Badin Schedule?

Who are some key players in this game tomorrow for both teams??? Who is pitching for Badin and McNick?

Dylan Sears for McNick is an excellent hitter. He is 4th in the GCL in BA, tied for 1st in HR and in 1st for RBI. McNick scores a lot of runs. With McKinney not on the mound, I just think McNick will be able to squeeze by.

Back to that one run jibberish ... yea go look back at the one-run victories at home I'm pretty sure that it hard during a time game going into the bottom of the seventh to win a game by more than one run unless its a walk off homerun! And what coach in Butler County doesn't know half of the umpires? I mean we're talking about Badin HS here boys not the Midland Redkins baseball!

Speaking of 'jibberish' please proofread your post. I think you mean 'tie game' instead of 'time game'. On the other hand I'm not sure because what does a 'tie game going into the bottom of the seventh' have to do with a 1 run game? Games that end with a difference of 1 run don't have to be a tie in the seventh (other than at 0-0 they may never have been a tie during the rest of the game).

My point is that statistically it is not likely that a team would win so many 1 run games. When you factor in where the games were played, the home field advantage seems to factor heavily at Badin.

It looks like they could've used some of those Butler County umpires that you speak about in the 1 run game against McNicholas...:stirthepot:

It was a great game well played by both sides. McFarland pitched for Badin Linneman pitched for McNick (niether # 1's I was told). Badin hit 0 hard balls, a couple of erros and walks by McNick scored both runs, McNick hit about 3 good ones, the major blow was a 1 out double by R Haynes off the right center fence that eventually led to the winning run.
Badin fans were typical selves whining for every call now that they were not playing at Alumni field and actually had to play an even game. And McNick students were very spirited as well.
Badin is D-3 and should roll to Regionals.
McNick is D-2 and should also move on fairly easily to regionals where they will have a much tougher opponent in either Kenton Ridge, Bellefontaine, or Ben Logan.
Monroe was 10 runned by McNick, so should not be much trouble for Badin, though I think Monroe is D-2 as well.
Very evenly matched teams though, Sears was much better than Cassano. Seems Cassano has a case of the Basil where he can't throw it back to pitcher. That will be the reason the Rams could get upset early!

State champ-what is up with the Badin parent's whining comment? All losing teams whine or so it seems, not just the Rams. Does Badin really get that many calls at Alumni Field? That's a home field advantage in itself, that opponents actually believe it. Also to put Cassano in the same company as Basil is a pretty fair compliment.
How good were the respective pitchers?

I also think the Badin fans tend to be some of the biggest whiners. Even while they were knocking Carroll around pretty good they were cackling about just about every pitch that didn't get called a strike and any close plays that didn't go their way.

Heck, last year they barely beat Carroll up at our place (2-1, both runs unearned) and they complained that the mound was 4 feet short of 60' feet...supposedly a Badin parent came back and measured it. Happen to know that it IS regulation, but it really made me shake my head when I heard that. The funniest part is that we didn't move the mound back every inning, so even if it HAD been a 56' foot mound, BOTH pitchers would have been throwing the same distance.

As for who Badin would play out of our Sectional, don't be surprised if it is none of the 3 teams you mentioned and is instead Tipp City. They beat Kenton Ridge just the other day and probably play a tougher schedule than any of those other teams (T.C. also beat Northmont and Butler). Carroll is also in that sectional, but I just don't think we have the pitching to pull off an upset any of those teams.

Badin is DIII, the schools you referrred to are DII. I guess the complaining goes hand in hand with the winning, no doubt. People just don't like those that win alot and the Rams sure have that area cornered.

So it's not a fair compliment? I am confused once again. I know perfectly well what he is referring to with regard to J. Basil and I'm not sure that belongs on here.

Cassano is a fine player and I wish him luck if he does attend Dayton from what I hear... but Badin Is Badin it does not matter which sport it is they are perceived as whiners and they get this label honestly... they are probably the most hated school in butler county by the county rivals its just the nature of the beast!!!! everyone wants to beat badin!!!!!does not matter if they are good or if they bad you always want to beat their in the dirt!!!!

