Best food in Ohio

Here are a few more:

Seafood:
Ohio: Frank's Fish & Seafood Market
> Location: Columbus
This seafood market has a fry cook and both indoor and patio seating. Pick up some fresh, frozen, or smoked seafood to take home, and stay for a fried platter, po'boy, or gumbo. The lobster bisque, salmon salad, and clam chowder are always fresh, and the menu often includes gator sandwiches and frog legs.

Sandwiches:
Slyman's Deli. Cleveland, Ohio
Looking for a perfect corned beef sandwich in Cleveland? Everyone in the city will tell you to go to Slyman's. Well, except maybe the people who want to keep tourists away from this beloved spot. Come with an appetite. The owners aren't kidding when they say they have some of the biggest sandwiches in town.

Pasta dish:
OHIO: Lola & Giuseppe's Trattoria in Columbus
Ever tried deep-fried pasta? If the answer is no, make sure to put Lola & Giuseppe's at the top of your must-try restaurants. Customers can't stop raving about the famed pasta fritto, which features creamy spaghetti packed into a loaf, coated with bread crumbs, and fried till golden brown. The result? A piping hot guilty pleasure.

Fried chicken:
Belgrade Gardens, Barberton

What better place to sink your teeth into the crispiest, crunchiest chicken than the “Fried Chicken Capital of the World”? Belgrade Gardens not only lives up to its city’s nickname with its juicy pieces (the owner was the first to serve the chicken back), it also offers a hot relish for dipping unlike anything we’ve tasted.
I'll second Belgrade Gardens. My family was originally from the area (dad from Massillon, mom from Norton) but we moved out of the area in the early 80's when my dad got an engineering job in Columbus. I still remember those monthly trips in our Ford Granada (until it died and they bought a Honda) to see my grandparents that were often highlighted by getting some "Barberton Chicken." Maybe I'll take a drive over that way soon for old times sake.

I'll add to the list here. I've got pizza on the brain this morning.

Hounddogs Pizza: Located just north of the Ohio State University campus in Columbus on N High, this place serves up a killer pie. Pizza for the people, their pies have kick. The reason I love this pizza comes down to two things. One being the crust. Go with the Smoking Joes for its garlicy deliciousness. Then, depending on your level of spice tolerance, pick out a spicy sauce. Pair the great pizza with a rock n roll atmosphere and you've got the best pizza shop in Columbus. Admittedly, part of my love for this shop goes to nostalgia. It used to be open 24 hours and I got my undergrad at Ohio State. You do the math.

Kraus' Pizza: This is the only chain I'm including on the list and it's a small chain. This is my dad's favorite pizza place dating back to his childhood in Massillon. I feel like one of the best parts of a good pizza is the memories it brings you back to. I've never been a veggie guy on pizza, but Kraus' kills it when it comes to fresh veggies on their pies. Pair that with a solid tomato-y sauce that doesn't distract your taste buds and a not too thick crust that gives you both some crisp at the bottom and some chewy on through and you've got a solid pizza.

Village Idiot: Another rock and roll pizza joint that advertises hot music and live pizza, or something like that, this place is all about grade A toppings. I'll be honest, the crust is nothing special, so if you're just a peperoni guy, skip this one. Those toppings though! Really anything you get on the pizza here is top notch. You like monster veggies, they have it. You want meatballs, they have it. You want Italian sausage, they have it. You get my point. I tend to go with the hand cut pepperoni, bacon (Canadian or not, both are great), feta, and extra cheese.

Purple Indian Pizza: I'm including this small town central Ohio shop out of Mt. Gilead as an off the beaten path choice. I stumbled upon this place on accident on jaunts between Marion, Mansfield, and Mt. Vernon by way of the Columbus area. It has since become a must stop anytime I'm in the area and craving pizza. This place is go to if you're a "purist" and just craving a pepperoni pizza. The crust is in the perfect place between thin and thick, especially if you're a hand tossed style person. The sauce is just the right amount of sweet to peppery. The pepperoni is just what you want it to be. This is a solid small town joint. My only knock on it is that I'd suggest take out as the dinning area is just serviceable, at best.

Last edited:
Those Mississippians are gross. Yuck!
At least they know what's in the sandwich. Is anyone sure what part of the animal is in a hot dog?

“The ears give you lots of juiciness and tasty pork flavours all at the same time,” said cook Lavette Mack as she stirred a simmering pot on the stovetop. “Add a little crunch with some slaw, give it a kick with some homemade hot sauce, put it all together in a bun and you’ve got yourself something really special."

