Beat your biggest rival or win a state champion

Crimson and Black

Question for Massillon fans, would your rather:
A. Lose to McKinley but win your first title?
B. Beat McKinley but lose in state championship game?

a basic either or? It will be interesting to see how the Tiger faithful will spin this conundrum 🤔

Boy would that suck. Lose to the Bulldogs but win a title.

I get the rivalry and all, but I can't believe this can be a serious question.
I'll be shocked if it's not 95% or better in favor of "win a state title," especially considering Massillon's state championship struggles since the inception of the playoffs.

Prior to playoffs...beat your rival of course...now state championship. But seems the same teams are in the championship games in all divisions year after year. So some might go back with beat your rival!

My old high school lost to their big rival in the last game of the season back in 1996. They never lost again. I remember thinking that the loss was "the best thing that could have possibly happened." Get humbled right before the playoffs, and take nothing for granted.

Prior to playoffs...beat your rival of course...now state championship. But seems the same teams are in the championship games in all divisions year after year. So some might go back with beat your rival!
Especially in small school football. The MAC conference for a few years had at minimum two and at least once three state champions in the same year (I think one year I recall Minster, Marion Local and Coldwater all winning titles) so state titles are much more common than the coveted conference title.

Question for Massillon fans, would your rather:
A. Lose to McKinley but win your first title?
B. Beat McKinley but lose in state championship game?

a basic either or? It will be interesting to see how the Tiger faithful will spin this conundrum 🤔

Boy would that suck. Lose to the Bulldogs but win a title.

That’s a good question.

A tougher one is would you rather protect 16 year old girls or 63 year old coaches so they can set all time win records.
It would be interesting to see how morally corrupt people spin choosing the coach.

I'm going to give you 3 answers. If it's High school, I would 100% want the state title over the rivalry game. If it's college, I would much rather win the rivalry game. If it's the NFL, 100 % the Super Bowl.

Personally I'd rather lose to Mck then go on to win the title but it wouldn't be nearly as sweet. Not nearly by a mile. I am disgusted with myself to even type that. And I don't expect anyone else in the state of Ohio to even consider that a serious question, but Massillon vs. McKinley is a whole different animal.

I'm going to give you 3 answers. If it's High school, I would 100% want the state title over the rivalry game. If it's college, I would much rather win the rivalry game. If it's the NFL, 100 % the Super Bowl.

Depends on your rivalry in college, I guess. But I wouldn't totally mind losing to Michigan if a playoff berth and national title was still on deck. I'd rather win both, of course, but the national title comes first.

But I realize games like Bowling Green-Toledo or even Indiana-Purdue don't have that, so in that case the rivalry is everything.

As for this....ouch. I HATE losing to Napoleon. It wouldn't be easy at all. But if 15 weeks later we've rebounded and won state? I'll handle it.

My HS lost to its rival and won a state title in the same season. People remember that state title. I'm not sure how many of those same people remember that the team lost that rivalry game.