Cassano is a fine player and I wish him luck if he does attend Dayton from what I hear... but Badin Is Badin it does not matter which sport it is they are perceived as whiners and they get this label honestly... they are probably the most hated school in butler county by the county rivals its just the nature of the beast!!!! everyone wants to beat badin!!!!!does not matter if they are good or if they bad you always want to beat their in the dirt!!!!

Butler County teams don't beat Badin too often in any sport... well the main sports anyway... baseball, basketball, football. That is why everyone loves to hate on Badin!

Aren't you a Hamilton guy? WIth a district that includes Hamilton and Fairfield I think it is a stretch to critisize whining from ANY other school. That is like the pot calling the kettle black. :stirthepot:

GCPRO, Cassano was very good watching him as a junior, I'm not sure if he looks 100% healthy since the ankle injury, because the 4 games I have seen recently he is not nearly the same. And we all know the comparison to Basil, and it is a fair comment, I think when you look at that team it is the 1 thing that could get exposed by a good base stealing team. Now a straight steal he is a legit 2.0 to second, but any kind of delay steal the ball will either roll to second or end up in CF.
The word is out the Badin fans really give the city of Hamilton and the school a bad image. I watched the Badin-Moeller, Badin-X game, the Badin-McNick game, and the Badin-Ross game. Every game was whining and crying over every single call that did not go there way. Some making an absolute fool over themselves, even observed Kunkel apologizing to McNick coaches over FIRST INNING outbursts!!! Now the Ross game I gave a pass to because the Ross parents were just about as bad. :wallbang:
And it is an obvious advantage when playing at home, the field is fair (no short fences, plenty of foul territory) but in my 17 years of watching high school baseball have yet to see a fair game called up there. I used to think it was all Coach Maus, but it is obviously something more!
Again, I still think Badin is the top team in D-3 and should run away to the regional finals, but I have to wonder about the future, a parent told me the incoming class has only 72 kids??? You wonder how long they can keep this up with a quickly declining enrollment!

WOW! How did this get off on a whiner tangent, but since it has.......
Dawg-no doubt that the county area schools have that hatred, I have felt for over 40 years, yet I am not sure if it has anything to do with whining. Maybe this group is worse than alot but have you been to a HHS basketball game in like the last 100 years. Good Lord! They take it to a whole different level.
IMHO-not sure if it is the case anymore but there were no bigger group of whiners than the ole Bombers themselves not too long ago. Any GCL south school will attest to that.
I have only attended one Badin game this season so I cannot comment on the present group but I just don't see where the whining comes from. Yet maybe I have my green blinders on.

The declining enrollment is a major issue for Badin yet they will continue to get good baseball players. The area is ripe for them. That entire program is from Hamilton/FF catholic feeder schools and I know of two other area kids that attended those same schools that are excelling at county HS that would be great fits for the Rams. The declining enrollment will hurt the football program more than anything. They will be DV next year.

WOW! How did this get off on a whiner tangent, but since it has.......
Dawg-no doubt that the county area schools have that hatred, I have felt for over 40 years, yet I am not sure if it has anything to do with whining. Maybe this group is worse than alot but have you been to a HHS basketball game in like the last 100 years. Good Lord! They take it to a whole different level.
IMHO-not sure if it is the case anymore but there were no bigger group of whiners than the ole Bombers themselves not too long ago. Any GCL south school will attest to that.
I have only attended one Badin game this season so I cannot comment on the present group but I just don't see where the whining comes from. Yet maybe I have my green blinders on.

The declining enrollment is a major issue for Badin yet they will continue to get good baseball players. The area is ripe for them. That entire program is from Hamilton/FF catholic feeder schools and I know of two other area kids that attended those same schools that are excelling at county HS that would be great fits for the Rams. The declining enrollment will hurt the football program more than anything. They will be DV next year.

I am not going to get into the whining debate. I just find it funny that a fan from Hamilton ( and I believe an old Ross guy also) would talk about any other program in that lite. If you go back and read my post that is what I posted - no reason to bring others into the discussion as for some reason unknown to me you seem to like to do.

