Baltimore student passes 3 classes in 4 years!!

Baltimore City third in U.S. for per-pupil spending
Baltimore City Public Schools continue to rank among the highest spenders in the U.S. on a per-student basis, placing third among the 100 biggest school systems during fiscal year 2017.

City schools spent $16,184 per pupil, according to data released Tuesday by the Census Bureau, up 6.7% from last year when the school system ranked fifth nationally. Baltimore City is the 40th-largest elementary and secondary public school district in the U.S. with 82,354 students. Four Maryland school districts ranked among the top 10 nationally, compared to five a year ago.

I don't have the time to look it up but Bill Maher pointed to a survey during his cancel culture rant that 65% of Americans are afraid to say how they feel openly. Something to that affect. We have gotten to the point where you are a "insert term here" (racist, bigot, sexist, whatever) for being honest. People are losing their jobs over this sort of thing so it is easier to shut up and nod. And it is ALWAYS someone else's fault.

We will never get anywhere until we can have honest dialgoue.
Are we beyond ever having an honest dialogue in this country again?

Until we have honest discussions on politicians keeping minorities down nothing will change. The Dem party you love so much has done nothing for minorities except pandering to them for votes. How long have the inner cities been a cesspool? They have had almost 100% Dem leadership for the last fifty years. The public school systems are also run by bureaucrats that talk a good game and don’t deliver. Until a large segment of the minority population changes their culture, and they way they vote, you’re right nothing will change
Lots of truth here I cannot argue. I am a Dem because of Labor. I have made this very known. The Building Trades Unions have provided middle class benefits to generations and I want it to stay that way. Urban political machines and public service unions have their issues, no doubt.

I hope not. Let's quit canceling everyone and ask them WHY they feel the way they do. I'd rather have dialgoue and try to understand why than cancel you.

I've said countless times on this site that the attack on free speech from all sides is very concerning at the moment.

Lots of truth here I cannot argue. I am a Dem because of Labor. I have made this very known. The Building Trades Unions have provided middle class benefits to generations and I want it to stay that way. Urban political machines and public service unions have their issues, no doubt.
There are fundamental problems with our government that have no bearing on which party we are talking about. Our system is broken and the Federal government in particular is beyond repair at this point

I hope not. Let's quit canceling everyone and ask them WHY they feel the way they do. I'd rather have dialgoue and try to understand why than cancel you.

I've said countless times on this site that the attack on free speech from all sides is very concerning at the moment.
It’s a normal progression towards a society staring down an upheaval in the form of government that’s in power. All through history groups that are looking for a change in government have shouted down the majority who stay silent as you’ve said. It’s human nature and our time has come, or so it seems.

"Who do he turn to," indeed ? Dad's apparently AWOL. Mom "seems" to care, but is apparently too ignorant, tired, and/or stressed to ask questions when she sees him get promoted despite failing grades. The teachers are too lazy or burned out to truly help him, and too afraid of litigation to fail him (traumatizing him, endangering others kids by having 20 year olds in 10 grade, etc.). The school district must be busy fudging standardized test data and convincing politicians they need more tax dollars. And half his classmates are in the same sinking boat. God help them, and all of us!

My wife was a teacher at a Catholic grade school. She said she didn't know of cases this bad, but she did know that a blue-ribbon school system in SWO wouldn't hold a student back a grade once the student was more than two years older than the norm. Kids that failed as 8th graders at her school who had also repeated an early grade were put in 9th grade, whether or not they did the summer make-up work they were supposed to do.

What do you want people to say? Or what are you looking to bait them into saying? Pretty obvious here that all parties are to blame. Kid, mom and school all played a part in this shitshow.

They are probably looking for someone to say institutional racism isn't the cause of this but almost certainly the alarming frequency of single parent households in the black community. It's a shame that community gets mired down in identity politics with representation that has no interest in fixing the issue. The black community deserves better.

I don't have the time to look it up but Bill Maher pointed to a survey during his cancel culture rant that 65% of Americans are afraid to say how they feel openly. Something to that affect. We have gotten to the point where you are a "insert term here" (racist, bigot, sexist, whatever) for being honest. People are losing their jobs over this sort of thing so it is easier to shut up and nod. And it is ALWAYS someone else's fault.

We will never get anywhere until we can have honest dialgoue.
Thank your leftist buddies.

More likely is he is washing dishes at the hotel he works at
quoted for irony.
You are beyond having honest dialogue. There's hope for others. All you do is troll people whose opinions you do not agree with or the way they phrase them or just because. You're only goal seems to be to shut down discussion.

I recognize the usual narrative against public schools. The kid only passes 3 classes in 4 years. That means the district/school set a standard the kid didn't meet and didn't pass him. They held the line. Failure would have been this kid walking the stage. The district didn't fail THIS kid. For four years they reported he wasn't earning his credit.

Is the desperate desire to find support for the usual narrative blinding people that this is not support for those narratives?

Here is where your problem lies
Her son's records show in his first three years at Augusta Fells, he failed 22 classes and was late or absent 272 days. But in those three years, only one teacher requested a parent conference,

Do you think if the teachers had requested the conferences, does this sound like a parent that (giving her credit for being of honest intentions) would have saw the desperate need? The parent saw the failures and requested not one conference? Most school districts have "parent nights." I can't imagine a district that doesn't. Those are conferences. I would bet BPS has parent nights. Guess who didn't go?

Giving this poor lady credit that she did have an honest misunderstanding of matriculation. It is standard practice to give students opportunity to not fall behind by making up credits at the same time keeping the four year pace. It's an unfortunate practice but forced on most districts as four year matriculation stats are part of their report card.

Last edited:

Ranks 62 out of 120............LMFAO...........WTF.............Game Over.
thinking like a liberal here....... "well, why don't we just give the Baltimore schools system another $25 Billion and that should stop this from EVER happening again."

thinking like a liberal here....... "well, why don't we just give the Baltimore schools system another $25 Billion and that should stop this from EVER happening again."

I'm sure some private school will use a voucher to enroll this student and use their superior educational methods to graduate this kid.

Wow, so much wrong with that.
1) They won't enroll him or any of those others.
2) even if they did, the kid would graduate but wouldn't be anymore educated. That's how they get their four years of government money to do less than that "failing" public school.

If you want to see the first reason for rising per pupil costs, compare the number of administrators per pupil now versus say, 20 years ago. Where does the buck stop in an accomplished organization? At the lowest levels or at the leadership? Well in education, for the politically motivated crowd it seems to stop at the practioner, not the administrator. Get the public, which BTW includes people who send their kids to private schools to put the pressure on better administration and you'll get better and lower cost education.

But they won't do that. The government pork and welfare into the private education business is too attractive. They do not want to bite the hand that feeds them by insisting public schools do better. They only want to SAY they want public schools do better but not do anything to make that happen.

quoted for irony.
You are beyond having honest dialogue. There's hope for others. All you do is troll people whose opinions you do not agree with or the way they phrase them or just because. You're only goal seems to be to shut down discussion.
From you, absolutely

From you, absolutely

and yet you do not seem to have the maturity to even say why. You play keyboard warrier. Was there some dispute I don't recall? Some major difference of opinion? Did I insult you somewhere along the way? If so, what was it?

and yet you do not seem to have the maturity to even say why. You play keyboard warrier. Was there some dispute I don't recall? Some major difference of opinion? Did I insult you somewhere along the way? If so, what was it?
Your self importance offends me, you can’t answer anyone unless it’s some rambling bs diatribe. In other words, you bore me. As an aside, I wasn’t the one who attacked first itt

I'm sure some private school will use a voucher to enroll this student and use their superior educational methods to graduate this kid.

Wow, so much wrong with that.
1) They won't enroll him or any of those others.
2) even if they did, the kid would graduate but wouldn't be anymore educated. That's how they get their four years of government money to do less than that "failing" public school.

