Benedictine 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be honest here, Rotsky put the Chanel program in a position to be competing for (and eventually winning) state titles, even if he wasn't there when it happened. One can probably safely argue that he laid the foundation for the same to happen at Maple Heights.

What concerns me about the Benedictine coaching situation is that I'm not convinced that if/when Welo takes this program back to where it belongs that he will stick around long term. I'm not saying that he has to, but I don't want the job to become a "stepping stone" position or one where coaches come to experience on the job training for something else.

That is why the next head football coach should be a graduate from the high school and should have a commitment to a ten year plan to further the legacy of Benedictine football.

That is why the next head football coach should be a graduate from the high school and should have a commitment to a ten year plan to further the legacy of Benedictine football.

Even a committed recent graduate with little coaching experience would not stick around at Benny due to many factors so this is a challenging proposition. Top of the list is $s but also most have aspirations of coaching at the next level and don't want to deal with the parents that feel their kids need to play so they can prove them selves and get a NCAA scholarship. I think if you asked most current players they would say that winning is still top of the list but closer than ever at 1B is getting noticed and securing a free ride for college, HS coaches feel these days more like salesmen than coaches. Just look at the NCL coaches, none have been at their schools longer than a handful of years. Just the way things are these days...

Also any word on the coaching staff? I had heard some rumors that a couple assistants might be replaced but I didn't hear anything concrete and with that don't really want to say any names.

Easy to say when it is not your body and livelihood on the line. Everyday in college would have been a risk to his future. He needs to take care of his family, and himself financially.
Current take by NFL scout on Jerome Baker;
There has been a lot of media hype about Baker, but in speaking with scouts who did advance work on the 2018 class, they weren't impressed with Baker. They said that Baker runs around more blocks than he takes on and has the speed to get away with that against average offensive lines. They thought he was more of a second-day to early third-day prospect. They said Baker is a good player, but not complete and isn't anything exceptional. They felt Baker was a good, solid, instinct guy who, in the right system, will play in the NFL, but over time they're a dime a dozen.
I wish Jerome all the best in the world. I still think he needed to stay in college 1 more year.

:wallbang:2 Studs and a big offensive lineman, who are currently juniors, transferring in the last month is a HUGE ding to this program. Now this is worth a headbang.

This happened when Bossu, Hodakovic, Bortnick, and Schaeffer coached too. It happens everywhere, and all these kids think the grass is greener on the other side. Almost all of them have an underlying issue, usually grades or behavior. They don't like the rules, or the accountability that is asked of them at a private school. Not to say public schools don't have strict policies and procedures, but it's usually a more lax environment in general. But if you don't listen to both sides of the story, then most of these kids/parents who leave generate a grand story of how they weren't being used right, or they have better chances to play in college, or some other cockamamie excuse to justify why. Most of the time, it's looking for an easy way out. As said before, addition by subtraction. If they aren't with us....you know the rest.

Grades are a big issue:
Benedictine: 92% lowest A, 84% lowest B, 76 lowest C, 70% lowest D and 69.9% a F
Public schools: 90%,80%,70% and 60%
Colleges add 0.500 to a GPA for those coming from a private school as compared to a public school. So those who are getting the state minimum 1.8 GPA at Benedictine would be earning a 2.3 at a public school.

Why would anyone transfer to Valley Forge, as two did, from Benedictine is beyond me. Maybe it's those disillusion of grandeur. Not many scouts are attend Forge games as of late. Oh well, I guess that parents know what is best for their children.

Well said

Well said Broadway Joe and Bengal wrestling. You are true Bengals. All hail Benedictine our dear old white and blue

Agreed STVM should be in the NCL. Former AD Andy Jalwan did the legwork for this possibility. This would have been a great fit for Football and all other Irish sports. A missed opportunity!!!

Agreed STVM should be in the NCL. Former AD Andy Jalwan did the legwork for this possibility. This would have been a great fit for Football and all other Irish sports. A missed opportunity!!!

Hoops & one large benefactor play a role? (LBJ)

Guessing NDCL and Padua would not be thrilled by their entry either.

Hoops & one large benefactor play a role? (LBJ)

Guessing NDCL and Padua would not be thrilled by their entry either.

Basketball changes next year (2018-19) when the NCL goes to three divisions:

A: Benedictine, CCC, Hoban & VASJ
B: Lake Catholic, NDCL, Padua & Walsh Jesuit
C: Gilmore, JFK, St. Thomas Aquinas & Trinity

This means you are only tied into 6 conference games. I'm sure that there will be a lot of crossover games but not mandatory.

Could this be the enticement needed to draw SVSM as well as a few others into the league.

Basketball changes next year (2018-19) when the NCL goes to three divisions:

A: Benedictine, CCC, Hoban & VASJ
B: Lake Catholic, NDCL, Padua & Walsh Jesuit
C: Gilmore, JFK, St. Thomas Aquinas & Trinity

This means you are only tied into 6 conference games. I'm sure that there will be a lot of crossover games but not mandatory.

Could this be the enticement needed to draw SVSM as well as a few others into the league.

is this confirmed?

This happened when Bossu, Hodakovic, Bortnick, and Schaeffer coached too. It happens everywhere, and all these kids think the grass is greener on the other side. Almost all of them have an underlying issue, usually grades or behavior. They don't like the rules, or the accountability that is asked of them at a private school. Not to say public schools don't have strict policies and procedures, but it's usually a more lax environment in general. But if you don't listen to both sides of the story, then most of these kids/parents who leave generate a grand story of how they weren't being used right, or they have better chances to play in college, or some other cockamamie excuse to justify why. Most of the time, it's looking for an easy way out. As said before, addition by subtraction. If they aren't with us....you know the rest.
I hate to tell you but; During Bossu, Bortnick, Hodakovic, & Schaeffer's coaching tenure. I can guarantee you the elected team captain for the next season never transferred! By the way I heard he was a stud in the classroom too. Big Ding. Big Ding. Bring on Rotzky! Before it's too late. LOL.;:D

I take offense to your comments. I have a personnel relationship with the young man that transferred. Not only is he my sons best friend, he is like a second son to me. So let's get one thing straight, Junior. He is not a trouble maker, he is not a problem, he has no issues in the classroom and he certainly doesn't need you slamming him on a web site. He left for whatever reason, no business of mine or yours. PERIOD. Get over it. Fr Willy, shut off this faucet.

Last edited:
I take offense to your comments. I have a personnel relationship with the young man that transferred. Not only is he my sons best friend, he is like a second son to me. So let's get one thing straight, Junior. He is not a trouble maker, he is not a problem, he has no issues in the classroom and he certainly doesn't need you slamming him on a web site. He left for whatever reason, no business of mine or yours. PERIOD. Get over it. Fr Willy, shut off this faucet.

Yes Findy, they left. They left the school, they left the football program and they left their teammates.

“If you quit ONCE it becomes a habit.Never quit!!!”

― Michael Jordan

So I’m taking it that you don’t agree to the above “addition by subtraction” comment by ene?

I personally feel the 3 players lost is a big hit. For some reason others don’t think it’s a major loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.