Nolia in Cincinnati is quickly becoming one of my favorite restaurants. They were just named a top 100 new restaurant by Esquire. New Orleans native owner-chef Jeffrey Harris brings Louisiana to Ohio in an authentic way. Nearly won a James Beard I believe. Small restaurant - maybe 15 total tables and 4 bar seats. Kitchen is mostly out in the open and you’re watching the chefs work. I always enjoy that, I think it’s incredible to see a chef operate, there’s definitely an art to it. Most seem to enjoy the human interaction with the customers as well. The menu changes every few months. I’ve been a few times now but went again last night and had an awesome surprise, didn’t know they changed things up.

Sundays they have limited dinner hours and a limited menu for Sunday Supper - choice of 4 piece, 8 piece or 12 piece fried chicken. Sides such as red beans and rice and cornbread with an amazing compound butter, etc. If fried chicken and sides isn’t your thing you can get an incredible fried shrimp poboy or a hot sausage poboy. End things with a bread pudding. My wife, myself and a couple friend of ours ordered one of everything and split it all. Paired with an incredible cremant bubbly, it was a hell of a Sunday meal.

Nolia in Cincinnati is quickly becoming one of my favorite restaurants. They were just named a top 100 new restaurant by Esquire. New Orleans native owner-chef Jeffrey Harris brings Louisiana to Ohio in an authentic way. Nearly won a James Beard I believe. Small restaurant - maybe 15 total tables and 4 bar seats. Kitchen is mostly out in the open and you’re watching the chefs work. I always enjoy that, I think it’s incredible to see a chef operate, there’s definitely an art to it. Most seem to enjoy the human interaction with the customers as well. The menu changes every few months. I’ve been a few times now but went again last night and had an awesome surprise, didn’t know they changed things up.

Sundays they have limited dinner hours and a limited menu for Sunday Supper - choice of 4 piece, 8 piece or 12 piece fried chicken. Sides such as red beans and rice and cornbread with an amazing compound butter, etc. If fried chicken and sides isn’t your thing you can get an incredible fried shrimp poboy or a hot sausage poboy. End things with a bread pudding. My wife, myself and a couple friend of ours ordered one of everything and split it all. Paired with an incredible cremant bubbly, it was a hell of a Sunday meal.
New Orleans inspired cuisine is really hot right now and almost every major city has a top rated restaurant serving this food. In CLE it is Bourbon Street Barrel room, top 10 according to trip Advisor with one of the best happy hours in town:

When we went, it was after midnight and the parking lot was packed. I guess my only mistake was that I didn't have anything to drink before going there.
I go to Swenson's when I want a Swenson's burger, or the kids want to go. It's something different, for sure, and if I wanted a burger burger I would def go to Five Guys first. I had a Hardee's burger the other day that I'd typically prefer over a Galley boy or a monster Swenson's burger.

At least they know what's in the sandwich. Is anyone sure what part of the animal is in a hot dog?

“The ears give you lots of juiciness and tasty pork flavours all at the same time,” said cook Lavette Mack as she stirred a simmering pot on the stovetop. “Add a little crunch with some slaw, give it a kick with some homemade hot sauce, put it all together in a bun and you’ve got yourself something really special."
"kosher" avoids the nastier bits (y)

In beverages, it gets you cane sugar in lieu of high fructose corn syrup, too.

Lawsons chip dip

Sugardale Cleveland bologna (which has been discontinued for some insane reason)
So convenience stores are a big thing in Tokyo, guess what one of the chains is called and of course they have a signature item:

1701805102379.png

I'll add to the list here. I've got pizza on the brain this morning.

Hounddogs Pizza: Located just north of the Ohio State University campus in Columbus on N High, this place serves up a killer pie. Pizza for the people, their pies have kick. The reason I love this pizza comes down to two things. One being the crust. Go with the Smoking Joes for its garlicy deliciousness. Then, depending on your level of spice tolerance, pick out a spicy sauce. Pair the great pizza with a rock n roll atmosphere and you've got the best pizza shop in Columbus. Admittedly, part of my love for this shop goes to nostalgia. It used to be open 24 hours and I got my undergrad at Ohio State. You do the math.

Kraus' Pizza: This is the only chain I'm including on the list and it's a small chain. This is my dad's favorite pizza place dating back to his childhood in Massillon. I feel like one of the best parts of a good pizza is the memories it brings you back to. I've never been a veggie guy on pizza, but Kraus' kills it when it comes to fresh veggies on their pies. Pair that with a solid tomato-y sauce that doesn't distract your taste buds and a not too thick crust that gives you both some crisp at the bottom and some chewy on through and you've got a solid pizza.

