Beacons of light and closing/consolidating of parishes

I guess I missed this if this was mentioned earlier, but this is from a story on channel 9's website today:
When asked if currently existing parishes will close, Schnurr said the archdiocese is not focused on closing any. He added that, over time, family parishes may decide they don't need as many campuses as they currently have and there could be a decision to reduce a parish church to the status of an oratory or chapel instead.
That decision will be up to the parishes themselves, not the archdiocese, he said.
Some parish families will have some heated discussions in the future.

I guess I missed this if this was mentioned earlier, but this is from a story on channel 9's website today:
When asked if currently existing parishes will close, Schnurr said the archdiocese is not focused on closing any. He added that, over time, family parishes may decide they don't need as many campuses as they currently have and there could be a decision to reduce a parish church to the status of an oratory or chapel instead.
That decision will be up to the parishes themselves, not the archdiocese, he said.

So, pass the buck/blame down to the parishes?

I'll repeat what I said in the Elder Enrollment Strategy thread:

Seems like this is going to follow the tried and true Schnurr playbook of pass the buck and blame the subordinates. If I’m remembering correctly, Beacons is designed to create the parish families with multiple church buildings/schools, one priest and then make the priest and parish councils decide which churches and/or schools are axed. Like Pilate, Schnurr can just wash his hands of it.

I'll repeat what I said in the Elder Enrollment Strategy thread:
This is totally true. Of course what will also happen will be for new parishes to have pressure from the archdiocese to reduce expenses. If the archdiocese only assigns a new parish two priests then they can only have 6 masses per Sunday. It’s pretty clear that closing campuses will happen due to this.

This is totally true. Of course what will also happen will be for new parishes to have pressure from the archdiocese to reduce expenses. If the archdiocese only assigns a new parish two priests then they can only have 6 masses per Sunday. It’s pretty clear that closing campuses will happen due to this.
Correct. And that's if the parish family is one of the lucky ones that will be assigned two priests.

I think Parish's will close - as I suggested before, a committee of each Parish will be formed from each Parish. They will have a road map/decision tree to follow in pulling together the Parish's. once the criteria is met, consolidation will occur. But it will be the Parish's final decision to consolidate which is consistent with how AoC's always operated. The encouraging news out of this is it appears the AoC will not micromanaging the Parish affairs.

Correct. And that's if the parish family is one of the lucky ones that will be assigned two priests.
I believe that each parish family will be assigned 2 priests however the 3 masses per priest limit on the weekends will limit how many masses can be celebrated within a family. My opinion as far as closing schools/churches is that will be left up to the families. If a family wants to financially support keeping buildings open (salary for a maintenance person, grass cutting and yard maintenance, major repair costs, etc) that would be up to them. For instance St. Simon has a church that is used twice on the weekends and once during the week. The family would have to decide if it would be fiscally responsible to maintain a building that may even be used less than 3 times a week. While parishioners may not want their church or school to close but are they willing to pony up the $$$ to keep them open?

The word is that Schnurr doesn't want the closing of multiple churches/schools to be his legacy----right!!!!

Yea what's the point of consolidating into "parish families" if they aren't planning on closing schools/churches? I thought the whole purpose was to save money/resources/ priests schedules etc?

I thought the purpose was to close some smaller and less fruitful existing parishes and merge them into another one two or three parishes to give them the chance to be more successful?

Yea what's the point of consolidating into "parish families" if they aren't planning on closing schools/churches? I thought the whole purpose was to save money/resources/ priests schedules etc?

I thought the purpose was to close some smaller and less fruitful existing parishes and merge them into another one two or three parishes to give them the chance to be more successful?
St. William/St, Theresa has already used the process to save money for both communities. Our schools are still healthy and independent and our worship space has been and will continue to be maintained by their respective congregations but the administrative costs have been substantially reduced as a result of merging the religious and administrative staff.

I was saying that they do not check attenance.

Also, info have a different experience since my wife worked in a Catholic school in the Archdiocese for years. They were very intrusive. You couldn't publicly question the church, wouldn't pay for birth control or sterilization (even when pregnancy would be life threatening), and you most certainly could not support your gay cousins openly. People were fired for such infractions. So yes, I consider that pretty intrusive.
Well why would a priest get arrested for solicitation of a male prostitute yet still continue to be a priest? Isn't that more concerning than a couple living together?
I know who you’re talking about. He has Mass at several parishes and is not allowed to be near children.

ESTATE PLANNING: If you have a bequest going to your parish you better consult your estate planner. The last,thing you want is the Archdiocese determining where your bequest goes in the event of a closure.

Name a church and I've been to either a funeral or wedding there. I mean they are different, vastly different. Every priest puts their own spin on it.

So explain why a priest would marry a couple that lives together..... That is ? against Catholic teachings. There are priests that marry couples who openly say they have pre-marital sex or use contraception during their meetings with the priest. Please explain why that is ok.
About outreach, when was the last time you saw a priest doing outreach? When was the last time you saw a priest at a parish athletic event? When was the last time a priest led any kind of group that the parish has such as a book study or whatnot? They have volunteers do all that.

