Best DEAD Rivalries (or rivalries of the past...)

Couldn't tell you. I'm not from the Lima area. I would imagine the feelings were mixed with a record of 30-20-2 over 5 seasons. There are always people unhappy with the coach no matter what they do.
His tenure in Steubenville didn’t last long. 14-15-1 didn’t cut it. He did have good success at Celina though.

Hartley vs Lancaster Boys Industrial School was always a barn burner:
1689806258226.png

Couldn't tell you. I'm not from the Lima area. I would imagine the feelings were mixed with a record of 30-20-2 over 5 seasons. There are always people unhappy with the coach no matter what they do.
Not sure if you're referencing Harris here but he only did 4 years in Lima. He took over at Lima Senior in the spring of '74 and coached up until he took the Steubenville job for the 1978 season. Came right back to west central Ohio after just 3 seasons in Steubenville.

Lima Senior and Princeton did not play to my knowledge until Lima joined the GMC in 1980.

No disrespect intended but I know they played each other in Princeton's 1978 AAA state championship season, Princeton won 33-14. I also know they did not play each other when Princeton went to the AAA final in 1972. I don't know if they played in between which would include the years coach Harris was there.

No disrespect intended but I know they played each other in Princeton's 1978 AAA state championship season, Princeton won 33-14. I also know they did not play each other when Princeton went to the AAA final in 1972. I don't know if they played in between which would include the years coach Harris was there.
Princeton and Moeller faced off through the 80s in week 10. Another long ago rivalry that is no more. The same with St. Xavier vs Colerain. These were games circled on their calendars every year. Princeton & Colerain could compete with the GCL big schools in those days. No longer.

Lima Senior and Princeton did not play to my knowledge until Lima joined the GMC in 1980.
Can't disrespect if I didn't really know :cool:

Did you mean to say they DID play in 1972?

Princeton and Lima played a 4-game annual series as non-conference rivals from 1975-78 (odd years in Lima), with Lima's only win coming in 1977. These two then played annually from 1980-98 as Greater Miami rivals, with Lima's only wins coming in 1989 (in Sharonville in OT), 1994, 1996, and 1997 (the last 3 all at home). They have not played since.

Princeton and Lima played a 4-game annual series as non-conference rivals from 1975-78 (odd years in Lima), with Lima's only win coming in 1977. These two then played annually from 1980-98 as Greater Miami rivals, with Lima's only wins coming in 1989 (in Sharonville in OT), 1994, 1996, and 1997 (the last 3 all at home). They have not played since.
Stupid question but Lima was still in the GMC through the 1999-2000 school year, did Lima just not play Princeton that fall '99 due to the scheduling format at the time? I know we played them in '98, but am assuming we played them in the fall of '99. We may not have but can't remember. I know we beat them in boys basketball in February 2000. One of maybe the last home GMC basketball game for the Spartans was against the Vikings.

Stupid question but Lima was still in the GMC through the 1999-2000 school year, did Lima just not play Princeton that fall '99 due to the scheduling format at the time? I know we played them in '98, but am assuming we played them in the fall of '99. We may not have but can't remember. I know we beat them in boys basketball in February 2000. One of maybe the last home GMC basketball game for the Spartans was against the Vikings.
The GMC expanded to 10 teams starting in the 97-98 school year by adding Colerain and Lakota splitting into East and West. There were only 8 league games on the schedule at the time so there would always be 1 league member you would not play. That would be the reason they did not play in '99 , assuming that's the case.

BIG Mahoning valley rivalries of times gone by:
Cardinal Mooney vs. Woodrow Wilson (backyard rivals)
Struthers vs. Boardman (THE showdown game of the 1960s, also in BB)
Ursuline vs. Rayen (backyard rivals)
Cardinal Mooney vs. South (backyard rivals)
Struthers vs. Cardinal Mooney (a natural)
Boardman vs. Ursuline (how long will the Spartans boycott?)
East vs. Campbell Memorial (played 41 years in a row)
Hubbard vs. Ursuline (Hubbard was a major feeder area for UHS)
East vs. Struthers (an annual affair)
The cats got east on the schedule this year surprisingly. Should play Mooney every year too. Haven’t played Boardman since the 90’s.

