block will be ALL the players expected to be in the NFL draft will sit the season out of fear of getting an injury. So you would be looking at a lot of second-stringers playing other second-stringers. Sounds like boring football to me.

To avoid having to agree on specific protocols with an outside entity. Within the league it’s much easier to have a universal set of protocols in place for conference members.

Besides universal protocols, I imagine if they do play it gives them more available dates and leeway to shift games around in the event a team(s) has a sizeable outbreak causing a quarantining situation in-season. This was the best option to try to ensure that a legit conference champ is crowned this year.

May have been posted already, but Notre Dame will be playing a 10-game ACC schedule with one out of conference game.

The Irish will also be eligible for the ACC title.

To avoid having to agree on specific protocols with an outside entity. Within the league it’s much easier to have a universal set of protocols in place for conference members.

I can't imagine a scenario where the MAC wouldn't accommodate whatever the Big Ten wanted. Those games are big for those athletic departments. The conference is losing millions

Right, because the B10 isn't clearly the 2nd best conference in college football...
Sure Ohio State is usually among the top ranked teams in the country, but I wouldn't use the word "best" to describe any conference that includes the football teams from Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska and Purdue.

Sure Ohio State is usually among the top ranked teams in the country, but I wouldn't use the word "best" to describe any conference that includes the football teams from Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska and Purdue.
"I wouldn't use the word 'best' to describe any conference that includes the football teams from Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Mississippi State and Missouri." Every conference looks terrible if you just list off the entire bottom half of it.

Besides, you really didn't even do that. Minnesota went 11-2 and finished in the top 10, while Indiana went 8-5 and made an appearance in the top 25.

"I wouldn't use the word 'best' to describe any conference that includes the football teams from Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Mississippi State and Missouri." Every conference looks terrible if you just list off the entire bottom half of it.

Besides, you really didn't even do that. Minnesota went 11-2 and finished in the top 10, while Indiana went 8-5 and made an appearance in the top 25.

Thank you for not saying Kentucky. Means a lot