I think Badin's run in baseball will be determined by whether they produce another stud pitcher like McKinney. With him they have a pitcher that can hold the GCL S teams down. In the past 3 years I believe he has pitched just about every game against the GCL S schools. Am I wrong? Do they have another on the horizon?

They have a nice lefty that is a sophomore, 6'5 kid that plays basektball, I have not seen him but understand he could be pretty special. Their sophomore class is really talented but not sure of the pitching strength. They have 2 freshmen infielders that are very good and I know at least one 8th grade kid that is very good.

I have no idea what will happen however with the enrollment. Hamilton is a dying city and the powers at be at Badin just keep jacking up the tuition. Fenwick is a nice alternative for those out towards West Chester. The Fairfield kids will always gravitate towards X or Moeller. That leaves the Hamilton kids with no alternative when/if the school closes.

IMHO-sorry to include you in my rants, I misread your post, my bad

It's not just a Badin thing. It's every sporting event I ever attended. Most of the of this talk of Badin is because everyone targets the winners. Especially when you're on the losing side. There is and always will be those making excuses for losing. funny thing is the umpires and refs for the school events travel around, so that stupid talk is another excuse for losing. The whining and crying from the parents starts at little league, pee-wee football and soccer and continues on through college. That's a parent and fan thing. It's no more or less in Ohio than any other state in the USA.

It's not just a Badin thing. It's every sporting event I ever attended. Most of the of this talk of Badin is because everyone targets the winners. Especially when you're on the losing side. There is and always will be those making excuses for losing. funny thing is the umpires and refs for the school events travel around, so that stupid talk is another excuse for losing. The whining and crying from the parents starts at little league, pee-wee football and soccer and continues on through college. That's a parent and fan thing. It's no more or less in Ohio than any other state in the USA.

The biggest whiners I've run into during my years following my son in youth leagues...are Fairfield and Mason. I haven't run into a Fairfield team this season, but I know some of the parents, and I think things may have improved. I don't know how that translates to the High School, but just look
at any Fairfield thread...it's pretty much locked down by the mods by post #30.

The Mason parents were the most unbelievable I've ever seen, IMO.
Some of the things they chose to whine about were WAYYY over the top.
I could make it a class warfare issue, but the folks in West Chester are some of the nicest and polite fans I've ever run into..so money has nothing to do with it.

If you will look at some of the issues coming out of Mason these days...
Felony charges against kids who unplug buses...The sexting controversy,
serious charges from a food fight...and you realize there is a serious Mommy culture in Mason. How it got there, I don't know.

Again....as far as home field advantage....Badin could have played all games on top of Mt. Rumpke, and the record would remain the same. Stop the hating and enjoy a good team when you see it!

I will say I watched a Badin girls tournament soccer game a year ago and also watched the Badin-Fenwick girls basketball game and it was ridiculous the way the fans behaved. I had never seen anything remotely close to that at a boys game in any sport. At the Fenwick basektball game, groups of opposing parents were going at each other. Just terrible, terrible sportsmanship. Maybe the original poster has a point and I am clueless.

I am not going to get into the whining debate. I just find it funny that a fan from Hamilton ( and I believe an old Ross guy also) would talk about any other program in that lite. If you go back and read my post that is what I posted - no reason to bring others into the discussion as for some reason unknown to me you seem to like to do.

I think Badin's run in baseball will be determined by whether they produce another stud pitcher like McKinney. With him they have a pitcher that can hold the GCL S teams down. In the past 3 years I believe he has pitched just about every game against the GCL S schools. Am I wrong? Do they have another on the horizon?

I will state this this I dont hate any school, I played for Big Blue In the late 80's and trust me there we only 3 teams we really wanted to beat Moeller, Badin and Fairfield of course my 2 years we did win the GMC title in 87 and 88 and we were a pretty strong group now Hamilton has that rich tradition also, baseball Teams in SWO will always will want to beat the Blue even if they were 1-20 it does come from winning and putting a competitive product out there every year.........the blue is .500 this year and teams still act like they win the world series .....