The cats got east on the schedule this year surprisingly. Should play Mooney every year too. Haven’t played Boardman since the 90’s.
I remember the first ever Struthers vs. Mooney in week 2 in '68. A massive crowd. People wondered aloud why it took so long for these two rivals to meet on the gridiron. Mooney vs. Fitch opened that season, also a first ever pairing. (Will Fitch find its way back on CM's slate?) The parochials would join the SVC that year but wouldn't qualify for the title until '70. Too bad for the Irish who would have won the SVC in '69 except they weren't able to face off against Struthers. The scores of the 1st two Mooney games in '68 were a harbinger of great things to come for the SVC, beating Fitch 8-3 and being nipped 7-6 by Struthers. '67 & '68 were the years of sterling Wildcat teams that ended up #5 (I believe) in state polls among the big boys. Struthers was just unbeatable. Ytown please correct my facts if need be.

A very overlooked rivalry was Berea vs. Midpark especially during the mid 80's thru the mid 90's. The game was played at BW Finnie Stadium the last Friday of the season. The crowds were boisterous and crazy, and the games were very competitive and hard fought. The winner was usually the champion of the Pioneer Conference (Brunswick, Strongsville, Brecksville, Medina, Cloverleaf, N. Royalton, Berea, Midpark) and a berth in the playoffs. Only the top 4 teams in the computer polls made the playoffs back then. Having coached at Midpark during those years reminded me of my experiences as a player for Warren Harding during the classic Warren Harding / Warren Western Reserve battles. Players knowing each other and playing their hearts. Great times.

I never attend a game between these two but a big Columbus City League tilt was Brookhaven vs Beechcroft. Brookhaven was closed by CPS probably 10 years ago.

Jackson vs Wellston played 106 times. Last game in 2019
Jackson and Waverly was a big rivalry in the 60's. Keeping in Southern Ohio, Waverly and Portsmouth West had rivalries with Portsmouth Notre Dame that stopped due to school size and competitiveness .

What were the rivalries of the teams that would become Edison, Indian Creek, Buckeye Local and Harrison Central?

Who was Brilliant's chief rival? Etc.

Very interesting part of the state that saw massive consolidation of its schools as jobs left from the 70s through 90s.

I remember the first ever Struthers vs. Mooney in week 2 in '68. A massive crowd. People wondered aloud why it took so long for these two rivals to meet on the gridiron. Mooney vs. Fitch opened that season, also a first ever pairing. (Will Fitch find its way back on CM's slate?) The parochials would join the SVC that year but wouldn't qualify for the title until '70. Too bad for the Irish who would have won the SVC in '69 except they weren't able to face off against Struthers. The scores of the 1st two Mooney games in '68 were a harbinger of great things to come for the SVC, beating Fitch 8-3 and being nipped 7-6 by Struthers. '67 & '68 were the years of sterling Wildcat teams that ended up #5 (I believe) in state polls among the big boys. Struthers was just unbeatable. Ytown please correct my facts if need be.

You are correct. That Struthers game crowd at South looked like a Mooney-Ursuline crowd of that day, 14-15K.

The 1968 Mooney-Struthers and Ursuline-Struthers scores were also a harbinger of what was to come after the two ex-City Series teams joined the Steel Valley Conference. Struthers nipped Mooney 7-6 after Mooney two-time All-City FB Bob Mogulich went down with an injury on the 2nd or 3rd play of the 2nd half. Mooney led 6-0 and he had averaged over 6.0 YPC in the 1st half and gained 12 or 13 on the play he was injured on. He just landed awkwardly and broke his collar bone, a season ending injury. He was a big part of their offense and Mooney ended up 5-4 without him. Ursuline tied the Cats 6-6 in week 10. In their 6 SVC games that season Struthers averaged 43.5 PPG.