I never said churches shouldnt charge. I said. They don't care if the couple is
practicing the Catholic faith. They just want the check. And the charge is always more than the utilities and whatnot, that's why they are eager to get anyone wanting their church.... It fills the coffers.
“use contraception during their meetings with the priest.”
When I was in Catholic school, 1950s, the understand was that you have the kids and the Church gives them a free or low cost Catholic education. This can not apply now - given tuition costs. Simply put, the church needs to stay out of parishioners birth control matters. there’s a family of seven children in our parish and obviously they practice rhythm but the other sever families of two kids are doing thee right thing considering tuition costs.

It’s going to be hilarious the sports turf wars that ensue with all of this and all the daddies try to hold onto their control.

It’s going to be hilarious the sports turf wars that ensue with all of this and all the daddies try to hold onto their control.

I think this is a bit absurd. Sure, there are some crazies, but youth sports is about allowing the kids to play and 98 percent of those of us involved are there for that reason. I will say this: the St. Al's Athletic Association is more than 100 years old and I'm sure there are some even older. That will be sad if and when they start falling ... not hilarious.

You relish this type of stuff. It's a character flaw for sure.

I think this is a bit absurd. Sure, there are some crazies, but youth sports is about allowing the kids to play and 98 percent of those of us involved are there for that reason. I will say this: the St. Al's Athletic Association is more than 100 years old and I'm sure there are some even older. That will be sad if and when they start falling ... not hilarious.

He does enjoy any disruption to the status quo. Why he would get enjoyment from an athletic association folding that has been doing good things for the kids for over 100 years old is beyond me?

The westside prides itself on tradition and it definitely feels like tradition is losing its way. Tradition is often the link to pride/caring/passion. As tradition goes so can that.

UCArch can't hide his giddiness.

I love sports - the parents usually ruin it however. It’s turned more into politics, fights, arguments, and shady business because people are so consumed with getting theirs and less concerned with teamwork, developing kids and having fun.

selfishness now leads the way and it is sad. But it’s mostly self inflicted.

Yes, I felt this way when I saw 100 year old youth football programs fold. You have to be a real a..hole to get any enjoyment from that. Enter UCArch, stage right.

My involvement in youth sports is nowhere near as extensive as yours and others here. I agree, from my observations, that ~98% of coaches are in it for the right reason. For parents, I think that % is lower but still the majority have their kids in it for the right reasons. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, I felt this way when I saw 100 year old youth football programs fold. You have to be a real a..hole to get any enjoyment from that. Enter UCArch, stage right.
Like I said, a lot is self inflicted.

I remember the “pure” days as well, and they were better. But that has long past. With the way parents are today, I don’t see it going back.

Sports are now viewed as a ticket to something else. It is a shame - but I do find it pathetic the way parents act nowadays, and is the source of my frustration with a lot of the angst I post on here.

You read about fights every weekend. You read about theft of league funds all the time. You watch people abuse their kids when they don’t play well. You watch dads try to shuffle the deck to make sure their kid gets the upper hand. You watch dads throw other kids under the bus so their kid can make the “good” team. You see friendships being destroyed over taking a kids spot on a team maliciously. All the dads working behind the scenes.

It’s all turned into a damn cesspool. And parents are to blame.

You read about fights every weekend.

You do not. When was the last time you attended a GCYL football game, a CWBC baseball game or a Western Conference basketball game? There are random stories here and there and, yes, it's a problem ... especially as it pertains to refs and coaches. But you take this anecdotal evidence and apply it to the system as a whole, which is absurd and wholly unfair.

As an athletics board member, two-sport coordinator and three-sport coach, I can tell you unequivocally that you are full of shet. It is not self-inflicted. It is reality-of-the-world-today-inflicted and it's up to those of us involved to figure out a fix.

You know, I'm not an Elder guy, so they can ban me from the forum if needed and I'll be cool with it. You're an arse who brings nothing here but conflict and irrational contrarianism for the sake of something to do all day. At best, you're in need of a life. At worst, you may need some therapy.

Reactions: 4GX
You do not. When was the last time you attended a GCYL football game, a CWBC baseball game or a Western Conference basketball game? There are random stories here and there and, yes, it's a problem ... especially as it pertains to refs and coaches. But you take this anecdotal evidence and apply it to the system as a whole, which is absurd and wholly unfair.

As an athletics board member, two-sport coordinator and three-sport coach, I can tell you unequivocally that you are full of shet. It is not self-inflicted. It is reality-of-the-world-today-inflicted and it's up to those of us involved to figure out a fix.

You know, I'm not an Elder guy, so they can ban me from the forum if needed and I'll be cool with it. You're an arse who brings nothing here but conflict and irrational contrarianism for the sake of something to do all day. At best, you're in need of a life. At worst, you may need some therapy.
I’m talking about youth sports in general. Not much physical fighting in the westside leagues, but daddy’s behind the scenes in spades.

Calm down there big fella.

It’s not self inflicted? Who is causing parents to act like this? I guess ref shortages because of idiot parents are made up too.

Another person saying something blatantly obvious is made up. Yet I need therapy.

I stand by what I wrote.
It’s funny you think I care. Blast me all you want.

Again, pretty simple. Just put me on ignore or don’t respond to me. It’s not my fault your persona cant stop you from responding because it likely hits home with you.

You’re likely one of those daddies behind the scenes.

Trey or Pboy must be at it again??‍♂️ Great post!