Attention OHSAA, make the right call to move HSFB to April 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL players who opted out are gone, the college football season is about to go dark and the OHSAA wants to piecemeal the schedules of remaining participants with a 'make it up by the seat of your pants' tournament that is all about the money and not safety to the families, students and schools themselves. If the season is not moved to spring with an April, May, June calendar by midnight tonight, there will be lawyers lining up to play for this fall and we know how that will turn out. Helmets are worn for protection, how can you protect students and their families against what you can not see?
Move it or lose it, time for a uniform decision...
Turn out the lights OHSAA - it's a global pandemic.

So dumb!

The NFL players who opted out are gone, the college football season is about to go dark and the OHSAA wants to piecemeal the schedules of remaining participants with a 'make it up by the seat of your pants' tournament that is all about the money and not safety to the families, students and schools themselves. If the season is not moved to spring with an April, May, June calendar by midnight tonight, there will be lawyers lining up to play for this fall and we know how that will turn out. Helmets are worn for protection, how can you protect students and their families against what you can not see?

Yeah I am worried about lawsuits. Personally I’d love to have a season, but you have to have fans en masse to protect athletic departments budgets. The main reason this should be an exhibition only season is because if an outbreak hits a team then they’re screwed. So then what do the other teams do? This is too fluid a situation to plan on playoffs and championships, just play as many games as you can.

Seriously!? This is definitely an outlier case but your callous demeanor is scary.
Seriously? All deaths are unfortunate, but all risk cannot be eliminated. To think is can be, is really scary. The risk for COVID is tiny. 13,000 kids died from something other than COVID since Feb, and you think I'm being callous?

My apologies, you probably have no idea what callous means: Callous is showing or having an insensitive and cruel disregard for others. Your response to a seven year old dying is sickening

Do all of these young people merit your concern? They are the result of these ridiculous lock downs. You see, this isn't binary. Millions have been negatively impacted in a major way by shutting things down. Yet I am the callous one?

https://www.redstate.com/slee/2020/08/13/the-lockdown-is-making-young-people-want-to-die/

Telling someone you do not know, that you care more about something than they do, is a silly thing to say. And a terrible way to argue.

Do all of these young people merit your concern? They are the result of these ridiculous lock downs. You see, this isn't binary. Millions have been negatively impacted in a major way by shutting things down. Yet I am the callous one?

https://www.redstate.com/slee/2020/08/13/the-lockdown-is-making-young-people-want-to-die/

Telling someone you do not know, that you care more about something than they do, is a silly thing to say. And a terrible way to argue.

This is what I find so frustrating about some of the posters on this thread. They act as if it's a simple binary decision:

Option 1: Play the season and increase the risk of spreading covid and kids getting sick and even dying.

Option 2: Don't play and there is no risk.

Sure if you play there are heightened risks in the absolute. But the science is clear that those risks to the teenage demographic are minuscule.

If you don't play there is NO evidence that covid won't still be spread by this demographic. In fact common sense would indicate that the kids will still socialize among themselves violating all the mitigation rules. Playing or not playing won't impact the spread of covid.

The collateral damage of not playing is pretty obvious. From a growing sense of despair in a teenage demographic where suicide is already the 2nd leading cause of death to the frustration of losing out on the economic and educational opportunities that extracurricular activities give you. Remember the band kids also get scholarship offers for their work.

For a lot of kids the structure and experience of extracurricular activities is the only thing keeping them from falling between the educational & behavioral cracks and ruining their lives.

And let's not forget the invaluable life lessons taught by participation in extracurricular activities.

This decision must be made taking ALL factors into account and must reflect the least damaging choice for all involved. And if the decision is made this way I can't see how it doesn't allow extracurricular activities to proceed.

Not sure why you added so much irrelevant commentary and shows you were unable to comprehend my response. Only thing I commented about what your dismissive comment in regards to a 7 year old dying. That’s it and that’s all. Nothing else was said. Yes everyone is going to die and we take a lot of risks in life but to say what’s your point? about someone dying is callous! To justify your remark shows your lack of empathy. Let’s hear some more justification for your disregard of a 7 year old passing away.

Not sure why you added so much irrelevant commentary and shows you were unable to comprehend my response. Only thing I commented about what your dismissive comment in regards to a 7 year old dying. That’s it and that’s all. Nothing else was said. Yes everyone is going to die and we take a lot of risks in life but to say what’s your point? about someone dying is callous! To justify your remark shows your lack of empathy. Let’s hear some more justification for your disregard of a 7 year old passing away.
You are continuing to demonstrate your binary thinking. That the only thing that matters is COVID. No one should ever die form COVID, and all of our decisions should be driven in a direction that will stamp out COVID, nothing else matters. You have no idea how much empathy I have, and it is amazing that you think you do.

You are continuing to demonstrate your binary thinking. That the only thing that matters is COVID. No one should ever die form COVID, and all of our decisions should be driven in a direction that will stamp out COVID, nothing else matters. You have no idea how much empathy I have, and it is amazing that you think you do.
Again you miss the point. I am not worried about what caused the passing it’s that someone passed away and your response was what’s your point? If that shows empathy our perceptions are completely different. Keep justifying your comment though. Good job. Have a nice weekend.