If you want to see the first reason for rising per pupil costs, compare the number of administrators per pupil now versus say, 20 years ago. Where does the buck stop in an accomplished organization? At the lowest levels or at the leadership? Well in education, for the politically motivated crowd it seems to stop at the practioner, not the administrator. Get the public, which BTW includes people who send their kids to private schools to put the pressure on better administration and you'll get better and lower cost education.

But they won't do that. The government pork and welfare into the private education business is too attractive. They do not want to bite the hand that feeds them by insisting public schools do better. They only want to SAY they want public schools do better but not do anything to make that happen.

I will engage to your first point. I agree with you on this particular student, neither he or his mother seemed to take much interest in his education.
There are however, other kids that do want to learn, but are unable to due to disruptions and other barriers on gaining the education they want to receive. I have heard firsthand from students that attended Western Hills High School, about how frustrating it was to get threatened when telling other students that they were trying to hear the teacher, and weren't able to because of loud talking, music playing etc. These kids should have an opportunity to attend voucher institutions, and in my opinion could not be any worst off than they were at Western Hills. Not only do the students and the parents benefit from choosing the education that fits their needs, society benefits from a well rounded, educated individual that will grow to be a productive member of society. Once again, I do not give a damn about the teachers unions, just like they don't care about the kids. I care about the students and betterment of society. Finally, the taxpayers would benefit from the price per student, more than likely costing less than the underachieving government run schools

I will engage to your first point. I agree with you on this particular student, neither he or his mother seemed to take much interest in his education.
There are however, other kids that do want to learn, but are unable to due to disruptions and other barriers on gaining the education they want to receive. I have heard firsthand from students that attended Western Hills High School, about how frustrating it was to get threatened when telling other students that they were trying to hear the teacher, and weren't able to because of loud talking, music playing etc. These kids should have an opportunity to attend voucher institutions, and in my opinion could not be any worst off than they were at Western Hills. Not only do the students and the parents benefit from choosing the education that fits their needs, society benefits from a well rounded, educated individual that will grow to be a productive member of society. Once again, I do not give a damn about the teachers unions, just like they don't care about the kids. I care about the students and betterment of society. Finally, the taxpayers would benefit from the price per student, more than likely costing less than the underachieving government run schools

If you care about the betterment of society, wouldn't you care about ALL kids? That ALL kids could have access to that restrictive private society? You think the ones private schools take in are the only ones that want to learn? So how in walk with Jesus does a Catholic school pick which of those kids to let in with vouchers and which not to? We know they are not interested in taking in ALL God's children. They have a history of not even taking in all God's well behaved children. All God's believers. That has never been the entrance requirement for any of the Catholic run schools HERE. I dont know about THERE.

And that is my ONLY basis for saying private entities should not be getting tax dollars. Any school can dismiss a disruptive student but yes, you have to let them in and give them guidance and a chance first. Isn't that just a bit closer to what Jesus taught?

The only objection I made to those claiming better quality of education at their private institutions, it's facade to claim your education method better or your teachers better or even your social skills building better when you do not do it on equal footing. It's like saying the Calculus teachers are better than the Applied Math teacher because their kids come out knowing more Math. It's private school supporters ignoring the real world.

If the Catholic Church (or any private entity) wanted to run schools for the public, lottery enrollment so they could even pick how big a school they wanted to run, not pick and choose who they let in, you would not see me saying they should not have access to public funds. You would not see me betting against them. You would not see me trying to inhibit them in any way.

Government hires private contractors all the time, but under public rules, regulations and verfication checks. I'm all for it. Then let's see if that supposedly superior education works?

Last edited:
"Government hires private contractors all the time, but under public rules, regulations and verfication checks. I'm all for it. Then let's see if that supposedly superior education works?"

BINGO.

I'm all for new ideas and methods but using the Ohio money grab voucher system as any kind of poster child is a joke.