Trotwood-Madison and Northmont were big rivals.

Also Tippecanoe and Milton Union. There are still a few signs around Tipp City with the M crossed off remaining from previous years games.

I’ll add St. Mary’s and Sidney as I believe they opened with eachother for a long time. Could say the same with Wapak vs Bellefontaine although I’m not sure there was any hatred there. Bellefontaine was in the WBL way back in the day and I wanna say Wapak vs Bellefontaine was the opener from the 90s till 2019ish so they do have a good amount of games played between one another.

Oddly enough the bigger rivalry was the week 2 game Sidney vs Bellefontaine which when Sidney joined the MVL they moved to week 1 to keep that rivalry which made both teams dropping St. Mary’s and Wapak Week 1.

There are Wooster alumni who still hate Triway even though they stopped meeting on the gridiron-and the hardwood-in 1986.

Centerville vs Wayne, although still play one another, I'd call dead! Best big school rivalry in Dayton back in the 80's.
Other notable Dayton programs that are dead: Fairmont West vs Fairmont East - schools combined in 86.
I'd imagine Dayton Dunbar vs Dayton Roth was probably an epic rivalry. Roth closed in the 80's I believe.
Centerville vs Troy during the 70's I heard was pretty intense.

You are correct. That Struthers game crowd at South looked like a Mooney-Ursuline crowd of that day, 14-15K.

The 1968 Mooney-Struthers and Ursuline-Struthers scores were also a harbinger of what was to come after the two ex-City Series teams joined the Steel Valley Conference. Struthers nipped Mooney 7-6 after Mooney two-time All-City FB Bob Mogulich went down with an injury on the 2nd or 3rd play of the 2nd half. Mooney led 6-0 and he had averaged over 6.0 YPC in the 1st half and gained 12 or 13 on the play he was injured on. He just landed awkwardly and broke his collar bone, a season ending injury. He was a big part of their offense and Mooney ended up 5-4 without him. Ursuline tied the Cats 6-6 in week 10. In their 6 SVC games that season Struthers averaged 43.5 PPG.
The '68 Struthers vs Ursuline tilt was actually in week 11 as that was an option in those days if your team wanted (or had to have) a bye. Mooney had used week 11 in previous years to play Canton Central Catholic. Along with the Irish, the Cards competed against CCC for a mythical Diocesan championship. In week 10 that year Ursuline visited Boardman for their inaugural game. I remember the freezing winds that whipped around Spartan Stadium that cold night. Boardman rolled, 21-0 and very few gave UHS much of a chance against Struthers at Rayen a week later.

Wasn't Mogulich himself from Struthers? I know St. Nicholas was a major Mooney feeder.

The Irish & CCC met annually from 1945-1967 but have only faced off a few times since. In those days THAT was the big Diocesan showdown but all of that changed after the arrival of Mooney (for Ursuline) and Aquinas (for Central). The Youngstown Diocese was formed off of Cleveland by Pius XII in 1943 at the height of WW2. Mooney, Aquinas, JFK, St. Christine, and many others kept Bishop Walsh busy in those days dedicating a new school or parish church most every weekend. This was true of Dioceses throughout the US. In the Cincinnati Archdiocese Moeller, LaSalle, McNicholas, McAuley, Marian, Fenwick, Kettering Alter, & Dayton Carroll were among the many that kept the Archbishop blessing and dedicating most weekends. Truly a different time.

Other meetings that have practically evaporated were Brookfield vs. SVC foes. I think the Warriors were members for under a decade and in-over- their-heads in football. I know they had great BB teams along with their archrival Hubbard in the mid 60s. The Warriors leaving the league in '68 allowed the parochials to slide into open SVC slots when they had to scramble for games in '68. I don't think that Brookfield has played former conference foes Fitch, Boardman, or Struthers since.