Again you miss the point. I am not worried about what caused the passing it’s that someone passed away and your response was what’s your point? If that shows empathy our perceptions are completely different. Keep justifying your comment though. Good job. Have a nice weekend.
Look you can keep harping on about you having more empathy than me, but you can't actually know that, and it is completely silly to even think in those terms. The person offered up a fact, with no context. That was the reason for my question of, "what is your point?". Was he suggesting that since a 7 year old had died that we need to rethink what we are doing? Did he think that now all previous arguments were made moot? I'm guessing that since you know exactly how much empathy I have, you must also know what context was associated with his post.

This is what I find so frustrating about some of the posters on this thread. They act as if it's a simple binary decision:

Option 1: Play the season and increase the risk of spreading covid and kids getting sick and even dying.

Option 2: Don't play and there is no risk.

Sure if you play there are heightened risks in the absolute. But the science is clear that those risks to the teenage demographic are minuscule.

If you don't play there is NO evidence that covid won't still be spread by this demographic. In fact common sense would indicate that the kids will still socialize among themselves violating all the mitigation rules. Playing or not playing won't impact the spread of covid.

The collateral damage of not playing is pretty obvious. From a growing sense of despair in a teenage demographic where suicide is already the 2nd leading cause of death to the frustration of losing out on the economic and educational opportunities that extracurricular activities give you. Remember the band kids also get scholarship offers for their work.

For a lot of kids the structure and experience of extracurricular activities is the only thing keeping them from falling between the educational & behavioral cracks and ruining their lives.

And let's not forget the invaluable life lessons taught by participation in extracurricular activities.

This decision must be made taking ALL factors into account and must reflect the least damaging choice for all involved. And if the decision is made this way I can't see how it doesn't allow extracurricular activities to proceed.
There seems to be a fundamental disconnect in regards to their ability to see the larger picture. It is baffling.

So you still a coward and think we should push it back....?

Right now too many people tend to think decisions are made in a vacuum. They tend to focus on one issue and refuse too see how a decision on that one issue effects other things. This is perpetuated by our so called leaders from both sides that refuse to honestly level with the public and tell them the risk/reward, cost/benefit analysis of every decision made. I believe the forced shutdown and devastation of our economy, the quarantining of healthy people, the total disregard for personal responsibility and freedom, and the failure to realize that the cure is worse than the disease will someday be realized for the utter failure it was.

There seems to be a fundamental disconnect in regards to their ability to see the larger picture. It is baffling.

No, they get it, but they don't have another argument other than to attempt to shame someone that sees through the propaganda that's been shoveled our way since March.

"If you disagree, you don't care about grandma or a 7 year old".

If it's not a 7 year old, it's grandma or your elderly parents.
If it's not Kawasaki Disease, it's myocarditis.

Will be interesting to see what's on deck.

Last edited:

They have done better while in the program's guidlines.
The concern is how they will do when 30,000 other students arrive on campus, who are not bound by the same strict protocols.

The concern is how they will do when 30,000 other students arrive on campus, who are not bound by the same strict protocols.
Exactly, my point is the scholarship football team is not the problem. So to cancel football but bring in 30,000 paying customers may shed some light on some of the college presidents choices.

Exactly, my point is the scholarship football team is not the problem. So to cancel football but bring in 30,000 paying customers may shed some light on some of the college presidents choices.
They are cancelling football because they don't believe it's feasible to have a season once the team members are exposed again and again to the student body at large. There will be positive tests every week, most likely. Though I believe the biggest driver is fear of lawsuits.

New to this thread, but please consider this.

Yes, heart issues can also (though rarely) occur with the flu and pnuemonia . This happened to my brother. He’s fine, great shape, runs every day. I’m sorry for the family.

Word to the wise for those of us that are hopeful school and football can happen this Fall:
STOP GETTING TESTED. If you can't taste or have a severe sore throat, stay home and away from others. BUT FOR ALL THAT IS HOLY, STOP GETTING TESTED.

New to this thread, but please consider this.

Yes, this has been discussed. Her concerns are for something that the medical community is well aware, and happens with such benign infections as the common cold.

Seriously? All deaths are unfortunate, but all risk cannot be eliminated. To think is can be, is really scary. The risk for COVID is tiny. 13,000 kids died from something other than COVID since Feb, and you think I'm being callous?

As our President said of hundreds of thousands of severe covid illnesses hospitalizations and soon to be 200k+ deaths: "Is what it is".

They are cancelling football because they don't believe it's feasible to have a season once the team members are exposed again and again to the student body at large. There will be positive tests every week, most likely. Though I believe the biggest driver is fear of lawsuits.
According to what they are telling us fans, they are cancelling BIG football because of the potential risk of long term damage to the athletes heart if they test positive for the virus.

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere on this board so excuse me, but Yale and NBA have developed a new fast and inexpensive spit test to detect covid. This is the kind of breakthrough many of us (and hs football fans) have been trying to "hold the fort" for, and hoping for. Too bad it isn't still June. Will it be successful? I hope! Will it impact the decision whether to delay a bit longer? We shall see.

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere on this board so excuse me, but Yale and NBA have developed a new fast and inexpensive spit test to detect covid. This is the kind of breakthrough many of us (and hs football fans) have been trying to "hold the fort" for, and hoping for. Too bad it isn't still June. Will it be successful? I hope! Will it impact the decision whether to delay a bit longer? We shall see.
Seems the BIG may want to rethink their decision in light of this new test.

Dewine would have to disregard the ODH directive about testing before each game. How likely do you think it is Dewine will go against the ODH?

Dewine would have to disregard the ODH directive about testing before each game. How likely do you think it is Dewine will go against the ODH?
He already did when the ODH said no to Hydroxychloroquine to be dispensed in Ohio. He stopped that right quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.