Village Idiot: Another rock and roll pizza joint that advertises hot music and live pizza, or something like that, this place is all about grade A toppings. I'll be honest, the crust is nothing special, so if you're just a peperoni guy, skip this one. Those toppings though! Really anything you get on the pizza here is top notch. You like monster veggies, they have it. You want meatballs, they have it. You want Italian sausage, they have it. You get my point. I tend to go with the hand cut pepperoni, bacon (Canadian or not, both are great), feta, and extra cheese.

Purple Indian Pizza: I'm including this small town central Ohio shop out of Mt. Gilead as an off the beaten path choice. I stumbled upon this place on accident on jaunts between Marion, Mansfield, and Mt. Vernon by way of the Columbus area. It has since become a must stop anytime I'm in the area and craving pizza. This place is go to if you're a "purist" and just craving a pepperoni pizza. The crust is in the perfect place between thin and thick, especially if you're a hand tossed style person. The sauce is just the right amount of sweet to peppery. The pepperoni is just what you want it to be. This is a solid small town joint. My only knock on it is that I'd suggest take out as the dinning area is just serviceable, at best.
Curious seeing you are in the Columbus area if you have tried Mikey's Late Night Slice?

Curious seeing you are in the Columbus area if you have tried Mikey's Late Night Slice?
I haven’t. I’ve heard of it. Where is it? Maybe I’ll try to weasel my way into the clinic this year if they give retiree passes and I’ll check it out. Although the name “Late Night Slice” might be past my bedtime.

Stewart's Wishniak Black Cherry is an old-fashioned soda that is a genuine black cherry flavor. It's rich, sweet, dark and delicious. Black Cherry Wishniak originated in Europe and has become an American Tradition. It's popularity began in Philadelphia in the late '40's and quickly spread to New York and Baltimore.
Do you recall, did Lawson's sell a non-carbonated version ? I might be conflating it with something else.

The original wishniak sounds like a black cherry version of the blackberry cordial my mom made, with sugar, vodka, and blackberries in a glass gallon jug. Lay the jug on its side, a quarter turn of the jug every few days for a few months

Do you recall, did Lawson's sell a non-carbonated version ? I might be conflating it with something else.

The original wishniak sounds like a black cherry version of the blackberry cordial my mom made, with sugar, vodka, and blackberries in a glass gallon jug. Lay the jug on its side, a quarter turn of the jug every few days for a few months
I guess it is based on a Russian cordial.

They had a radio jingle for this pop back in the early '70s that I recall, but couldn't find it.

How about Hillbilly Joose? I think that was like Mountain Dew.

1701968243339.png

I guess it is based on a Russian cordial.

They had a radio jingle for this pop back in the early '70s that I recall, but couldn't find it.

How about Hillbilly Joose? I think that was like Mountain Dew.

View attachment 51088
"Hillbilly Joose, Hillbilly Joose, I gotta get me some Hillbilly Joose!!" popped into my head when I read this. I can remember riding in the back of the '66 Country Squire - non-woody, blue metal flake - and hearing women harmonizing on the radio, "Wishniak! black cherr-y-y-y..", too

Cherokee Red had a song, too, I think..... but it's gone up under my dome.

Could it be the orange juice?

"The oranges ripen in the Florida sun, sweet on the tree they stay!
Then we pick 'em and we squeeze, just as quick as you please,
And the Big O leaves the same day!"

You've got 40 hours. Don't be messing around.

I'll have to play that and see how I did!

I guess subsequent generations may hear or read "Big O", and flash back to Overstock.com ads with pretty models and orgasm double entendre', but old guys, we can do both

I haven’t. I’ve heard of it. Where is it? Maybe I’ll try to weasel my way into the clinic this year if they give retiree passes and I’ll check it out. Although the name “Late Night Slice” might be past my bedtime.
There's like 5-6 different locations around town. Only asking because I know the guy who owns it and started it. I thought it was pretty decent all things considered.

So convenience stores are a big thing in Tokyo, guess what one of the chains is called and of course they have a signature item:

View attachment 50969
Y'all, Smoove ain't got the dimentia-ation yet, but Smoove swear that that bike is Smoove's!! It gotted stolenated from right smack dab outta side my granny's crib back in like 1983. Smoove was devestimated like no one had never seent Smoove crushated and inconsolabilized. Luckily, the young lady that was a year older that Smoove let me borrow her sister's bike for the rest of the summer since her sister was away for some type of schoolin' trip, but it was certainly nice to let me usify the bike. Once Smoove became the Smoove talkin', wild-rustlin' playboy that Smoove is now, which was about 2 years followin' this super act of kindness, Smoove had the Mooves with her numerous times....some might thinkify it was as a form of paybackation, but either which way one might put it, it was very obvious that Smoove was sassifyin' her!
Anyway, SMoove curiousness gots the betterment part of Smoove right about now, and want to know where and when this picture was tooked. It sure look like Smoove's bike