Badin has nothing to worry about. They will reload and have a few studs coming onboard in the next couple of years. Next year may be rough but you can bet they will be back. I am a Big Blue fan for the record.

As for whining, all fans whine, pittsburgh fans whine, chicago fans whine, new york fans whine, part of the game. In all honesty, the game would be so much less exciting without screaming fans from the other team to hate. Unfortunately for those of you who are above complaining or whining, you lack passion.

...So it's not a fair compliment? I am confused once again. I know perfectly well what he is referring to with regard to J. Basil and I'm not sure that belongs on here.

I don't know Cassano at all. My reply was intented to mean that comparing any catcher's thows to J. Basil's, while it might be "fair", is certainly no compliment imo. If you are still confused then I don't really believe that you "know perfectly well what he is referring to..." Most other comparisons would probably be a compliment.

As for whether or not it belongs on here, it's just someone's opinion. And I believe it falls under the realm of the play on the field, and not a player's personal life, so now I'm :confused:

FWIW-I know perfectly well what Jason Basil suffered through as a catcher, most of that has nothing to do with physical ability. With regard to the Badin catcher, I have no idea what he is going through. He is obviously not as talented as the Basil kid, but I have no intimate knowledge what his issue is. Just doesn't feel it belongs on here. I hope it works at for all.

GCPRO, Cassano was very good watching him as a junior, I'm not sure if he looks 100% healthy since the ankle injury, because the 4 games I have seen recently he is not nearly the same. And we all know the comparison to Basil, and it is a fair comment, I think when you look at that team it is the 1 thing that could get exposed by a good base stealing team. Now a straight steal he is a legit 2.0 to second, but any kind of delay steal the ball will either roll to second or end up in CF

I haven't been compelled to register and make any posts in the long time I've been reading Yappi, but sometimes you just read stuff and wonder what in the world people are thinking. I've been scouting GCL games for a coaching buddy of mine for several years, and I've seen Badin and McNick play each other twice this year and play a couple other games as well. In the catcher comparison, Sears is the better hitter, Cassano is the better catcher. I like Sears’ swing and his approach at the plate, though he did very little in the two games against Badin. Cassano is the best total package defensive catcher I’ve seen in the GCL, arm strength, accuracy, blocking, quickness, reaction, hustle, toughness, handling pitchers. I like Goubeaux from Fenwick as well. Take a gander at the league website and you’ll see that Sears has seven errors. Seven. That’s a huge number for a C for an entire season, and there’s still a lot of ball to be played. The hesitation throw thing, you see that occasionally with catchers. No explanation for it I’ve been told. There’s a difference between the throw-it-to-the-pitcher-wildly catchers and the herkyjerky-throwing-it-back catchers where the ball gets there fine 99.9 percent of the time. Cassano’s in the latter, so it looks weird, annoying to watch, but rarely affects anything. He appears to have the same issue at times throwing around the horn after strikeouts, affects nothing as well. I would think Badin would love teams to try any kind of stealing, they're not likely to be successful very often. McN is more likely to get upset early in the tournament with Sears’ growing list of E’s than Badin losing because Cassano throws strangely back to the pitcher. I can say that with confidence as a fan of neither team.

Last edited:
FWIW-I know perfectly well what Jason Basil suffered through as a catcher, most of that has nothing to do with physical ability. With regard to the Badin catcher, I have no idea what he is going through. He is obviously not as talented as the Basil kid, but I have no intimate knowledge what his issue is. Just doesn't feel it belongs on here. I hope it works at for all.

I have no idea whether or not "He is obviously not as talented as the Basil kid". I think a high school player is too young to make that kind of conclusion. Though I have no problem with your opinion, I'm a bit surprised that you feel that kind of comment belongs on here.

Agree 100% in hoping that it works out for all...

Jason Basil was a Georgia Tech signee, I believe drafted out of HS and again out of GT. I don't think Tony is in that class and certainly wasn't trying to knock him, just is what it is.

Another thing to note about the McNick Badin game was that McNicks starting infielder and lead off hitter Andy Jostworth was unable to play due to suspension.. It was nice to see McNick be able to pull that win without a key factor to their team and looks like they will be making a return to regionals