Art Briles hired as HIGH SCHOOL Head Coach

brianwr112

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26815718/fired-baylor-coach-briles-lands-texas-hs-job

Art Briles, the former Baylor football coach who was fired three years ago amid a sexual assault scandal at the Baptist school, has been hired to lead an East Texas high school program.

Mount Vernon Independent School District Superintendent Jason McCullough announced Friday that the board of trustees had approved a two-year contract with Briles, who was 65-37 in eight seasons with Baylor. Before coaching in college, Briles had a successful 20-year career as a high school coach in Texas.

That's a hell of a message to send your young men and the community as a whole. May as well hire Ray Rice as your offensive coordinator.

I like that they announced it on a Friday night at 8pm, going into a holiday weekend. All the talk shows that would've made this a national story will have moved to something else by Tuesday.

I like that they announced it on a Friday night at 8pm, going into a holiday weekend. All the talk shows that would've made this a national story will have moved to something else by Tuesday.

I know this is all unseemly, but their school board meeting had been scheduled for Friday at 6pm for a long time. But unlike most schools in Texas nobody was leaking the name in advance.

Mr. Briles apparently has all the Certifications to work at a Texas High School. The School Board/Superintendent selected him for the job, what is the issue?

Ironically this morning on ESPNU (radio) they spent a fair amount of time discussing this very topic. It has been receiving some national attention, maybe not its own slot on PTI or around the horn but it is being discussed.

That's a hell of a message to send your young men and the community as a whole. May as well hire Ray Rice as your offensive coordinator.

Yeah I agree, it's a terrible thing to teach young men that people make mistakes and in most cases deserve a second chance. I don't like that way he handled things at Baylor, but let's not pretend he's the first guy to overlook some things in the name of winning. He paid dearly for his actions, there were no criminal charges against him, not sure why people think he shouldn't get a second chance to coach and maybe down the road redeem himself for his prior lack of action.

Let’s be clear, that POS collected $15 million to coach and for the almighty dollar ,turned his head ,or worse and fostered a rape culture to protect his financial interests. There is no defending him and should not be around youth to influence them. Have we gone mad ?

wrong doint

He was cleared of any criminal wrong doing but it you read his reactions to various things in his emails, I would not want him to coach my sons.

Yeah I agree, it's a terrible thing to teach young men that people make mistakes and in most cases deserve a second chance. I don't like that way he handled things at Baylor, but let's not pretend he's the first guy to overlook some things in the name of winning. He paid dearly for his actions, there were no criminal charges against him, not sure why people think he shouldn't get a second chance to coach and maybe down the road redeem himself for his prior lack of action.

You say, "in MOST cases" deserve a second chance. I agree with you, however this is not one of those cases. Also, he's going from coaching young men, to coaching kids. If you want him to coach your kids that's cool. Not me.

He was cleared of any criminal wrong doing but it you read his reactions to various things in his emails, I would not want him to coach my sons.

This. This was my major problem with the whole situation with this clown. Of course he was cleared of any criminal wrong doing. Doesn't negate the fact he acted like a complete d-bag and showed total disdain for the girls leveling the charges. D-bag is actually too nice for this guy.

Mr. Briles is no longer employable as a College or High School Coach is what I gather from this thread so far. He must interview really well to have landed the job. Think the School Board/Superintendent hired the most qualified person that applied? District could use some more money and Briles can help secure larger donations?

I’m going to assume that the people defending him here are not familiar with the facts of the case. Because if they are and they are still defending him ...

Art Briles has already had his second chance. In fact, at Baylor he had about 50 chances and chose to do the wrong thing every time. There are some acts that are so egregious that they permanently disqualify you from ever holding that position again. No one is saying he doesn’t have a second chance at life, he just should not have another chance at coaching football.

"Former Baylor football player Sam Ukwuachu's Sexual assault conviction has been OVERTURNED based on the DA's repeated misuse of cell phone evidence which had been excluded by judge to create false impression that his alibi witness roommate was not home at time of incident".

This and the other case, which the jury returned a "Not Guilty" verdict are two of main cases leading to the buyout of his contract. This is beginning to look like the Duke Lacrosse case all over again.