Assistant Basketball Job for Graduating High School Senior

HubDog12

I am a graduating Senior from Hubbard High School (Trumbull County). I am attending Youngstown State University in the fall, and would like to be an assistant basketball coach somewhere in the area, where do I look? Who do I ask? How do I ask? I have a pretty good athletic resume which includes being a 3-year varsity starter in basketball. I just don't know where to start looking at who to come in contact with.

Start with your head coach, and athletic director. They should be able to guide you in the right direction. There are certifications and tests you'll have to apply for and pass. Also, check with somebody at the OHSAA.

Best quess for you would be through your hs coaching staff. They would have the contacts of the many coaches in your area. I’m sure many of them would be interested in someone with your playing background. Good luck.

I am a graduating Senior from Hubbard High School (Trumbull County). I am attending Youngstown State University in the fall, and would like to be an assistant basketball coach somewhere in the area, where do I look? Who do I ask? How do I ask? I have a pretty good athletic resume which includes being a 3-year varsity starter in basketball. I just don't know where to start looking at who to come in contact with.
Here's a good resource to see what's out there currently and when it was posted: https://www.ohsaa.org/School-Resources/Job-Openings

Get ahold of Coach Calhoun at YSU. Becoming a team manager with the program would be a great start to anyone's coaching career.

If you are looking for any experience coaching you may want to contact your local rec league or CYO or the like. They are always looking for non-parent coaches. At least they were at the time I was involved in it. And, as a younger man and as someone with a proven basketball background, you would connect with the players in a way that a parent-coach could not.

If you are looking for any experience coaching you may want to contact your local rec league or CYO or the like. They are always looking for non-parent coaches. At least they were at the time I was involved in it. And, as a younger man and as someone with a proven basketball background, you would connect with the players in a way that a parent-coach could not.
I've coached AAU teams without having a kid on the team. Parents seem to like that because it shows I really like coaching and working with the guys. Also takes daddy ball out of the picture.

Assisting a high school program is a tremendous time commitment so be sure you have the ability to schedule classes around practice etc. Also don't be surprised when you get offered a spot in middle school or lower level assistant spot in high school. Those spots are where the most turnover happens every year.

Get ahold of Coach Calhoun at YSU. Becoming a team manager with the program would be a great start to anyone's coaching career.
I would agree with this route -- getting your feet wet by being a team manager.

Assisting a high school program is a tremendous time commitment so be sure you have the ability to schedule classes around practice etc.
Echoing this: college is, in some ways, a different beast than high school when it comes to workload and life-navigation. You would be wise to not fly too close to the sun by trying to assist at a high school program while juggling the first couple semesters of college. Coaching basketball at high schools can wait 2-3 years-- your education cannot. You also don't want to run into some personal difficulties or general burnout with everything, and have that affect your reliability.

Manager for YSU is a great recommendation, if that is a path you wish to pursue.

May also check with schools in the area of YSU and ask about a volunteer assistant position, this would allow you to get your feet wet and see how it works with your school schedule without the time commitment of being a full time paid assistant. I started out as a volunteer assistant for a local school and that led to a FT position the next year, am now in my 18th year of coaching.

For a college student, I would strongly recommend trying to first go the route of being a manager, especially if attending a D1 school. IMO that is a much better starting block and learning opportunity than what you'll probably find is available to you elsewhere, and a better resume builder for down the road if you stay in coaching and want to someday be a high school head coach. I wish I would have gone that route starting off instead of volunteering for two years before getting my first paid position as a junior high coach.

A second thought, I would probably recommend just being a student for the first 2-3 semesters of college to 1) get used to the workload and life navigation and 2) focus on making meaningful friendships and bonds. Good college connections will be with you for life, and they are what will help you get through the hard times and obstacles in school and in early adulthood. You don't get that time back later on that you could have been spending meeting and getting to know those people.

Last edited: