• 2015 Akron Archbishop Hoban (14-1)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2014 Toledo Central Catholic (13-2)

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • 2013 Akron St Vincent-St Mary (15-0)

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • 2012 Akron St Vincent-St Mary (13-2)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2011 Youngstown Cardinal Mooney (11-3)

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • 2010 Columbus Bishop Watterson (13-1)

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Division III:
2019 Trotwood-Madison (12-3)
2018 Chagrin Falls Kenston (14-1)
2017 Trotwood-Madison (15-0)
2016 Akron Archbishop Hoban (14-1)
2015 Akron Archbishop Hoban (14-1)
2014 Toledo Central Catholic (13-2)
2013 Akron St Vincent-St Mary (15-0)
2012 Akron St Vincent-St Mary (13-2)
2011 Youngstown Cardinal Mooney (11-3)
2010 Columbus Bishop Watterson (13-1)

2010 Watterson only lost to a great Winton Woods team, but seemed to just find a way to win in the post season.
2011 Mooney was a good team, but shouldn't have lost to either Lake or Ursuline.
2012 SVSM lost bad to Mooney and Massillon and they were completely loaded.
2013 SVSM was a great team. Close win over Massillon and a very talented Marion-Franklin. This would be a solid choice.
2014 TCC was a great team. Loaded with talent. But the early losses drop them a notch even though they beat Mr Ohio Heisman.
2015 Hoban was a great team, but shouldn't have lost that bad to Benedictine. And the cheating was OTT that season, so it's got an asterisk.
2016 Hoban only lost a close game to St Edward. At their level, only DeSales gave them a fight. They'd be a solid choice.
2017 Trotwood Madison was 15-0 and beat the D-I state champion Pick Central. Other than a slight hiccup at Piqua, they absolutely obliterated everyone they should have. They also beat Wayne, TCC, and Tri-Valley who were all great teams that season. They're my choice.
2018 Kenston had that one loss but straight up dominated the post-season. They'd be a good pick.
2019 Trotwood Madison lost to the second best D-II team and two solid playoff D-I teams. And their walking wounded gutted out the state championship.

Definitely between 2017 Trotwood and 2013 SVSM. I just think the 2017 Trotwood was not only better resume wise but had so much talent that went on to play at the college level. I just can’t get over the fact that they beat the D1 champs by double digits in Pickerington. Mind you that Pickerington Central won the D1 state championship by running clock.

Definitely between 2017 Trotwood and 2013 SVSM. I just think the 2017 Trotwood was not only better resume wise but had so much talent that went on to play at the college level. I just can’t get over the fact that they beat the D1 champs by double digits in Pickerington. Mind you that Pickerington Central won the D1 state championship by running clock.
As much as I loved that 2013 Irish team, I may have to agree with this. The Irish defense was the best high school defense I had ever seen. There was some ridiculous statistic that they had more negative plays than they gave up positive yardage. Still, while they had Parris Campbell on offense, the passing game was seriously depleted due to injury. So while I would give the nod to the Irish D, I would begrudgingly give the nod to the Rams' offense and the overall!

2016 Hoban team smoked Trotwood in state championship game 30-0. Only loss was to a very good St Ed’s first game of the season.

2016 Hoban team smoked Trotwood in state championship game 30-0. Only loss was to a very good St Ed’s first game of the season.

I think it is really about matchups. Trotwood doesn’t game plan as much as you’d think when scouting their opponents. They run what they want to run wether the other team can stop it or not. Hoban had an incredible coaching staff that game planed against Trotwood and exposes this weakness. However, I don’t envision 2016 Hoban going into 2017 Pick Central’s house and beating them by double digits.

STVM 13 Defense was one of the best in HS history. The amount of talent on one side of the ball is astonishing. 2 D1 ILB’s (booker and Williams) state champion/State Placing wrestlers on the Dline. MAC offer DB’s they had it all. Plus an elite DC and now McKinley Head Coach Marcus Wattley

Hoban 16 very dominate Oline with plenty of D1 talent to suffice.

Mooney 11 I saw this team 3-4 times in person that year. Terrific Oline and Skill players. Quirky Offense schemes, Secondary was very average though. Saw Northwest and Dover throw on them

Sap? This Mooney team beat Lake 48-14. What are you talking about

I think it is really about matchups. Trotwood doesn’t game plan as much as you’d think when scouting their opponents. They run what they want to run wether the other team can stop it or not. Hoban had an incredible coaching staff that game planed against Trotwood and exposes this weakness. However, I don’t envision 2016 Hoban going into 2017 Pick Central’s house and beating them by double digits.
I count 12 players that started for Hoban in the 2016 championship playing D1 football and 1 playing D2 this year. You will be hard to find another team that had that much talent combined.

I count 12 players that started for Hoban in the 2016 championship playing D1 football and 1 playing D2 this year. You will be hard to find another team that had that much talent combined.

If you looked at the 2017 Trotwood roster you would find similar results. Like i said, I don’t see 2016 Hoban going into 2017 PC’s house and beating them by double digits like Trotwood did.

You don’t have to look too far....the 2013 St V team had double digit D1 and D2 football players (multiple who went to the University of Akron). The team also had Ohio’s Mr Football on its roster...as well as a 1st team all Big10 player from Ohio State.

Last edited:
PROJECT A MATCHUP
neutral field
[2016] Archbishop Hoban (Akron, OH) 28, [2017] Trotwood-Madison (Trotwood, OH) 21

Though CalPreps isn’t the most reliable, still interesting. I feel Trotwood was hurt in the simulation by it’s close wins in the playoffs when Raveion Hargrove was playing hurt and they sort of fell asleep.

2016 Hoban team beat Trotwood in championship 30-0 on a running clock. Was the 2017 Trotwood version that much better?
Teams grow a lot in one year. Trotwood beat the D1 state champ. Hoban lost to two none D1 state teams in both 2016 and 2017. I’d say Trotwood is better since you could argue they were the best team in Ohio that year. Hoban can not make that claim

Ye
Teams grow a lot in one year. Trotwood beat the D1 state champ. Hoban lost to two none D1 state teams in both 2016 and 2017. I’d say Trotwood is better since you could argue they were the best team in Ohio that year. Hoban can not make that claim
Yea teams definitely grow. Hoban put a running clock on the Rams 30-0 in 2016 and the only reason it wasn’t repeated in 2017 is that Hoban was moved up to D2 and boat raced WW 42-14 in finals. Lucky for Trotwood they were moved up. Hoban won 4 straight titles, 2 at D3 and 2 at D3 with a D3 enrollment.